The Student Room Group

UK's eurovision entry has 5 more points knocked off

Scroll to see replies

The sooner the BBC stops wasting money on this tosh the better.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke

Why exactly? It's only a few hundred grand according to the Adam Smith institute so not exactly much at all. Besides membership of the EBU is not solely about Eurovision.

imagine being a sore loser to this extent lmfao. just understand that nobody in europe likes u n go <3
Original post by angelinahx
imagine being a sore loser to this extent lmfao. just understand that nobody in europe likes u n go <3

What do you mean, "sore loser"? What have I lost?
Original post by Napp
Why exactly? It's only a few hundred grand according to the Adam Smith institute so not exactly much at all. Besides membership of the EBU is not solely about Eurovision.

The cost is far more than thew cost of the entry fees. The Adam Smith Institute (that you clearly did not pay attention to) says it is between £4 million and £7.5 million.

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/is-eurovision-worth-the-cost
What do you mean, "sore loser"? What have I lost?

you literally keep getting s*it scores every year mate
Didn't even know it had been on.

Extent of my effs to give.
Reply 8
The cost is far more than thew cost of the entry fees. The Adam Smith Institute (that you clearly did not pay attention to) says it is between £4 million and £7.5 million.

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/is-eurovision-worth-the-cost

I presume you're trying to be a smart ass again and include the supplementary costs? Something I explicitly didnt count for the aforementioned reason.
Either way my point stands. It is not a lot of money.
you literally keep getting s*it scores every year mate

Scores for what? I enter no competition that gives annual scores. What are you drivelling about?
Original post by Napp
I presume you're trying to be a smart ass again and include the supplementary costs? Something I explicitly didnt count for the aforementioned reason.
Either way my point stands. It is not a lot of money.

Costs are costs matey.
Scores for what? I enter no competition that gives annual scores. What are you drivelling about?

,,,, y'alls country does tho
you're literally the laughing stock of europe because of brexit, no one likes u anymore. get ur stuff n go <3
Reply 12
Costs are costs matey.

Now you're just intentionally being dishonest. I can only assume this is your europhobia shining through in some queer fashion again as, and i cant stress this enough, it's a tv show. Chill out on the matter.
you're literally the laughing stock of europe because of brexit, no one likes u anymore. get ur stuff n go <3

You sound really bitter
Original post by YaliaV
You sound really bitter

i'm literally holding back tears from laughing so hard
Considering who won last year its pretty clear it isnt about who can sing well, but politics and being 'unique' (terrible) so obviously we will not win.
Original post by YaliaV
You sound really bitter

Lass was born and raised in London, but watched The Wire on Sky+ and uses y'all. So now in her head she lives in Baltimore.
Original post by Napp
Now you're just intentionally being dishonest.

Costs are not costs then? You astonish me. Do you realise how stupid it is to consider only the deposit for the house as the cost of getting accommodation, and to ignore the rent, mortgage, repair, council tax and maintenance costs. That is what you appear to want to do here.
I can only imagine people who get angry about it, are young and haven't seen that its pretty established that year after year we will do awfully.

I don't see the cost argument as having any validity.. we don't pay the money because we want to win - the BBC pays the money because people want to watch it, and per view, I am pretty sure it works out at a decent return. You would have to compare the return in viewership to other events, sporting and cultural, and see what the ration between cost and viewers is like. Given the BBC has been very willing to let go of events that demand to much money compared to viewers in the past, I doubt they are overpaying compare to how many people are watching.

As for why we don't win? Partly because we enter nobodies who are genuinely not the best entries anyway ( I have never watched a year and thought 'wow, the UK entry was the best' - and partly political. Most of Europe aren't to fond of us after all, especially not with brexit currently happening.

to be fair.. no one liked us before brexit either.

There has always been a separation between europe and the UK in the minds/hearts/history of the people of both sides. The distance between us and them maybe slightly worse because of brexit, but its not caused by brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending