The Student Room Group

Hadn’t slept in almost two days

I couldn’t sleep last night and tonight I’m not even sleepy and I still can’t sleep.

Is there a way to fix this (without sleeping pills)? Does anyone know what could be going on?
(edited 4 years ago)
I suffer from this often. Have a warm shower and wash your hair. Wear super comfy clothes and change your bedsheets. Don't look at any electronics at least 2 hours before bed.
Original post by JasmineLLB
I couldn’t sleep last night and tonight I’m not even sleepy and I still can’t sleep.

Is there a way to fix this (without sleeping pills)? Does anyone know what could be going on?
Reply 2
How are you feeling generally?
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I suffer from this often. Have a warm shower and wash your hair. Wear super comfy clothes and change your bedsheets. Don't look at any electronics at least 2 hours before bed.

Ah ok so it’s normal? Never went through this before.

I’ve done all of the above except for the electronics part. Do you think it’d make a big difference?
I get bouts of insomnia like this from time to time. Might go 2 or even 3 nights sleeping really badly, then my body gets overtired and after a few nights of it I get a superb night's sleep and order is restored.
It will, the blue light on our electronics affect our brain massively. I only used the red/orange filter at night and it makes a huge difference.

I’ve done all of the above except for the electronics part. Do you think it’d make a big difference?
Original post by Pathway
How are you feeling generally?

Feeling energized? Too energized.

I’ve changed up my diet recently: I’m heavily restricting and I’ve upped my workout hours. I’ve also survived a month of exams on 1-3 hours of sleep daily. Maybe these factors could have been the cause?

(This all sounds very unhealthy when I see it written down hahah)
(edited 4 years ago)

The electronics themselves aren't a problem, it's that they emit blue light which affects your circadian rhythm. Installing an anti blue light app helps a lot, I use Twilight on my phone and fl.ux on my laptop, both of which automatically reduce the blue light at night time.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
The electronics themselves aren't a problem, it's that they emit blue light which affects your circadian rhythm. Installing an anti blue light app helps a lot, I use Twilight on my phone and fl.ux on my laptop, both of which automatically reduce the blue light at night time.

Original post by Mrs.Grey
It will, the blue light on our electronics affect our brain massively. I only used the red/orange filter at night and it makes a huge difference.

Ahh okk gotchu, thank you!
Reply 9
Feeling energized? Too energized.

I’ve changed up my diet recently: I’m heavily restricting and I’ve upped my workout hours. I’ve also survived a month of exams on 1-3 hours of sleep daily. Maybe these factors could have been the cause?

(This all sounds very unhealthy when I see it written down hahah)

I'd say go to your GP.

Back when I was younger (in my teens) and I was engaging in similar behaviours (I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa) I'd have similar issues. The cycle went something like this stress from school and violent home life > severe anxiety and hypervigilence (I am diagnosed with complex PTSD) > restriction in food intake to dampen my emotions > excessive exercise because people kept saying exercise helped with anxiety > too hype at night to sleep because of what was going on at home > up all night from the anxiety > rinse, repeat.

It's quite common, tbh, for restrictive eating and excessive exercise to cause severe insomnia because your body is basically in fight or flight because it's starving.

Go to your GP, this is not healthy. Take care.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

Do you think that restricting calories/ more intense workouts could trigger it (judging from your dp I’m guessing you might know)?
Original post by Pathway
I'd say go to your GP.

Back when I was younger (in my teens) and I was engaging in similar behaviours (I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa) I'd have similar issues. The cycle went something like this stress from school and violent home life > severe anxiety and hypervigilence (I am diagnosed with complex PTSD) > restriction in food intake to dampen my emotions > excessive exercise because people kept saying exercise helped with anxiety > too hype at night to sleep because of what was going on at home > up all night from the anxiety > rinse, repeat.

It's quite common, tbh, for restrictive eating and excessive exercise to cause severe insomnia because your body is basically in fight or flight because it's starving.

Go to your GP, this is not healthy. Take care.

I don’t think I’m anorexic, but I do admit that what I’m doing to myself restriction and workout-wise is unhealthy. So maybe the behaviors themselves just triggered this issue? I’ll definitely try now to be more healthy. Didn’t expect it to have an adverse effect like this so soon.

And btw I’m sorry to hear about your experience <3 Hope everything is better now.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t think I’m anorexic, but I do admit that what I’m doing to myself restriction and workout-wise is unhealthy. So maybe the behaviors themselves just triggered this issue? I’ll definitely try now to be more healthy. Didn’t expect it to have an adverse effect like this so soon.

And btw I’m sorry to hear about your experience <3 Hope everything is better now.

Perhaps. Keep an eye on it, and work at your sleep hygiene. If it doesn't improve, then I'd still say go to your GP. If you do need to talk, you're welcome to message me. :h:

Thanks, still ill with my ED and CPTSD (and other ****), just older. :lol: If you're unable to get your eating and exercise under control in safe ways, then please do get help. I've ruined my body with what I've put it through. It's better to nip it in the bud early if possible, better chance of recovery and less chance of lasting damage physically and mentally.
Do you think that restricting calories/ more intense workouts could trigger it (judging from your dp I’m guessing you might know)?

Yeah, well I mean if you're going to bed hungry that might keep you awake.

Yes, absolute. I can't sleep either if I am not getting enough calories. You body is programmed to stay awake and look for food in those situations. If you are exercising in the evening, that is not helping things either.

Quick Reply

Latest