The Student Room Group

Vegans, I have a question

I realise the title makes me sound like a vegan hater or something but I'm not ahah I have a genuine question.

I know a lot of vegans are vegan to save the enivornment, animal cruelty etc. but if you had chickens, and knew they were being taken good care of, would you eat the eggs??
Yeah, I'd eat the eggs. In fact in the past I've gone to small local chicken farming establishments and thoroughly checked them out, determined that they meet my standards of humaneness, and bought eggs from them.

I'm curious why you ask?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Yeah, I'd eat the eggs. In fact in the past I've gone to small local chicken farming establishments and thoroughly checked them out, determined that they meet my standards of humaneness, and bought eggs from them.

I'm curious why you ask?

It was a shower thought ahah
The backyard hen egg issue is a highly debated in the vegan community.:smile:

It's an admirable thing to get rescue hens and that but I'd personally wouldn't eat it. Don't feel the need to consume animal products, for example, I wouldn't get a rescue pregnant cow and just drink her milk for the duration she produces it! Also perpetuates seeing animals as "for us" rather than "with us". Maybe I'd break the egg and let the hen eat it( :dontknow: ), they have been engineered to lay a lot of eggs and I imagine they loose some nutrients?

This is interesting: https://freefromharm.org/farm-animal-welfare/backyard-chickens-expanding-understanding-harm/
Original post by caitlinhayes
I realise the title makes me sound like a vegan hater or something but I'm not ahah I have a genuine question.

I know a lot of vegans are vegan to save the enivornment, animal cruelty etc. but if you had chickens, and knew they were being taken good care of, would you eat the eggs??

Oooo this is a good question. Im going vegan mainly for animal welfare but also a lot of vegans and me in some ways feel like these animal products are food. Like they dont see these things as food and therefore dont fancy it/want to eat it if you get me!
SOphia
Reply 5
Yes because I only don’t eat eggs because I disagree with the egg industry, how they blend up baby male chicks and keep the majority of chickens in tiny little cages their whole life

Heya, I'm vegan and if I had some chickens, then I wouldn't mind eating their eggs (I actually hate eggs but I would use them to make cake yumm)
my aunty rescued some chickens from being slaughtered and looked after them at home as pets and when they produced eggs naturally we really enjoyed them :smile:

I personally wouldn't - but could give them to friends to use rather than them buying supermarket eggs?

bloody ell lads luv me a sosig roll i do, cannae do wivout a greggs y'know.
don't hate vegans or anything like just don't rate salad, yea?

anyway, bloodeh torries stole are alfie and are ant from Ant & Dec Saturday Night Live.
Original post by jenhasdreams
I personally wouldn't - but could give them to friends to use rather than them buying supermarket eggs?

more like supermarket GREGGS am i right lad?
ahaha anyway I wish my hag wife would give me a son, been trying to get the ol' dynasty running like

Quick Reply

Latest