The Student Room Group

University need info

My boyfriend has been accepted to university and is now being asked for certificates to prove his grades. He had his official BTEC certificates for college but was never told that he he needed certificates for GCSEs. His school never informed that these where a thing. Would the university accept the sheet he was given on results day as proof of grades?
Original post by Emsophie
My boyfriend has been accepted to university and is now being asked for certificates to prove his grades. He had his official BTEC certificates for college but was never told that he he needed certificates for GCSEs. His school never informed that these where a thing. Would the university accept the sheet he was given on results day as proof of grades?

'Asking for a friend'?
You can try the results sheet but be prepared for them to not accept it as they don't look very official. I would say that you do need the original certificates from GCSE. You should contact the exams officer from his school where he sat his GCSEs. Some schools post you the certificates but others keep them for you to collect. Hope this helps!

Being serious, he can use the report generated from his Personal Learning Record, which can stand in lieu of certificates. More info, and how to apply for it,is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-access-your-personal-learning-record#what-is-a-personal-learning-record

"but was never told that he needed certificates for GCSEs" - bit difficult to believe that he was unaware of the existence of GCSE certificates, but
"Would the university accept the sheet he was given on results day as proof of grades?" almost definitely NO, he can ask his school exams office if they still have his certificates (they are not required to keep them this long and may have destroyed them if they could not store them securely). If they don't he can get replacements from his examiners - check on their web sites for details of how to request them and the fees he will need to pay.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes in fact he wasn’t aware that these certificates where even a thing, didn’t know they existed,he wasn’t told as his school didn’t give him the information needed hence why I am asking on here for him
Original post by gdunne42
"but was never told that he needed certificates for GCSEs" - bit difficult to believe that he was unaware of the existence of GCSE certificates, but
"Would the university accept the sheet he was given on results day as proof of grades?" almost definitely NO, he can ask his school exams office if they still have his certificates (they are not required to keep them this long and may have destroyed them if they could not store them securely). If they don't he can get replacements from his examiners - check on their web sites for details of how to request them and the fees he will need to pay.
Reply 6
That’s great thank you for the response
Original post by Jamesshoreo
You can try the results sheet but be prepared for them to not accept it as they don't look very official. I would say that you do need the original certificates from GCSE. You should contact the exams officer from his school where he sat his GCSEs. Some schools post you the certificates but others keep them for you to collect. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Yes actually ... would you like photo evidence?
Original post by Reality Check
'Asking for a friend'?
Yes actually ... would you like photo evidence?

No thanks.

I've given you the link for what your boyfriend needs to do above if he wants quick access to his certificates. No need to feel you should thank me, please...
Reply 9
I appreciate the help but when I am stressed I do not appreciate the unhelpful sarcastic comments
No thanks.

I've given you the link for what your boyfriend needs to do above if he wants quick access to his certificates. No need to feel you should thank me, please...
I appreciate the help but when I am stressed I do not appreciate the unhelpful sarcastic comments

TSR isn't the place for you, then :smile:
Reply 11
okay then babes...
TSR isn't the place for you, then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending