The Student Room Group

Othello question AQA Lit paper 1

quite a tough question - Roderigo and Brabantio. Two characters, one minor - how did you all get on?
I went into that exam so confident and literally found it SO difficult.

I mentioned Roderigo being a mechanism used by Iago in order to overthrow Othello and Cassio. Brabantio failing at his duty as a father to protect her - leading to her being murdered by the protagonist. etc.

I did make reference to Desdemona's assertiveness however fundamentally being controlled due to the patriarchal nature of a Renaissance society. I also mentioned Iago being the manipulator who instigates everything.

Overall - i think I did badly on the paper. I'm so upset about it. :frown: What about you?
I talked about how Brabantio hyperbolically asserts "O treason of the blood", reflecting the Elizabethan male need to control women. The disowning her stems from the stigma of being unable to control ones daughter bc context, women are supposed to obey the father and from the continual theme of reputation and Brabantio's pride. I talked about how Roderigo emphasizes that Desdemona has married without Brabantio's permission suggesting it's possession rather than love driving the distaste for the marriage. Roderigo refers to Othello as a "lascivious moor" --> suggesting hatred is racialized in nature and that his hubris is driving the distaste for the marriage because Desdemona chooses Othello (who is classified as the Other in Venetian society) over white Roderigo. I talked about how Brabantio suggests that Othello has enchanted Desdemona and Roderigo affirmatively says "yes", suggesting both of them situate her as passive and are thus driven by possessiveness as it's unimaginable to them that Desdemona consents - sharply contrasting Othello's "she had eyes and chose me" and "my fair warrior" examples of equality up until the climax in Act 3 Scene 3 which indicates his love for her. Othello's treatment of Desdemona as an equal highlights his love for her and the juxtaposition to Othello's treatment highlights that they are not driven by love.

It was a ****ing **** question and I really ****ing hope we collectively did **** as a nation so I don't have to end up with a ****ing **** grade so they lower the grade boundaries for that paper.
Reply 3
I'm a private tutor- my son sat this today. He is on for A* but he found this threw him a bit -I'm so annoyed with it. They set the porter for Macbeth GCSE and Poole from Jekyll and Hyde! (different board- but minor characters.) I covered bloody everything with my tutees, but even so....Your responses look really good - have confidence. It will hopefully bring boundary down on this question and usually it turns out to be fair in the end so you get pretty much what you are expected to get. P****** me off though!! Two characters as well!! But remember there's coursework, tow other questions and awhile other paper to shine!

Original post by cheerIeader
I went into that exam so confident and literally found it SO difficult.

I mentioned Roderigo being a mechanism used by Iago in order to overthrow Othello and Cassio. Brabantio failing at his duty as a father to protect her - leading to her being murdered by the protagonist. etc.

I did make reference to Desdemona's assertiveness however fundamentally being controlled due to the patriarchal nature of a Renaissance society. I also mentioned Iago being the manipulator who instigates everything.

Overall - i think I did badly on the paper. I'm so upset about it. :frown: What about you?
Reply 4
sorry predictive text - a whole other paper!
Original post by Ginb900
I'm a private tutor- my son sat this today. He is on for A* but he found this threw him a bit -I'm so annoyed with it. They set the porter for Macbeth GCSE and Poole from Jekyll and Hyde! (different board- but minor characters.) I covered bloody everything with my tutees, but even so....Your responses look really good - have confidence. It will hopefully bring boundary down on this question and usually it turns out to be fair in the end so you get pretty much what you are expected to get. P****** me off though!! Two characters as well!! But remember there's coursework, tow other questions and awhile other paper to shine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending