The Student Room Group

I'm a feminist AMA

Hey, I'm a feminist, I'm sure this threads already been done but if you'd like to ask me anything go ahead. I will answer anything

Scroll to see replies

are you a feminazi or just the average one?

are you male of female?

what made you want to be a feminist, like, how did you hear about it, where did you learn about it, what persuaded you to be a feminist?

and what are ideas/beliefs/opinions you now have from being a feminist?
(edited 4 years ago)
Why do you think women are better than me? Eventhough we're clearly better at nearly everything. Men and Women deserve equal rights but to say we're equals as a gender is rather stupid, it's much more correct to say the genders are in an equilibrium. Men are better at most things but the race will end without women's reproduction capabilities.

Is the pay gap a meme or do you genuinely believe that there is a pay gap in countries like the UK?
Meh
Reply 4
What do you feel about the gender pay gap in Fashion Modelling? - Should men have the same pay and opportunities as women in this field?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Well this AMA has gone well
Reply 6
Keep on keeping on!

(yeah I know that wasn't a question)
Original post by Leviathan1611
are you a feminazi or just the average one?

are you male of female?

what made you want to be a feminist, like, how did you hear about it, where did you learn about it, what persuaded you to be a feminist?

and what are ideas/beliefs/opinions you now have from being a feminist?

Hi!
I think like 0.1% of feminists are 'feminazis' as you call them. I think men are awesome and most feminists like myself think we should celebrate both masculinity and femininity!
So I'm female (although men can be feminists too!)
I wanted to be a feminist because my friend went through an abusive relationship and she wasn't taken seriously by the police. Another reason is that one of my best guy friends struggles with mental health but because of the horrible stereotypes surrounding what it means to be a man, he was too afraid to get help.
Both those situations illustrated to me the problems surrounding gender, the different ways in which men and women suffer, and it made me want to be a part of a movement which fights for both men and women.
When did I learn about feminism? When I was 11 years old I read a book about feminism. At first I was afraid to openly call myself a feminist because of the stereotypes, but then I realised I cared more about taking a stand than a couple uneducated boys who called me names.
Thanks for taking part, message me if you have more questions or if you'd like some clarification :smile:
Original post by Anotheranon
Hi!
I think like 0.1% of feminists are 'feminazis' as you call them. I think men are awesome and most feminists like myself think we should celebrate both masculinity and femininity!
So I'm female (although men can be feminists too!)
I wanted to be a feminist because my friend went through an abusive relationship and she wasn't taken seriously by the police. Another reason is that one of my best guy friends struggles with mental health but because of the horrible stereotypes surrounding what it means to be a man, he was too afraid to get help.
Both those situations illustrated to me the problems surrounding gender, the different ways in which men and women suffer, and it made me want to be a part of a movement which fights for both men and women.
When did I learn about feminism? When I was 11 years old I read a book about feminism. At first I was afraid to openly call myself a feminist because of the stereotypes, but then I realised I cared more about taking a stand than a couple uneducated boys who called me names.
Thanks for taking part, message me if you have more questions or if you'd like some clarification :smile:

thanks for answering🙂, I have some more questions

what exactly is a feminist by your definition?

what exactly do feminists believe that is say, different to what people believed in the 1800s/1900s etc. like, what's the difference in ideas between a feminist and a non-feminist or even anti-feminist?
Original post by BigLPutItOn
Why do you think women are better than me? Eventhough we're clearly better at nearly everything. Men and Women deserve equal rights but to say we're equals as a gender is rather stupid, it's much more correct to say the genders are in an equilibrium. Men are better at most things but the race will end without women's reproduction capabilities.

Is the pay gap a meme or do you genuinely believe that there is a pay gap in countries like the UK?

Hi!
I hope you won't be offended if I say I think you may have the wrong end of the stick. I love men! I think they are great and masculinity is something to be celebrated. I think men and women are equals, and saying that isn't an attempt to erase the fact that we are different. We are different, but in the same way ice cream isn't superior to cake just because they're different, neither gender is superior. I don't think you understand what equilibrium means, the context you've used it in is very strange coming from an English university student.
There is a pay gap, that is proven by fact, but for a very complicated reason. The pay gap exists not because a man and a woman who enter the same job are paid different amounts. It's way more complex, and doesn't mean that women and men are paid differently for the same job. It means that the average man is paid less than the average woman. This is for a number of reasons-
-Unfortunately some bosses don't see women as leadership material and don't promote them.
- Women are taught from a very young age that if they speak out or ask for things that they're a *****, so they learn to stay quiet and settle. This means they don't ask for promotions for fear of being called bossy, *****y, demanding, when a man would be seen as taking the initiative and being a leader.
- Women are taught from a very young age that it's their responsibility to care for the children. In the modern world, women are still seen as the ones who are primarily responsible for childcare, even though they also work. This means they have less time to work and get promotions. If we taught parents that they are equally responsible for their children then maybe this would stop, but at the moment, in the majority of cases, mums are expected to put the most work in
There are lots of other reasons, if u want more, post in this thread and I'll happily post some more reasons for the gender pay gap. Have a lovely day!
Original post by Molseh
What do you feel about the gender pay gap in Fashion Modelling? - Should men have the same pay and opportunities as women in this field?

I'll be honest, I'm not really into fashion and I don't really know much about it. Would you mind explaining it to me a bit, I don't want just spout out an answer without knowing about the subject properly! Thanks for taking part in this thread
Original post by LordBerkut
Do you agree that it's shameful that there aren't more women on the board of Lockheed Martin?

Do you think the amount of media airtime given to frivolities such as FGM distracts from real issues, such as manspreading?

Hey, I know this is a troll but I'm going to respond anyway cause I said i'd respond to any question lol.
I've never heard of lockhead martin, would you mind explaining?
In terms of your second question, I know you're kidding (obviously) but FGM and manspreading are interesting issues so I'll talk about that a bit.
FGM is a super serious issue, and charities set up by feminist organisations are helping combat it every day, part of the reason why I'm so proud to be part of this movement.
In terms of manspreading- like 99% of feminists I don't believe it's a real thing. Unfortunately on the news, you only ever hear about the 1% who think it is. Most of us are concentrating on ending period poverty and encouraging education for women in LEDCs.
I know it's easy and fun to believe that feminists all hate men and get offended and riled up over stuff like 'manspreading', but it's simply not true. Feminists like myself aren't out to attack men, we want to help them, just like we want to help women and we care about the really important issues. Please feel free to ask any more questions, like I said I will answer anything
Original post by Many-Faced God
What is feminism?
And don't tell it's the belief and advocacy that men and women are equal. Because what does that even men. Equal in what sense? Clearly not in form.

Hi! Thanks for posting. So many people have asked me this, and I get that's its difficult to understand at first because it's hard to understand how men and women can be equal when they are so different right? I believe that men and women are equal physically and intellectually. Intellectually, you'd probably agree with, but many people are shocked when I say physically. After all, surely men are stronger, faster etc. But there's also many things physically that women can do but men can't. They can carry a child for example, and feed a child. So men and women have different skills physically, but my ability to hold a child doesn't make me physically better than a man, nor does his strength make him better than me. We're good at different things, in the same way that ice cream and cake are good at different things. In other words, we have different strengths physically, but none of those strengths are superior to the others. Ice cream and cake are great in different ways, doesn't mean one is superior. We're different and we should celebrate those differences, and recognise that one type of physical strength isn't better than the other. That's why I think men and women are equals physically and intellectually and that's why I'm a feminist
That's just my ideas, but feel free to argue against that or ask more about that. I don't know if I've done the idea justice
welcome to the feminist squad shmuck
Hey, I'm logging off to do some uni work now but I promise I'll respond to all your questions within 2-3 hours. Keep asking away and I will answer everyone by the end of the day :smile: sorry for the inconvenience guys
What wave of feminism do you most agree with?
Original post by Anotheranon
Hey, I'm a feminist, I'm sure this threads already been done but if you'd like to ask me anything go ahead. I will answer anything

I've lost my left shoe... have you seen it?
Original post by LegitDragoNinja
What wave of feminism do you most agree with?

That's a tough question- each wave was great and important but there were probems with each wave. The first wave was all about getting the vote but it focused too much on getting it for rich white women at first. The second wave was also good because it focused on securing legislation such as the 1970 sex discrimination act to give more women control over their bodies and power in the work place, however again it wasn't very inclusive- still focused on white working women. The third wave (what we're going through now) is great because it has this huge focus on making sure that feminism included everyone, but I don't like the manspreading thing. I guess I think the third wave is the best
I
Original post by JoshJoshJoshJosh
I've lost my left shoe... have you seen it?

Under your desk near the laptop cable

Quick Reply

Latest