The Student Room Group

Questions For The Atheist

I know very little about the Atheist. Do help me.

1. Do Atheists believe a thing with no conscious, will or choice created them and that which they see all around them?

2. Is it normal for Atheists to wake up one day not believing in a God and then wake up another day with belief of one?

3. When a person passes away and they are in their grave do Atheists believe that such person is merely being rearranged (decomposition). For example, if a person's mother or another relative passed away would this belief be constant?

4. What do Atheists worship? If not anything I would like to ask is it possible for a person to not worship anything?

5. Do Atheists believe that their parents 'gave them' life so their parents can also do such thing when they die?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m an atheist so I’m glad to help! 1. I don’t believe a supernatural being created the earth or humans, I believe that it was all a massive coincidence that we exist due to the Big Bang happening in the right place at the right time. 2. It’s neither normal nor abnormal to wake up with different beliefs to the day before - that’s just life! As you grow up you change and your beliefs sometimes change too, so I may become religious when I’m older (unlikely at the moment). 3. Yes. I believe that when a body is buried they are just decomposing. When I die, this is why I want to be cremated. 4. I don’t really “worship” anything like religious people worship gods etc. I do have morals and beliefs that I’m connected to, but wouldn’t say I’m completely devoted to in the same way as religious people may be devoted to god! I have clear goals that I want to achieve, but I don’t worship them or anything else. 5. I do believe that my parents gave me life, because they literally did! They created me out of their own genetics and DNA. I don’t really understand what you mean when you say “so they can also do such thing when they die”? Hope this helped!
Original post by Mohammed SaIah

1. Do Atheists believe a thing with no conscious, will or choice created them and that which they see all around them? No.

2. Is it normal for Atheists to wake up one day not believing in a God and then wake up another day with belief of one? No

3. When a person passes away and they are in their grave do Atheists believe that such person is merely being rearranged (decomposition). Yes For example, if a person's mother or another relative passed away would this belief be constant? Yes. Anything else would be wishful thinking

4. What do Atheists worship? Nothing. If not anything I would like to ask is it possible for a person to not worship anything? Of course it is; millions don't, the majority of educated Europeans don't

5. Do Atheists believe that their parents 'gave them' life Only in the sense of merging their genes and so their parents can also do such thing when they die? Don't be silly

See answers in the quotation. Don't make the mistake of thinking all atheists have the same views.
Reply 3
Boy I wonder how this thread will turn out.

1. I don't believe any one thing specifically 'created' the universe. The very beginning itself is a bit of a scientific mystery, but everything since then is explainable by natural physical phenomena.

2. Religion is a pretty big commitment, don't you think? It's not something one would spontaneously decide to commit themselves to do.

3. Death is death. As I see it, that's all that happens, regardless of my emotional attachment to whom it happens to.

4. I don't worship anything really. I have a sense of right and wrong and there are subjective things that I believe, but I think that this is independent of religious worship.

5. Yeah I don't understand what you mean here either. If you're asking if I think my existence solely due to my parents, then yes. Just happened to be the lucky sperm.
So a typical Atheist would ignore the concept of a supernatural being altogether? When you say a "massive coincidence" what does that actually mean? I can't seem to grasp that. It seems quite difficult to get my head around an idea of no choice or will. Regardless, do you think what we experience on a day to day basis would not suggest some sort of consciousness or speciifc interest in having things as they are for us? I know quite little of the Big Bang. I have come across Muslims who use Qur'an to back up their belief of a Big Bang probably slightly different to yours. So, it is not strange for you to sometimes have a belief of a God once in a while. If you don't worship are you not in some way still devoted towards something like your life goals.

I find it so strange. For example, you just mentioned something about the future almost as though you had certainty of seeing another day. As a Muslim we have to almost always have death on our mind. I don't want to really question your morals but is it something you pick up here and there as opposed to finding it in religion? About your parents I just meant that do you not believe that the giver of life should be able to give you life once you died?
Original post by eashdown17
Hi I’m an atheist so I’m glad to help! 1. I don’t believe a supernatural being created the earth or humans, I believe that it was all a massive coincidence that we exist due to the Big Bang happening in the right place at the right time. 2. It’s neither normal nor abnormal to wake up with different beliefs to the day before - that’s just life! As you grow up you change and your beliefs sometimes change too, so I may become religious when I’m older (unlikely at the moment). 3. Yes. I believe that when a body is buried they are just decomposing. When I die, this is why I want to be cremated. 4. I don’t really “worship” anything like religious people worship gods etc. I do have morals and beliefs that I’m connected to, but wouldn’t say I’m completely devoted to in the same way as religious people may be devoted to god! I have clear goals that I want to achieve, but I don’t worship them or anything else. 5. I do believe that my parents gave me life, because they literally did! They created me out of their own genetics and DNA. I don’t really understand what you mean when you say “so they can also do such thing when they die”? Hope this helped!
When you say a "massive coincidence" what does that actually mean? I can't seem to grasp that. It seems quite difficult to get my head around an idea of no choice or will.

