The Student Room Group

Is it possible to apply for two different university courses?

Sorry if it’s been asked before.
I’m aware they are very different but I’m afraid to put all my eggs in one basket I guess. I think law is a good suit for me however I know it’s very competitive and I’ve heard there’s basically no point unless you get into a highly competitive university like oxford. Could it be possible for me to apply for law at oxford and medicine at some other universities? Would I have to send personal statements separately?
You should only apply for medicine if that is really what you want to do. How are going to word your personal statement to cover both. It is very likely you will get rejections from Medicine. I really dont know where you have your information about Law. There are many other options besides Oxford. You need to decide which way you want to go and stick to it.
You have only one Personal Statement. You cannot write a convincing PS for both subjects at once and no. you cannot submit a different one direct to the Universities.

Go to some Open Days and listen to the subjects talks for both subjects. Do some relevant work experience in both areas.
You really do need to decide to which career you actually want. Then apply to University.
Original post by Abster79293
Sorry if it’s been asked before.
I’m aware they are very different but I’m afraid to put all my eggs in one basket I guess. I think law is a good suit for me however I know it’s very competitive and I’ve heard there’s basically no point unless you get into a highly competitive university like oxford. Could it be possible for me to apply for law at oxford and medicine at some other universities? Would I have to send personal statements separately?

technically possible but you risk just getting rejected from everywhere as your PS will be all over the place...
Reply 4
Yea thats what i did. I applied to medicine on UCAS and that was my main personal statement then changed my mind and sent an engineering PS directly to the uni and got an offer.
Original post by aaaaa5
Yea thats what i did. I applied to medicine on UCAS and that was my main personal statement then changed my mind and sent an engineering PS directly to the uni and got an offer.

medicine & Oxford are both very competitive, engineering is easier to attain offers. Outside of Oxbridge & Imperial anyone who has close to the right predicted grades normally gets accepted...
It will be impossible to just email Oxford school of Law a new PS and ask for an offer
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
yeah but they can still apply for medicine through ucas and send a law ps directly to other RG unis
Original post by mnot
medicine & Oxford are both very competitive, engineering is easier to attain offers. Outside of Oxbridge & Imperial anyone who has close to the right predicted grades normally gets accepted...
It will be impossible to just email Oxford school of Law a new PS and ask for an offer
Original post by aaaaa5
yeah but they can still apply for medicine through ucas and send a law ps directly to other RG unis

Re-read OP's post he is asking if he can apply for medicine then law at Oxford not any RG uni, also law is more competitive than engineering generally speaking, most Unis just care about predicted grades for engineering.

I don't think this will work at the level of Uni OP is targeting, UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bristol, KCL will just reject anyone who does this when applying for Law
Original post by mnot
Re-read OP's post he is asking if he can apply for medicine then law at Oxford not any RG uni, also law is more competitive than engineering generally speaking, most Unis just care about predicted grades for engineering.

I don't think this will work at the level of Uni OP is targeting, UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bristol, KCL will just reject anyone who does this when applying for Law

Yes, it hardly screams 'passionate about my subject' when the PS is written for a different one!
Original post by aaaaa5

Universities will as a matter of policy not accept this. ONLY if they ask you for a separate PS should you send them one.
You cannot send in what you fancy and assume that anyone will accept it.
Reply 10
if you ask they may allow it i know 2 other people who've also done it
Original post by returnmigrant
Universities will as a matter of policy not accept this. ONLY if they ask you for a separate PS should you send them one.
You cannot send in what you fancy and assume that anyone will accept it.
Original post by Abster79293
(Law) I’ve heard there’s basically no point unless you get into a highly competitive university like oxford.

And this is a whole heap of nonsense as well.
If you think about it you would realise that leading UK lawyers and barristers trained a vast range of Universities not just 'Oxford'. I suggest you go to some Open Days and develop some opinions of your own rather than just 'I've heard'.

And read this - its called "How to Avoid 5 Rejections". https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
There are lots of good law unis. Just apply for that.
Original post by aaaaa5

Yes but for Engineering they may not even have considered the second PS that you sent. For Law or Medicine the PS would be heavily scrutinised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending