The Student Room Group

My dad won't allow me to drive car for 2 hours tomorrow

So I've been inivted to a baby shower tomorrow with my father. He says to me he's not going and I said I'm going. I'm turning 30 next month and he says it's too dangerous driving at 8am on the motorway for 2 hours tomorrow from my location or even 2 and half hours. The only issue with the car is the battery died due to my own fault and we recently fitted a new battery. I've been driving for 5.5 hours and I'm experienced on the motorway.
Reply 1
I meant I've been driving for 5.5 years and experienced on the motorway.
5.5 hours would be a little worrying :biggrin:
Whose car is it?
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been inivted to a baby shower tomorrow with my father. He says to me he's not going and I said I'm going. I'm turning 30 next month and he says it's too dangerous driving at 8am on the motorway for 2 hours tomorrow from my location or even 2 and half hours. The only issue with the car is the battery died due to my own fault and we recently fitted a new battery. I've been driving for 5.5 hours and I'm experienced on the motorway.

He won't let you drive your own car on the motorway. That's disgraceful!

O, you don't mean that!

He won't let you drive his car on the motorway.

I wonder if anyone can possibly think of a solution? I wonder if you are, perhaps, allowed to spend your own money and buy or hire a car of your own?
Reply 4
Yes It is he's car.

However he let's me use it all the time, he has no problem with it.

So why the problem tomorrow?

Whose car is it. If it is yours tell him you are going no matter what. If it is his then hire a car.

Ffs you are 29 years old.
Yes It is he's car.

However he let's me use it all the time, he has no problem with it.

So why the problem tomorrow?

You don't have much of a choice, then. His car, his rules. Why not hire a car or use public transport?
Reply 7
He let me use it everyday since I started driving 5.5 years ago and yes I've drove on the motorway for 3 hours in that car and 1 hour to work before on the motorway with that car.

I know it he's car but why have a problem? It's not dangerous driving that car. It's his fear.
He let me use it everyday since I started driving 5.5 years ago and yes I've drove on the motorway for 3 hours in that car and 1 hour to work before on the motorway with that car.

I know it he's car but why have a problem? It's not dangerous driving that car. It's his fear.

Have you actually asked him what his concerns are with you using it this time?
i guess their is some other reason not that its dangerous, maybe theirs some problem , thats why he is also refusing to go and also asking you not to go
Just changed the battery. Brakes are fine. Handbrakes are fine. Steering is fine. Wheels air are checked and ok. The engine coolant system is ok. Seats, mirrors, indicators, headlights, lights are fine.

He said something about the engine oil or the mot hasn't been done, something about engine oil level.
He said all together even if using public transport not to go there. Car or public transport don't go to the baby shower.

You're 30 ffs, grow up and figure it out. Why are you even on a student forum anyway?
Just changed the battery. Brakes are fine. Handbrakes are fine. Steering is fine. Wheels air are checked and ok. The engine coolant system is ok. Seats, mirrors, indicators, headlights, lights are fine.

He said something about the engine oil or the mot hasn't been done, something about engine oil level.

Well, you can't drive the car if the MOT is out-of-date. You can check the engine oil level yourself to see if it needs topping up.

He said all together even if using public transport not to go there. Car or public transport don't go to the baby shower.

If you want to go, then just go. You're an adult, and if he doesn't explain why he doesn't want to go, then he's not making a good case for you not to go by yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest