The Student Room Group
Original post by rb_1
I had little pieces of notes in my pocket during a exam and when out to the toilet when we was just about to enter the notes fell out of my pocket. My school said they were going to write up a statement and send it to the exam board and included my version of the story. Do you think I would be disqualified ?

Why did you take revision notes into the exam and have them on your person?
What would you think if you caught someone else in a similar situation?
What is your version of the story?
Doesn't look great tbh
Probably have to take action against you, looks like a clear attempt to cheat.
Reply 4
Were your notes related to the exam you were about to sit?
Were you aware you had these notes in your pocket? - I mean you could have been using them for revision but forgot to leave then outside of the exam.

Original post by rb_1
I had little pieces of notes in my pocket during a exam and when out to the toilet when we was just about to enter the notes fell out of my pocket. My school said they were going to write up a statement and send it to the exam board and included my version of the story. Do you think I would be disqualified ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes you will get a U grade (fail) in that GCSE and maybe all your other GCSEs if they chose so
Original post by rb_1

Yes - almost certainly. It's clear cheating - the paper will be awarded zero, or you will be disqualified from the qualification.

I can't even imagine why you would do something like that. How entirely stupid of you!
oh no u probably fail then i feel sorry for you tbh palxx
they’ll probably think you made an attempt to cheat 🤦🏽*♀️ highly likely that you’ll be disqualified and the whole exam board may prohibit you from sitting any exam within their board.

silly idea 🤦🏽*♀️
Reply 9
It does not look good but they need to prove you were attempting to cheat.

If you had kept your notes in your pocket in error then it is a unfortunate mistake but not cheating because that was not your intention. It's all about intention - if you had notes in your pocket to revise prior to the exam - do you have any witnesses who can help you?
I sincerely hope that you will only be disqualified from that exam, and not from the entire qualification.
Reply 11
Original post by Suley143

If you had kept your notes in your pocket in error then it is a unfortunate mistake but not cheating because that was not your intention. It's all about intention - if you had notes in your pocket to revise prior to the exam - do you have any witnesses who can help you?

They do not need to prove anything. They can make whatever decision they want without any proof. This is their system, not the law.
Obviously it isn't the law. Not prove but they need evidence. You draw conclusions and make decisions from facts not opinions or someones theory.
Original post by AsithU
They do not need to prove anything. They can make whatever decision they want without any proof. This is their system, not the law.
Reply 13
Obviously it isn't the law. Not prove but they need evidence. You draw conclusions and make decisions from facts not opinions or someones theory.

No. The rule isn't "no cheating", it's "no notes taken into the exam hall." The fact is he broke the rule, it's not a theory. exam board will do whatever they want with or without evidence of cheating. Sorry but you can't change this.

This is incorrect.

Having notes or writing about your person whilst taking an examination is considered an examination offence. If you had notes in your pocket to 'revise prior to the examination' then it's incumbent upon you to ensure you have removed these notes prior to entering the examination room.

If you like legal analogy, it's 'strict liability'. As it should be.
Original post by AsithU
No. The rule isn't "no cheating", it's "no notes taken into the exam hall." The fact is he broke the rule, it's not a theory. exam board will do whatever they want with or without evidence of cheating. Sorry but you can't change this.

Correct. The very fact that he had the notes about his person means he is guilty of malpractice in the examination. In every examination there is a poster with a clear warning that you 'must not have in your possession any material which could give you an unfair advantage'.

The candidate will be disqualified from the examination and the work awarded zero.
Reply 16
Hi what happened did you just receive 0 marks for the exam or were you disqualified from all of them?