The Student Room Group

Feeling very deflated after a really good job interview but not getting the job

I am currently completing a PGCE in Further Education but want to get into secondary teaching. So I have been applying to QTS salaried teacher training routes. I had an interview yesterday. I thought it went really well. I was answering the questions perfectly and the panel seemed to really like me. The lesson I felt went okay too. Students were engaged, they were getting on with the work and answering my questions.

Despite all of this, I still didn’t get the job. The only feedback I got was that my presence in the classroom wasn’t ‘strong enough’ which I don’t understand the meaning of. I feel really demoralised. How am I supposed to get my foot through the door when no one is giving me a chance?

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
I'm sorry that you are feeling like this but salaried routes are competitive. As for your 'presence' wasn't strong enough. This can be interpreted in many ways. You could be too quiet, seem like you have a weak personality or you lack a natural dominance in the classroom. I have sat in a few informal teaching interviews/chats and the interviewers are pleasant to all the candidates even if they aren't doing well.Maybe they were expecting more from you presence/behaviour wise if you have already completed a PGCE?
Original post by happyy
I'm sorry that you are feeling like this but salaried routes are competitive. As for your 'presence' wasn't strong enough. This can be interpreted in many ways. You could be too quiet, seem like you have a weak personality or you lack a natural dominance in the classroom. I have sat in a few informal teaching interviews/chats and the interviewers are pleasant to all the candidates even if they aren't doing well.Maybe they were expecting more from you presence/behaviour wise if you have already completed a PGCE?

1. Competitive? Half the other candidates there had zero teaching experience. They were all fresh university graduates who only did two weeks school experience observing.
2. I was far from quiet. I projected my voice. Also, being quiet does not determine whether you will be a good or bad teacher. I've had some really quiet teachers who were very good when I was at school.
3. Except I was doing well in the interview. The feedback I got said that the interview I gave was brilliant. The only criticism I got was the lesson.
4. Behaviour management was not a issue because the class I taught was very well-behaved.
5. My PGCE is not in secondary teaching. It's unfair to expect me to be an expert in handling secondary teaching already. If I knew how to do everything what would be the point of this teacher training course?
Original post by PhylaVell
1. Competitive? Half the other candidates there had zero teaching experience. They were all fresh university graduates who only did two weeks school experience observing.
2. I was far from quiet. I projected my voice. Also, being quiet does not determine whether you will be a good or bad teacher. I've had some really quiet teachers who were very good when I was at school.
3. Except I was doing well in the interview. The feedback I got said that the interview I gave was brilliant. The only criticism I got was the lesson.
4. Behaviour management was not a issue because the class I taught was very well-behaved.
5. My PGCE is not in secondary teaching. It's unfair to expect me to be an expert in handling secondary teaching already. If I knew how to do everything what would be the point of this teacher training course?

@happyy has answered your post in a spirit of trying to help you and you've written an unnecessarily defensive reply which seems to want to attack her.

It's not the way to get people to comment constructively.
Original post by Reality Check
@happyy has answered your post in a spirit of trying to help you and you've written an unnecessarily defensive reply which seems to want to attack her.

It's not the way to get people to comment constructively.

Sorry. I'm just upset. I should probably just give up on my dream of becoming a teacher and find an admin job.
Sorry. I'm just upset. I should probably just give up on my dream of becoming a teacher and find an admin job.

What I have to ask (and don't attack me) is why you did a PGCE in FE when you wanted to teach secondary?
Reply 7

I understand that you might be upset but I was only trying to make sense of the experience you had.

I would try to think back to the interview realistically, specifically the lesson if thats were you think it went wrong and think about what you could change next time.

If you want to send me the lesson plan you used I would be more than happy to look over it to give an unbiased opinion.

Keep applying and keep positive.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
It may be that you didn't engage with the students enough if they were getting on with the task. If you devised the task perhaps it was one where there wasn't enough interaction with pupils to demonstrate yiur presence.

Being 'just upset' doesn't justify taking your frustrations out on someone who was sincerely trying to help you.
Reply 10
Original post by Rover5
It may be that you didn't engage with the students enough if they were getting on with the task. If you devised the task perhaps it was one where there wasn't enough interaction with pupils to demonstrate yiur presence.

This is a good shout. Often interactive tasks go down well at interviews and shows that you can interact with children well, instead of just standing there. :smile:

Go for a walk or do something you enjoy. Breathe. You’ve made it this far and you’re not going to give up after one rejection. You’ll find the right position for you.
Original post by happyy
This is a good shout. Often interactive tasks go down well at interviews and shows that you can interact with children well, instead of just standing there. :smile:

Though if it's science (which from her Avatar I doubt) I'd recommend avoiding practical work wherever possible.
Reply 13
Though if it's science (which from her Avatar I doubt) I'd recommend avoiding practical work wherever possible.

Yeah I wouldn't do a 'real' practical, but I managed to do a little practical demonstration with heat packs where they had to measure the temperature change and decide if it was endo or exothermic in 20 minutes.
What I have to ask (and don't attack me) is why you did a PGCE in FE when you wanted to teach secondary?

I left my application to secondary really late and didn't pass the Professional Skills Test on time. FE was my backup option in case I didn't get onto secondary.
Original post by YaliaV
Go for a walk or do something you enjoy. Breathe. You’ve made it this far and you’re not going to give up after one rejection. You’ll find the right position for you.

I was going to go to the gym but feel too sad to.
Original post by happyy
I understand that you might be upset but I was only trying to make sense of the experience you had.

I would try to think back to the interview realistically, specifically the lesson if thats were you think it went wrong and think about what you could change next time.

If you want to send me the lesson plan you used I would be more than happy to look over it to give an unbiased opinion.

Keep applying and keep positive.

Sorry for being rude and you're right. I'm just afraid I won't get another chance now because this was the first interview I had in ages.
I left my application to secondary really late and didn't pass the Professional Skills Test on time. FE was my backup option in case I didn't get onto secondary.

I see. Obviously it's not an ideal situation to be in, but what's done is done.

Mind my asking how many interviews you've been to? I'm trying to get a feel for whether you're easily demoralised after only a few rejections (not to judge, but some people are just like that) or whether you've been to 10,15+ interviews.

What would you say your best strength is? Classroom management? Chalk and talk? Practical work?
Original post by happyy
Yeah I wouldn't do a 'real' practical, but I managed to do a little practical demonstration with heat packs where they had to measure the temperature change and decide if it was endo or exothermic in 20 minutes.

That's a nice one. They can't set the lab on fire, or burn that girl's hair or stand around looking bored going 'Misss, what are we doing again..' with something like that.

And no maths to mangle.
I see. Obviously it's not an ideal situation to be in, but what's done is done.

Mind my asking how many interviews you've been to? I'm trying to get a feel for whether you're easily demoralised after only a few rejections (not to judge, but some people are just like that) or whether you've been to 10,15+ interviews.

What would you say your best strength is? Classroom management? Chalk and talk? Practical work?

I've written 12 job applications and have had 8 interviews for them. I'd say my best strength is mainly practical work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending