The Student Room Group

Who do I VOTE FOR?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks everyone, I do think I'm going to vote for the Brexit Party... they seem like the kinda woke UKIP (no chance I'm voting for them!)... here we go to my first vote ever!!
tbh it's pretty much like choosing wallpaper for the Titanic... whether you go for the severe stripes or the pretty floral design it will all end the same way

:emo:
Original post by carol.leader
Thanks everyone, I do think I'm going to vote for the Brexit Party... they seem like the kinda woke UKIP (no chance I'm voting for them!)... here we go to my first vote ever!!

I'm in the same position as you: it'll be my second vote and I'll be voting for the Brexit Party :smile:
Original post by the bear
tbh it's pretty much like choosing wallpaper for the Titanic... whether you go for the severe stripes or the pretty floral design it will all end the same way

:emo:

I prefer critical stripes over severe stripes though.
Original post by Kian Stevens
Why should we have the mindset of if we stay in the EU, considering the leave result has been put in law and at this point in time it's essentially the default option?
Furthermore... Why should leave supporters not vote for what they believe in?

These elections literally do relate to Brexit, which in turn literally does relate to EU parliament (I don't understand why you think it doesn't) and that's exactly why the Brexit Party has been founded
The Brexit Party doesn't have a manifesto as present, but in terms of policies I believe they loosely relate to UKIP's but straying away from the far-right aspect which UKIP has stupidly devolved into

exactly the leave result is being honoured. if we do leave the EU we will lose the seat in the EU parliament so in the long term this will make no difference whether you vote for a leave or a remain party. but if Brexit does fall through you want someone who is going to properly represent you in the EU parliament
I wouldn’t vote for the Brexit Party, not just because I’m a remainer, but because it’s more like a company than a political party, which I don’t agree with. Although I do get that pro-Brexiters don’t have a lot of choice when it comes to voting, as every party is a complete shambles
Original post by Prussianxo
exactly the leave result is being honoured. if we do leave the EU we will lose the seat in the EU parliament so in the long term this will make no difference whether you vote for a leave or a remain party. but if Brexit does fall through you want someone who is going to properly represent you in the EU parliament

No, because other parties i.e. Labour and even the Conservatives are now all for remain and are backing a second referendum, and so aren't wanting to honour the leave result

The person to properly represent us in EU parliament is Farage: he's determined, has bottle, and has been in that parliament for 25 years. Let's get him some real driving force and vote for the man
Original post by kitkatkate281
I wouldn’t vote for the Brexit Party, not just because I’m a remainer, but because it’s more like a company than a political party, which I don’t agree with. Although I do get that pro-Brexiters don’t have a lot of choice when it comes to voting, as every party is a complete shambles

How is it more like a company? Where's the purely business side to it which would make it more company-like...?
No, because other parties i.e. Labour and even the Conservatives are now all for remain and are backing a second referendum, and so aren't wanting to honour the leave result

The person to properly represent us in EU parliament is Farage: he's determined, has bottle, and has been in that parliament for 25 years. Let's get him some real driving force and vote for the man

you've completely ignored what I've said just to advertise farage. even if the Labour party won 100% of the seats in the European parliament it wouldn't change whether we remain or leave. that's the UK parliament's decision, all the EU parliament does is decide legislation for while we're in the EU.
therefore it isn't a leave Vs remain election
How is it more like a company? Where's the purely business side to it which would make it more company-like...?

I don’t know why I said company, but I can’t think of the right word. What I mean is it’s a party made by Farage who voted himself as leader, with only one policy (Brexit). I get why people are voting for it but the Brexit Party is not established enough to ever run the country, or any other type of political affair.
you've completely ignored what I've said just to advertise farage. even if the Labour party won 100% of the seats in the European parliament it wouldn't change whether we remain or leave. that's the UK parliament's decision, all the EU parliament does is decide legislation for while we're in the EU.
therefore it isn't a leave Vs remain election

My point is that people are voting with leave/remain intention, and for good reason too
I don't get why you feel as though these elections won't have any influence at all on Brexit
If a remain party won 100% of the seats, and in EU parliament they advocated to remain in the EU, then new talks with the EU would be made and a second referendum would most likely to be made
Whether we remain or leave is a joint matter between both parliaments, if it was absolutely out decision then we'd be out by now, the negotiations and pushbacks only come from the EU parliament being excessively difficult
I don’t know why I said company, but I can’t think of the right word. What I mean is it’s a party made by Farage who voted himself as leader, with only one policy (Brexit). I get why people are voting for it but the Brexit Party is not established enough to ever run the country, or any other type of political affair.

Farage founded the party and is the leader by default, that would've happened with all parties when they were first established
The Brexit Party do have other policies at heart, just not a manifesto, and a win in these elections would be a stepping stone to progression of the party
Green party
My point is that people are voting with leave/remain intention, and for good reason too
I don't get why you feel as though these elections won't have any influence at all on Brexit
If a remain party won 100% of the seats, and in EU parliament they advocated to remain in the EU, then new talks with the EU would be made and a second referendum would most likely to be made
Whether we remain or leave is a joint matter between both parliaments, if it was absolutely out decision then we'd be out by now, the negotiations and pushbacks only come from the EU parliament being excessively difficult

but the EU parliament has nothing to do with a second referendum. if the government wanted to hold a second ref tomorrow they could without consulting the EU parliament and the EU parliament couldn't do anything about it. also voting in farage wouldn't make negotiations any easier if anything it would make them worse. our representative wouldn't affect the deal offered to us by the EU. also it's mainly the UK parliament who can't agree on a deal which is why we haven't left yet
you sound like a farage asslicker to me

Farage founded the party and is the leader by default, that would've happened with all parties when they were first established
The Brexit Party do have other policies at heart, just not a manifesto, and a win in these elections would be a stepping stone to progression of the party

No, a party is supposed to be a group of people, not just one person. The only things I’ve heard other than Brexit from the Brexit party is that Farage doesn’t want the NHS to be funded anymore. And every party should have a manifesto anyway.
but the EU parliament has nothing to do with a second referendum. if the government wanted to hold a second ref tomorrow they could without consulting the EU parliament and the EU parliament couldn't do anything about it. also voting in farage wouldn't make negotiations any easier if anything it would make them worse. our representative wouldn't affect the deal offered to us by the EU. also it's mainly the UK parliament who can't agree on a deal which is why we haven't left yet

Obviously they wouldn't need to consult the EU about a second referendum. But the result would then be negotiated with the EU, just like was the case with the referendum in 2016
Why would having Farage make negotiations worse?

Original post by Dhot_Testroyer
you sound like a farage asslicker to me

I believe he's the man for the job, any supporter would express support for the thing they're supporting...
It's absolutely no different to the people I see who regard Corbyn as the second coming of Christ or something... Thankfully less people are doing that

No, a party is supposed to be a group of people, not just one person. The only things I’ve heard other than Brexit from the Brexit party is that Farage doesn’t want the NHS to be funded anymore. And every party should have a manifesto anyway.

...the Brexit Party does have a group of people, a pretty large one at that; it's not just Farage by himself running the show like you seem to be implying
Also, I've not heard anything about him absolutely not wanting to fund the NHS anymore
In terms of manifesto, he's said that one will be created after today's elections, so they at least have one in the works
@Kian Stevens

so why would voting the Brexit party make any difference then. our representatives has little influence in the EU parliament on any deals negotiated. I'm pretty sure it's not even voted on in the EU parliament.

farage would make negotiations worse because he literally wants to veto any legislation by the EU until we leave. how is that an effective way of negotiation. all he's going to do is piss them off even more leaving us either with a bad deal or no deal.
...the Brexit Party does have a group of people, a pretty large one at that; it's not just Farage by himself running the show like you seem to be implying
Also, I've not heard anything about him absolutely not wanting to fund the NHS anymore
In terms of manifesto, he's said that one will be created after today's elections, so they at least have one in the works

They have 14 MEPS... all of which came from UKIP. So basically just a newer version of UKIP without a manifesto? In terms of the NHS, Farage has said a couple of times now that he thinks private firms are the way to go. Seems like that “£350 million a week” probably won’t go to the NHS after all
@Kian Stevens

so why would voting the Brexit party make any difference then. our representatives has little influence in the EU parliament on any deals negotiated. I'm pretty sure it's not even voted on in the EU parliament.

farage would make negotiations worse because he literally wants to veto any legislation by the EU until we leave. how is that an effective way of negotiation. all he's going to do is piss them off even more leaving us either with a bad deal or no deal.

When we voted leave we were voting on the intention of just leaving full stop... Now we're here where we're still negotiating deals and extending deadlines because deals put forward are being voted against
Farage wants us to leave the EU with no deal on WTO terms, i.e. what should've initially happened, not like Mrs May who to this day is still proving her incompetence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending