The Student Room Group

Year 11

Hi. I am currently in year 10. Just want an idea of how much work i need to do in year 11 per day in order to get all 8s and 9s at gcse, and what kind of steps i will need to take to get there.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well when I was in year 10, I didn't revise that much. in year 11, I worked hard for mocks. I say that u should start revising for gcses after December. don't start revising hardcore from December, make it hardcore as you go on. i just done 2 weeks of exams, think I done good in science, probs 7-7 or 8-8
Original post by triviaking
Hi. I am currently in year 10. Just want an idea of how much work i need to do in year 11 per day in order to get all 8s and 9s at gcse, and what kind of steps i will need to take to get there.

Thanks!
Reply 2
Right now im doing 2-3 hours on a weekday and around 5 hours on a holiday/weekend because i have end of years coming up. I want all 9s in biology, chemistry, physics, maths, geography and RS, and 8s in the rest (german, english language and literature, computing) as a minimum. Predicted 3 9s, 6 8s and a 7 but want to get a lot better than this.
Original post by Raja12
well when I was in year 10, I didn't revise that much. in year 11, I worked hard for mocks. I say that u should start revising for gcses after December. don't start revising hardcore from December, make it hardcore as you go on. i just done 2 weeks of exams, think I done good in science, probs 7-7 or 8-8
Reply 3
Just want them lol.
Original post by ROOOL
you should start revising from the start of the year by making sure you understand everything but not overdo it, if you leave it to January and dont understand something it won't go well. Also whats the need for all 9's no course requires that.
Reply 4
yep true just get good grades bro. don't put too much pressure on yourself, by trying to get grade 9s
Original post by ROOOL
you should start revising from the start of the year by making sure you understand everything but not overdo it, if you leave it to January and dont understand something it won't go well. Also whats the need for all 9's no course requires that.
Why just why are you revising for that long, sit back and relax a bit in year 10. All you need to be doing is making sure you understand the stuff, not overload yourself with work
Reply 6
I know i am well capable though.
Original post by Raja12
yep true just get good grades bro. don't put too much pressure on yourself, by trying to get grade 9s
Reply 7
start as early as possible! it might feel pointless revising so far in advance but honestly you won’t regret it. especially subjects like english where quotes are important, try and learn these early on. make flashcards throughout the year/for mock exams and then you can reuse these when revising for the actual exam.

in terms of time frame, i would start doing small bits on weekends whenever you can and start doing work after school everyday (or most days) around feb half term. you may not want to the work, but trust me it’s not fun to be there the night before an exam having done almost no revision

Thanks!
if i were u i'd start revising now
Reply 9
Mock exams at the end of the year.
Original post by Purplebottle
Why just why are you revising for that long, sit back and relax a bit in year 10. All you need to be doing is making sure you understand the stuff, not overload yourself with work
Thats what i am doing.
Original post by lilTrain
if i were u i'd start revising now
Reply 11
yep this is true. im doing them right now
Original post by ROOOL
You are going to be burnt out by the end of GCSES and then the part where you are meant to revise the most will become the hardest for you just saying
Right. Might wanna change it up a bit then lol.
Original post by ROOOL
You are going to be burnt out by the end of GCSES and then the part where you are meant to revise the most will become the hardest for you just saying
Mock exams at the end of the year.

Yeah they’re you’re eoy exams for year 10. You get mocks in year 11. Honestly just calm down a bit this year you don’t need this stress and all this work. Start working hard after december - just make sure you really understand all the things you are taught
I swear people like u just come and start threads to make people who are not so academically clever feel uncomfortable. Like just come on here to show off about your smartness. If you're getting all 8's and 9's now then what's the need to ask. Just continue what your doing and then your fine. So what's the problem???
Lol sorry if you feel this way. Just need advice in what im doing coz i am unsure. I have no intention to brag.
Original post by Zein.Ali
I swear people like u just come and start threads to make people who are not so academically clever feel uncomfortable. Like just come on here to show off about your smartness. If you're getting all 8's and 9's now then what's the need to ask. Just continue what your doing and then your fine. So what's the problem???
Lol sorry if you feel this way. Just need advice in what im doing coz i am unsure. I have no intention to brag.

Not me mate, I got all 9's and 8's just the people who feel that way. I dont feel that way at all
don't get me wrong grades r important but not everything. Ensure u got a lot of extra curricular... and a personality. This is not directed at you specifically lol just a general statement. I mean ask yourself why u want these grades. What will they lead to? Will you ever be satisfied? With your attitude you will get all 9's so relax and keep doin what ur doing.
Right now im doing 2-3 hours on a weekday and around 5 hours on a holiday/weekend because i have end of years coming up. I want all 9s in biology, chemistry, physics, maths, geography and RS, and 8s in the rest (german, english language and literature, computing) as a minimum. Predicted 3 9s, 6 8s and a 7 but want to get a lot better than this.

there is no point in doing that much in year 10. You'll burn out. Make sure you understand what you're doing and revise for topic tests and make resources along the way
Yeah i do a lot outside school but kinda quit a few things because of gcses lol
Original post by h.i_773
don't get me wrong grades r important but not everything. Ensure u got a lot of extra curricular... and a personality. This is not directed at you specifically lol just a general statement. I mean ask yourself why u want these grades. What will they lead to? Will you ever be satisfied? With your attitude you will get all 9's so relax and keep doin what ur doing.

Quick Reply

Latest