The Student Room Group

Requirements are ABB and my grades are A*A*C. Will I get in??

Hello,

I'm hoping to study mathematics MMath at Surrey university in September 2019.

The entry requirements are:
ABB for BSc
AAB for MMath

My grades for A-Level are:
Mathematics: A*
Further Mathematics: A*
Physics: Taken exams this month and one went REALLY badly due to ill health so I think I might get a C.

I know officially there is no guarantee that I'll get a place, but I'm really hoping I'll get in. I haven't applied anywhere else...…..I sooooo want go there this September.

Do you think I stand a chance of getting in?

Scroll to see replies

I don’t know about Surrey but most places accept you in Maths if you have above your grade needed for maths if you don’t have the final non maths subject grade needed (and sometimes even on if they like you enough). So if you manage to get A*A*C it should be ok (at least I hope so, no guarantees obviously).

Also on a side note idk if you’ve already done this but I think if you’re ill during the exam you might be able to get 1-2% extra marks or something unless it’s too late.
Thank you for your reply.

That's given me hope, as I really want to avoid doing physics for a whole year all over again when I know I could have done better if it was a different day.

I didn't know you could you get extra marks if you were ill! How do you go about doing this? Because that extra 1-2% could tip the scale from C to B
Original post by Sonicalireza
I don’t know about Surrey but most places accept you in Maths if you have above your grade needed for maths if you don’t have the final non maths subject grade needed (and sometimes even on if they like you enough). So if you manage to get A*A*C it should be ok (at least I hope so, no guarantees obviously).

Also on a side note idk if you’ve already done this but I think if you’re ill during the exam you might be able to get 1-2% extra marks or something unless it’s too late.
Just tell whoever your exam officer or whatever they’re called for your school, they should be able to contact the exam board and everything else should be done by them and hopefully you can get the extra marks :smile:.

Check here https://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2018-2019
Original post by Pixie Hollow
Thank you for your reply.

That's given me hope, as I really want to avoid doing physics for a whole year all over again when I know I could have done better if it was a different day.

I didn't know you could you get extra marks if you were ill! How do you go about doing this? Because that extra 1-2% could tip the scale from C to B
I dealt with an exam centre for years that was very efficient and accommodating but unfortunately the exam centre I'm using this year is so erratic and unhelpful, I barely got my application thorough on time. So if it's in their hands I'm less than hopeful with the special consideration form, and I've just phoned up CIE and they said I can't send it directly.

I'll try and then I can just cross my fingers for results day.

Thank you again for your help, it's much appreciated :smile:
Just tell whoever your exam officer or whatever they’re called for your school, they should be able to contact the exam board and everything else should be done by them and hopefully you can get the extra marks :smile:.

Check here https://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2018-2019
Hello,

ABB for BSc
AAB for MMath

Physics: Taken exams this month and one went REALLY badly due to ill health so I think I might get a C.

I know officially there is no guarantee that I'll get a place, but I'm really hoping I'll get in. I haven't applied anywhere else...…..I sooooo want go there this September.

My guess is you would have a very good chance of getting in but only the university can answer this and perhaps wont be able to answer this until the results are out and they know how many have met their offers
Thank you for answering :smile:

I phoned up Surrey and they said the same thing - they can't tell me until I've got my grades.

So there's going to be a lot of nerves up until late August!
Original post by swanseajack1
My guess is you would have a very good chance of getting in but only the university can answer this and perhaps wont be able to answer this until the results are out and they know how many have met their offers
Universities dont know for definite until they have the results. They might have say 100 places. If 100 or more meet their grades from their firm offers and anybody going there from their insurance it is likely they will reject you. If less than 100 meet their grades than they look at near misses. If there are spare places after considering their near misses they go into clearing. A good way of having some idea is to check whether they have been in clearing in previous years. If they been in clearing then it is likely you will be accepted although it can change in any year. My gut feeling is you are likely to be accepted with those grades but that cannot be guaranteed.
Thank you for answering :smile:

I phoned up Surrey and they said the same thing - they can't tell me until I've got my grades.

So there's going to be a lot of nerves up until late August!
Goodness, I didn't know that the system worked quite that way, I assumed that they always left room for at least some spaces. So in some way, my fate lies within other people success and failures. I just realllly hope I get a place, otherwise another whole year of physics, a subject which isn't really my thing. I wish I could find out now either way so I could mentally prepare for the year ahead.

How do you find out whether the course has been in clearing before? What website do I use?

Universities dont know for definite until they have the results. They might have say 100 places. If 100 or more meet their grades from their firm offers and anybody going there from their insurance it is likely they will reject you. If less than 100 meet their grades than they look at near misses. If there are spare places after considering their near misses they go into clearing. A good way of having some idea is to check whether they have been in clearing in previous years. If they been in clearing then it is likely you will be accepted although it can change in any year. My gut feeling is you are likely to be accepted with those grades but that cannot be guaranteed.
You can check the telegraph for around results day each year. The lists are published in a supplement there. I think from memory Sussex is usually in it. Likes of Imperial Warwick and Durham you would probably get rejected but I think you will be OK but nobody can confirm that. The system is listed above is how things work. Universities make far more offers than places to try to ensure they have enough students. @ageshallnot are yo able to check your lists and advise
Goodness, I didn't know that the system worked quite that way, I assumed that they always left room for at least some spaces.

