The Student Room Group

Grade Boundaries - How far do they go up?

Do boundaries go up by 1-3 marks max or do they just jump up depending on how well people did? So theoretically, can boundaries jump up by 10 marks?
I don't think so if you look at past grade boundaries they only go up/down by a couple of marks but I think it ultimately depends on how well students do in the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by emacsrose
I don't think so if you look at past grade boundaries they only go up/down by a couple of marks but I think it ultimately depends on how well students do in the exam.

Dang. I'm wondering if Literature will jump all the way up
Original post by TheCapstan
Dang. I'm wondering if Literature will jump all the way up

Lit grade boundaries are gonna screw me over
OP, depends on the cohort's ability and difficult of the paper.

Original post by drystar
Lit grade boundaries are gonna screw me over

Reply 5
not necessarily. last yer for edexcel maths you needed 170 for an 8 and in 2017 you only needed 157
Reply 6
The paper was really easy
Do boundaries go up by 1-3 marks max or do they just jump up depending on how well people did? So theoretically, can boundaries jump up by 10 marks?

Yes, they can go up by a lot, and in some subjects we may well see this as it's the second sitting of a lot of the new GCSEs.

A lot will depend on how people performed in their exams on the day.

Without the countrywide data that exam boards have access too, it's impossible to make any predictions.

You can look at grade boundaries for English and maths (AQA) here.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-RF-GDE-BDY-JUN-2017.PDF
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-RF-GDE-BDY-JUN-2018.PDF

In English language, there was a small change up, in English lit, grade boundaries actually went down, and in maths (especially the higher paper) there were some big jumps (over 10 marks) - this may be partly due to candidates being entered for more appropriate papers.

Based on this, it's basically impossible to predict what will happen.
Reply 8

In our college, the grade jumped by 50 points, which I'm pretty sure is the highest gread jump I've ever seen So nearly all of us have to do a resit In order to get the grade we wanted

Quick Reply

Latest