Clearly, or you would not be prepared to entertain preposterous ideas about flying horses, djinns and angels. Who says we have no choice or will? I believe we do. You are the one who believes that your deity knows what is going to happen, which obviously implies you have no decisions to make.
As an Atheist might not like me putting all Atheists in the same group do you not think it's quite unfair to do it with religion (to say all religions require big commitment). Is it normal for Atheists to evaluate one religion and assume all religion are like the one they evaluated? We clearly differ. I can't see death as just death. It as you might agree simply removes any idea of purpose. If you don't worship do you not believe that there will always be something you devote yourself to? For example, I believe some people literally take their desires as their God. As for your view regarding yourself and your parents... I couldn't possibly agree on that. It goes back to the question of your forefathers and their existence.
Original post by Sinnoh
Boy I wonder how this thread will turn out.

1. I don't believe any one thing specifically 'created' the universe. The very beginning itself is a bit of a scientific mystery, but everything since then is explainable by natural physical phenomena.

2. Religion is a pretty big commitment, don't you think? It's not something one would spontaneously decide to commit themselves to do.

3. Death is death. As I see it, that's all that happens, regardless of my emotional attachment to whom it happens to.

4. I don't worship anything really. I have a sense of right and wrong and there are subjective things that I believe, but I think that this is independent of religious worship.

5. Yeah I don't understand what you mean here either. If you're asking if I think my existence solely due to my parents, then yes. Just happened to be the lucky sperm.
Interesting point. So you have an issue with a deity that knows all things? Would it make more sense to you if this deity who created you and I did not know what was going to happen? To me it seems understandable that a deity would not lose out on knowledge regarding anything. With all the attributes of this deity it doesn't seem hard to also say that such deity gives us free will which you believe we have.
Original post by Good bloke
Clearly, or you would not be prepared to entertain preposterous ideas about flying horses, djinns and angels. Who says we have no choice or will? I believe we do. You are the one who believes that your deity knows what is going to happen, which obviously implies you have no decisions to make.
(edited 4 years ago)
Interesting point. So you have an issue with a deity that knows all things? Would it make more sense to you if this deity who created you and I did not know what was going to happen? To me it seems understandable that a deity would not lose out on knowledge regarding anything. With all the attributes of this deity it doesn't seem hard to also say that such deity gives us free will which you believe we have.

There is no credible evidence for the existence of any kind of deity, and plenty of evidence to the effect that all the deities man have ever named have been invented by men, including yours.
I'm just going to say what I believe, I believe no higher power created us, I believe that after you die you just seize to exist, I believe all religions are fabricated and to end it I believe my entire existence is a chance occurrence that in the larger scale of things has no meaning or significance.

But that doesnt stop me from enjoying my life with the people I love and care about.
Atheists worship Beyoncê.
So now we have the chance to think about credibility. So the demand here is some sort of evidence yet that desired evidence can't exactly be described? Is it normal that when an Atheist is asked about what evidence will suffice they simply respond with 'I don't know?' Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, as we have come to the idea of credible evidence... what evidence exists to suggest man only created these concept of a deity?
There is no credible evidence for the existence of any kind of deity, and plenty of evidence to the effect that all the deities man have ever named have been invented by men, including yours.
what evidence exists to suggest man only created these concept of a deity?

Many thousands of gods have been put forward by men and named. How many of them do you believe is a genuine deity? How many do you think were invented? How many are genuine, in your view?
Am I right in saying that this is quite a common belief or view? Do you think your views are in some way convenient? It's not rare to find that man takes what is easy. For example, choosing between a deity who is to be worshipped and something like mother nature or whatever such thing goes by. I would consider myself arrogant to say nothing above me in power created me. Do you still believe in a higher power that simply didn't create us but watched us being created? That would sort of lead to Polytheism.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I'm just going to say what I believe, I believe no higher power created us, I believe that after you die you just seize to exist, I believe all religions are fabricated and to end it I believe my entire existence is a chance occurrence that in the larger scale of things has no meaning or significance.

But that doesnt stop me from enjoying my life with the people I love and care about.

1. Do Atheists believe a thing with no conscious, will or choice created them and that which they see all around them?

2. Is it normal for Atheists to wake up one day not believing in a God and then wake up another day with belief of one?

3. When a person passes away and they are in their grave do Atheists believe that such person is merely being rearranged (decomposition). For example, if a person's mother or another relative passed away would this belief be constant?

4. What do Atheists worship? If not anything I would like to ask is it possible for a person to not worship anything?

5. Do Atheists believe that their parents 'gave them' life so their parents can also do such thing when they die?

1. yes
2. dont know
3. yes, death is irreversible, nothing can be done about it, all thats happening is that the person is becoming a product of the environment.
4. no one to worship because good advice and morals can be given by many people from different cultures, so i listen to alot of peoples advice and use that to decide what i believe to be moral.
5. yes, second part no.
Fair enough. You acknowledge that people differ in views of what is genuine and what is not. Why do you assume that the God these people reffered to is a different God? For example, if I believe in Allāh and a Chrisitan believes in God. Do you not know that the Muslim and Christian would still accept that they differ in beliefs or interpretation but it doesn't change Allāh or our creator merely because we humans attribute wrongly to Allāh. For example, a man of the past could attribute human features to God but does him saying that bring into existence another creator? I would say no. Also, I genuinely believe that most worshipped the same one God though they attributed wrongly or worshipped through means that might not be agreed on.

Many thousands of gods have been put forward by men and named. How many of them do you believe is a genuine deity? How many do you think were invented? How many are genuine, in your view?
Am I right in saying that this is quite a common belief or view?

Yes, many people are Atheists or just follow these beliefs and views, one could say they're actually facts that atheists follow and accept, not beliefs.

Do you think your views are in some way convenient?
It's not rare to find that man takes what is easy. For example, choosing between a deity who is to be worshipped and something like mother nature or whatever such thing goes by.

Not at all, I'm an Atheist because I don't believe in God, not because I don't want to pray or fast, there's a bigger scale here, and I don't think not wanting to fast or pray is as much of a large scale as your beliefs, be it religious or philosophical.

I don't worship anything just to be clear, I don't know where that 'mother nature' bit came from, I don't worship anything, not a God, not the moon, not the sun and not an animal, nothing.

I would consider myself arrogant to say nothing above me in power created me.

Why's that?

On the contrary I find it arrogant to assume and believe that you're so important that something has created you and created this entire universe for you, cares for you and loves you and only looks towards you, I find that to be the arrogant thing to believe.

Do you still believe in a higher power that simply didn't create us but watched us being created? That would sort of lead to Polytheism.

No.
(edited 4 years ago)
What is this Beyoncê you mention?
Original post by Baron of Sealand
Atheists worship Beyoncê.
Why do you assume that the God these people reffered to is a different God?

I do not assume. They tell that is the case. The Romans tell us that Mars is not the same god as Mercury, for instance. The Norse tell us that Loki is not Thor. Do you believe these gods are genuine gods?
I'm starting to think Atheism doesn't exist. I don't see it. When speaking to people who claim to be Atheist it seems more like Misotheism rather than Atheism. There's always a negative experience or something triggering the need to oppose any form of deity that has power above them. It seems like arrogance to me as well as some sort of hatred towards the one deity.

Regarding mother nature I meant do you neglect or choose not to believe in a God worthy of worship because it removes acts of worship on your behalf? Is that the sole reason? I see people choose not to do such and such but do people truly not believe in a God or is it that they believe but simply ignore worship etc.

Muslims don't really suggest that they are of great value or importance in that sense. We truly believe that mankind is easy to replace.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Yes, many people are Atheists or just follow these beliefs and views, one could say they're actually facts that atheists follow and accept, not beliefs.

Not at all, I'm an Atheist because I don't believe in God, not because I don't want to pray or fast, there's a bigger scale here, and I don't think not wanting to fast or pray is as much of a large scale as your beliefs, be it religious or philosophical.

I don't worship anything just to be clear, I don't know where that 'mother nature' bit came from, I don't worship anything, not a God, not the moon, not the sun and not an animal, nothing.

Why's that?

On the contrary I find it arrogant to assume and believe that you're so important that something has created you and created this entire universe for you, cares for you and loves you and only looks towards you, I find that to be the arrogant thing to believe.

No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending