The Student Room Group

gel pen in exams

I've been using a gel pen for my A-levels in 2 of my 4 exams this year and I'm worried that it won't be marked purely because of the type of pen I've used having only just realised that the instructions state to not use them. Does anyone know why the exam boards say to steer clear of gel pens and whether or not I'll be failed on those grounds?
They had a reputation for fading in a couple of months and being difficult to photocopy / scan... dunno if that's still really an issue on recent models of gel pen. I think they got flagged up as a potential problem for remarking and the advice was brought in as a precaution.

Would strongly suspect everything will be OK and you wont be disadvantaged - but try to follow the recommendations you're given.
Original post by kierjuan
I've been using a gel pen for my A-levels in 2 of my 4 exams this year and I'm worried that it won't be marked purely because of the type of pen I've used having only just realised that the instructions state to not use them. Does anyone know why the exam boards say to steer clear of gel pens and whether or not I'll be failed on those grounds?

Because they smudge and they dont scan properly sometimes.
The rules are clear and its crazy not to have read them. You are an A level student..... It was the same for GCSE.

You will be ok though as they just mark it by hand if it wont scan.

Do learn to read and follow rules though otherwise it could lead to serious issues further in your studies.

You might want to read the rest of the exam rules whilst you are at it.
Reply 3
thanks for taking a weight off my mind but there's really no need to be that patronising :/
Original post by 999tigger
The rules are clear and its crazy not to have read them. You are an A level student..... It was the same for GCSE.

Do learn to read and follow rules though otherwise it could lead to serious issues further in your studies.

Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
They had a reputation for fading in a couple of months and being difficult to photocopy / scan... dunno if that's still really an issue on recent models of gel pen. I think they got flagged up as a potential problem for remarking and the advice was brought in as a precaution.

Would strongly suspect everything will be OK and you wont be disadvantaged - but try to follow the recommendations you're given.

thanks very much, I wouldn't have thought I'd need them re-marked, I was more worried that they wouldn't even be marked to begin with and I'd get Us by default😅 thanks so much for the reply though

I mean the rules are pretty self explanatory, its understandable why he doesn't know about it as its not really brought up, my mate did it for all of his gcses and still got straight A*s full marks so I don't think its that big of a deal. Let it be a lesson learn't
Reply 6
That's a massive relief, I've only been doing it because I didn't realise it was specified. :smile: thanks a bunch, and obviously I'll be using a biro from now on, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't failed the ones I'd sat already
Original post by ToysAreUs
I mean the rules are pretty self explanatory, its understandable why he doesn't know about it as its not really brought up, my mate did it for all of his gcses and still got straight A*s full marks so I don't think its that big of a deal. Let it be a lesson learn't
thanks for taking a weight off my mind but there's really no need to be that patronising :/

I'm not the one unable to read exam rules.

Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers.

How can that be interpreted any other way?
Original post by ToysAreUs

Nope the rules are available in every exam centre. They are made available because all exam centres are required to. It is your duty as a candidate to know the rules. They are the same rules that applied at GCSE. Everyone else seems to manage.
Whats done is done =D, instead of dreading over it learn from it, simple and I am sure it will not happen again.
To prevent this from happening schools should just ban the use of gel pens in school exams because students tend to think they can get away with it in real ones even though it says it clearly in the rules.
Nope the rules are available in every exam centre. They are made available because all exam centres are required to. It is your duty as a candidate to know the rules. They are the same rules that applied at GCSE. Everyone else seems to manage.
Reply 10
I'm not suggesting that it can be? I'm just saying that I made a mistake and wanted to find out how much that mistake would cost me. You add nothing to the discussion with ad hominem attacks.

Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers.

I'm not suggesting that it can be? I'm just saying that I made a mistake and wanted to find out how much that mistake would cost me. You add nothing to the discussion with ad hominem attacks.

Other than telling you why they arent allowed and posting you the actual rule, neither of which you knew before.

You should know that the more you progress, then you are going to encounter more rules and not following them will have more serious consequences. It is in your own interest that you find out what the rules are and follow them carefully. There are numerous threads on TSR where people do not know or have not helped themselves by poor decisions because they did not follow rules.
(edited 4 years ago)
calm ur tits g

Original post by appleuser12
calm ur tits g

This is days old. That is merely what the rule says. If you dont believe in following them, then see how that works for you.
when did i say i dont believe in them? just pointing out u have a harsh tone jeez
This is days old. That is merely what the rule says. If you dont believe in following them, then see how that works for you.

Quick Reply

Latest