No, the Uni will make many more offers than they have places available to avoid this. Remember, a huge number either won’t make them their Firm or Insurance choice or will just change their mind about attending. The objective is really to have the course 100% full on results day, (and maybe even slightly oversubscribed because some folks will either drop out or switch course after enrolling).
As above, if they do consider near misses you would be in a good position with those grades but there’s never any guarantee they’ll consider anyone that doesn’t meet the offer in full, regardless of what happened in previous years.
Thank you! I will check whether Surrey is frequently on the lists for clearing from previous years.It may give me more peace of mind (or the opposite depending on what I see). I'll also make sure to be on the all the websites/apps for clearing continuously when results day comes. It will be easy because there's only one course from one university I looking for, and if things don't go to plan I'll reapply for the exact same course next year.
You can check the telegraph for around results day each year. The lists are published in a supplement there. I think from memory Sussex is usually in it. Likes of Imperial Warwick and Durham you would probably get rejected but I think you will be OK but nobody can confirm that. The system is listed above is how things work. Universities make far more offers than places to try to ensure they have enough students. @ageshallnot are yo able to check your lists and advise
Thank you!

I just hope that the course isn't filled up fully and that they do consider near misses this year. I hate to be a drama queen but I'd be gutted if this was the only year that the course became 100% full immediately.

But if that happens, I'll just reapply for the same course next year so I'll try not to be too disappointed if things don't work out.

Original post by Admit-One
No, the Uni will make many more offers than they have places available to avoid this. Remember, a huge number either won’t make them their Firm or Insurance choice or will just change their mind about attending. The objective is really to have the course 100% full on results day, (and maybe even slightly oversubscribed because some folks will either drop out or switch course after enrolling).
As above, if they do consider near misses you would be in a good position with those grades but there’s never any guarantee they’ll consider anyone that doesn’t meet the offer in full, regardless of what happened in previous years.
Hello,

ABB for BSc
AAB for MMath

Of course take this with a grain of salt but if the entry requirements are ABB/AAB and you have an A* in both maths and FM. It's down to the discretion of the admissions tutor but you would have likely out-performed many applicants who made the grades, in the relevant subjects (i.e. some will have AB/AA in maths FM or even just an A in maths if FM isn't a requirement). Look up if your course went into clearing last year. If I were a betting man I'd say you have little to worry about
I needed an A* for either Bio or Chem at my uni - instead I ended up getting it in Maths but they let me in anyway.

Obviously its different for everyone but just letting you know it does happen.
Reply 15
I have my IGCSE 2H Mathematics A exam on 6th of june and I have already done 1H on the 21st of May. In chapter 3 on the document you have attached, it's mentioned that if a member of immediate family has a life threatening illness, 4% of the overall raw marks can be given.

My grandmother currently has stage 2 cancer. She will either have a surgery to get the affected part of her body removed, or have a chemotherapy a week or two after my exam. Do you think there is any chance for my exam board (Pearson) to award me extra marks?

I’ve known someone to get extra marks for the exact same reason so there is a high chance, but of course as always not 100%.
Original post by Pistas
I have my IGCSE 2H Mathematics A exam on 6th of june and I have already done 1H on the 21st of May. In chapter 3 on the document you have attached, it's mentioned that if a member of immediate family has a life threatening illness, 4% of the overall raw marks can be given.

My grandmother currently has stage 2 cancer. She will either have a surgery to get the affected part of her body removed, or have a chemotherapy a week or two after my exam. Do you think there is any chance for my exam board (Pearson) to award me extra marks?
Thank you! I will check whether Surrey is frequently on the lists for clearing from previous years.It may give me more peace of mind (or the opposite depending on what I see). I'll also make sure to be on the all the websites/apps for clearing continuously when results day comes. It will be easy because there's only one course from one university I looking for, and if things don't go to plan I'll reapply for the exact same course next year.

Both courses were in clearing from 2013-2017. I haven't got last year's clearing lists but I suspect the situation would have been the same.
Thank you for you reply.

That's what went through my head too, that A*A*C might be (unofficially) equivalent to AAB. Everything leans to me having a good chance getting in, but I'll make sure not to be too presumptuous as it will be an extra blow if it doesn't work out. I really wish I did better in that last exam, even just for the peace of mind this summer.

But your confidence in it working out does help, as it makes me feel much more positive for the outcome. And I'll have a happier summer before August as my gut is feeling hopeful for the outcome.

Also someone's just told me that the course was in clearing for many years before so that gives me extra reassurance.

Original post by TajwarC
Of course take this with a grain of salt but if the entry requirements are ABB/AAB and you have an A* in both maths and FM. It's down to the discretion of the admissions tutor but you would have likely out-performed many applicants who made the grades, in the relevant subjects (i.e. some will have AB/AA in maths FM or even just an A in maths if FM isn't a requirement). Look up if your course went into clearing last year. If I were a betting man I'd say you have little to worry about
Thank you so much for letting me know as I was struggling to locate clearing listings from previous years online. This has given me more hope for the outcome this August, and I feel much better knowing there's a very good chance there will be spaces left on results day.

My summer is going to be a bit more relaxed now :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
Both courses were in clearing from 2013-2017. I haven't got last year's clearing lists but I suspect the situation would have been the same.

Quick Reply

Latest