The Student Room Group

Courses and subjects

Hey, for my 5th year at secondary school I have chosen the subjects Administration, biology, chemistry, English and politics all at higher.

I have been looking at a variety of different science courses and most of them require physics/maths or both.

I haven’t decided on a degree so would it be wise to do both physics and maths and if so, which subjects should I swap them for?

Thanks!
Original post by loganmawill
Hey, for my 5th year at secondary school I have chosen the subjects Administration, biology, chemistry, English and politics all at higher.

I have been looking at a variety of different science courses and most of them require physics/maths or both.

I haven’t decided on a degree so would it be wise to do both physics and maths and if so, which subjects should I swap them for?

Thanks!

What kinds of university degrees have you been looking at?

It might make sense for you to take English, Maths and Physics.

I might not recommend Administration. I didn't do the Higher course of it but I did do it at Int 2 (now Nat 5) and have various friends who did it at Higher. I actually found the course really useless and stupidly difficult to get a good grade in. I personally don't think it's worth it.

If I were you, I might consider taking 2 of the following: Bio, Chem, History, Modern Studies, Politics or RMPS (very interesting and easy to get a good mark in).
Original post by Quick-use
What kinds of university degrees have you been looking at?

It might make sense for you to take English, Maths and Physics.

I might not recommend Administration. I didn't do the Higher course of it but I did do it at Int 2 (now Nat 5) and have various friends who did it at Higher. I actually found the course really useless and stupidly difficult to get a good grade in. I personally don't think it's worth it.

If I were you, I might consider taking 2 of the following: Bio, Chem, History, Modern Studies, Politics or RMPS (very interesting and easy to get a good mark in).

I have just received my subject confirmation, I got all the subjects that I listed, what subjects do you think I should change for maths and physics?

I was looking at degrees in medicine, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering and
Medicinal and Biological Chemistry. I think I’m leaning more towards the research type of degrees and a way from pure medicine, I’m happy to take recommendations if you can think of any other degrees that i might be interested in,
I have just received my subject confirmation, I got all the subjects that I listed, what subjects do you think I should change for maths and physics?

I was looking at degrees in medicine, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering and
Medicinal and Biological Chemistry. I think I’m leaning more towards the research type of degrees and a way from pure medicine, I’m happy to take recommendations if you can think of any other degrees that i might be interested in,

In that case, I would recommend you take: English, Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

I can't think of other degrees in that you might be interested in as, admittedly, not my field of expertise. Continue researching universities and degrees. You could potentially also ask your teachers about degrees etc. :smile:

More than anything - there's no rush. Do S5 and see how you get along. You never know, you may find that you love a particular subject and want to continue it. On the other hand, you may find that you'd rather do something else. In which case, in S6, you could choose different subjects to do. :smile:
For Chemical Engineering at most universities maths and chemistry are required! Might be something worth thinking about.

Harry (third year chemical engineering student)

Thanks!

What was it that out you off choosing physics and maths originally? How are you expected to do in them in Nat 5?
Original post by Labrador99
What was it that out you off choosing physics and maths originally? How are you expected to do in them in Nat 5?

I wanted to do them. The national 5’s I did were biology, chemistry, physics, maths, English and administration. My mum said if I did not do admin or a social subject, she would not sign my form.

I really don’t want to do admin and I don’t mind politics. I just think maths and physics will benefit me more for what I want to do. Also, my exams went better than I thought they would
I wanted to do them. The national 5’s I did were biology, chemistry, physics, maths, English and administration. My mum said if I did not do admin or a social subject, she would not sign my form.

I really don’t want to do admin and I don’t mind politics. I just think maths and physics will benefit me more for what I want to do. Also, my exams went better than I thought they would

In that case, I definitely think that swapping admin for either maths or physics would be a good idea. There isn't a course that needs all of maths, physics, biology and chemistry, but obviously if you're undecided about what you want to do after school and some of them require different combinations of those, doing them all might give you options (though most courses aren't too fussy about whether you do the required subjects in S5 or 6, so it's up to you if you want to do them all this year). If your mum's preferences are the main thing that is stopping you from doing both maths and physics, then I'd say do them both. If you do want to do politics, you can always pick up the other one in S6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending