The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Muslim community and LGBT community...

Wouldn't it make sense for both of these communities to be able to empathise with each other? As both communities have been and still continue to be victims of hate?

It makes me so so upset to see 2 communities that are very close to my heart be in opposition with each other!!
And i do agree that not everyone has the same views and that there are Muslims many Muslims who wish that these LGBT protests would come to an end!

I have noone to share what I hear on news with... as I am a closeted Muslim teenager.
I try to avoid watching the news now because I sadly do not hear what I'd like to:frown:

I don't know whether these protests will ever come to an end. I believe both communities CAN coexist.

Scroll to see replies

Focus on yourself, and you’re good kid
Well many modern liberal Muslims do not have any problems with the LGBT community, hope you overcome your difficulties!
Reply 3
Yes I'm glad you agree:smile:
Thank you!! It means a lot you have no idea how difficult it is to hear news like that!!

Would you say I should share how I feel about these protests with someone (teacher) who is LGBT and also knows how I'm finding it difficult with my sexuality?
As i ofcourse fear talking about this to others- she is the only one who I have come out to.

Thank you x
Original post by SlightlySummer
Well many modern liberal Muslims do not have any problems with the LGBT community, hope you overcome your difficulties!
because even though the majority of Muslims don't have problems with the LGBT community, some radical Muslims like to interfere in other people's lives even though it has nothing to do with them
well in Islam, being part of the LGBT+ community is forbidden but Islam also encourages spreading peace and kindness so...
Islamic beliefs are at odds with the lgbt movement. We believe homosexual relationships actions etc are morally wrong. Whilst I think many Muslims could potentially team with the lgbt people against western conservatives, it doesn't work out in the long term because the lgbt movement want total acceptance in society & that mean's acceptance from everyone including Muslims and that isn't going to happen.

There are beliefs in Islam which you cannot reject. A Muslim who believes homosexuality is allowed in Islam, gets automatically gets taken out of the fold of Islam. It is an area where there is no scholarly accepted difference of opinion. No Muslim would want their children to be taught that the lgbt movement is fine. So this is why you have these protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7g1DCg_ukI
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Sorry about this but homosexuality is strongly forbidden in Islam because of what it is says in the Quran. There is no way in which Muslims can accept homosexual acts as it is going against the teachings in the Quran.
Original post by Equation_Addict
I believe you can ask your parents to send you abroad to some sort of rehabilitation center to get you swinging the right way again. Maybe where your family is originally from.

How do you report a post?
Homosexuality is strictly forbidden in Islam... But if you're a Muslim and you're in support of homosexuality, then you're not really a Muslim are you? It sounds outrageous that a Muslim would eat food which isn't halal, so why do Muslims act as though they're in support of something which is just as forbidden?
Let's face it: you're not really a true believer/supporter etc. of any religion/group etc. if you can't follow the most primitive, core values of it

People like to play this down and act like Islam is tolerant to homosexuality, and that only the most extreme of Muslims believe that homosexuality is forbidden... But if anything it's the 'real' Muslims who believe this, as they are the ones who are abiding by Islam closely and properly
(edited 4 years ago)
But in the Quran and Bible there is just one passage that people then use to explain that homosexuality is a sin.
But it's not said anywhere word for word hence, its open to interpretation.

I feel amongst Muslims if one person says that homosexuality is a sin everyone will then go along with it... without even studying the religious books to see.
This is why I wish religious books made things crystal clear!
Original post by Icon1
Sorry about this but homosexuality is strongly forbidden in Islam because of what it is says in the Quran. There is no way in which Muslims can accept homosexual acts as it is going against the teachings in the Quran.
I am a Muslim, my religion means everything to me.i pray 5x a day I read the Quran, I fast, I try my best to respect everyone and not hate people.
Yet I cannot control my feelings, if I'm not interested in the opposite sex, does that then completely rule me out of Islam??

I know my parents and society will not ever let me be with a girl my parents are accepting of the LGBT community but ofcourse wouldn't want me to come out as lesbian and I will always put my religon first so am ready to then just marry a male despite not been happy.
Yet if my parents allowed me to be homosexual and society did I wouldn't be fearful.
Because I feel in the Quran it doesn't say been Gay is forbidden:frown:
It's just people not working things out for themselves and just relying on what others say. So if one Muslim says something is wrong because it says in the Quran , everyone will then believe this person without searching for evidence etc.
Original post by Kian Stevens
Homosexuality is strictly forbidden in Islam... But if you're a Muslim and you're in support of homosexuality, then you're not really a Muslim are you? It sounds outrageous that a Muslim would eat food which isn't halal, so why do Muslims act as though they're in support of something which is just as forbidden?
Let's face it: you're not really a true believer/supporter etc. of any religion/group etc. if you can't follow the most primitive, core values of it

People like to play this down and act like Islam is tolerant to homosexuality, and that only the most extreme of Muslims believe that homosexuality is forbidden... But if anything it's the 'real' Muslims who believe this, as they are the ones who are abiding by Islam closely and properly
Muslims and Non-Muslim South Asians don't get along in the LGBT community, as in there is racism between Muslim LGBT and Non-Muslim LGBT. A lot of people forget that there are Islamophobic LGBT and the like.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a Muslim, my religion means everything to me.i pray 5x a day I read the Quran, I fast, I try my best to respect everyone and not hate people.
Yet I cannot control my feelings, if I'm not interested in the opposite sex, does that then completely rule me out of Islam??

I know my parents and society will not ever let me be with a girl my parents are accepting of the LGBT community but ofcourse wouldn't want me to come out as lesbian and I will always put my religon first so am ready to then just marry a male despite not been happy.
Yet if my parents allowed me to be homosexual and society did I wouldn't be fearful.
Because I feel in the Quran it doesn't say been Gay is forbidden:frown:
It's just people not working things out for themselves and just relying on what others say. So if one Muslim says something is wrong because it says in the Quran , everyone will then believe this person without searching for evidence etc.

Technically, yes it would rule you out of Islam, as a homosexual Muslim is pretty much the definition of 'contradiction'
It doesn't matter how many times you pray etc, you're breaking one of the core beliefs of Islam... Why would you still consider yourself a Muslim in this case?

You unfortunately sound unbelievably confused
Your parents accept the LGBT community, but 'of course' wouldn't want you to come out as lesbian? Why would they allow you to do this if they've already shown their personal stance on it?
The fact that you're prepared to put your religion first and marry a male, even though you're a lesbian, just speaks volumes about the religion's stance on homosexuality as whole

The one verse in the Quran which is always mentioned pretty much validates that homosexuality is a sin, there's no interpretation about it
The only reason why you'd say the verse is open for interpretation is if you're insecure about the religion and just can't bear to accept that it's inherently homophobic; as a Muslim lesbian, I can imagine this applies to you

Having desires for the same sex doesn't take you out of Islam.Even acting on those desires doesn't take you out of Islam.

What would take you out of Islam is if you started to say "homosexuality is halal".
Having desires for the same sex doesn't take you out of Islam.Even acting on those desires doesn't take you out of Islam.

What would take you out of Islam is if you started to say "homosexuality is halal".

Saying 'homosexuality is halal', and acting on homosexual desires, are pretty much equivalent to each other
You essentially agree with homosexuality being halal if you're a homosexual who acts on desires...
Why wouldn't you agree with something which is you? It's crap like that which further confuses Muslims on the concepts of relationships and homosexuality
Saying 'homosexuality is halal', and acting on homosexual desires, are pretty much equivalent to each other
You essentially agree with homosexuality being halal if you're a homosexual who acts on desires...
Why wouldn't you agree with something which is you? It's crap like that which further confuses Muslims on the concepts of relationships and homosexuality

No they aren't equivalents.

I could drink alcohol but still believe it isn't halal. Likewise someone could have sex with the same gender and still believe what they did isn't halal.
Reply 17
Technically, yes it would rule you out of Islam, as a homosexual Muslim is pretty much the definition of 'contradiction'
It doesn't matter how many times you pray etc, you're breaking one of the core beliefs of Islam... Why would you still consider yourself a Muslim in this case?

You unfortunately sound unbelievably confused
Your parents accept the LGBT community, but 'of course' wouldn't want you to come out as lesbian? Why would they allow you to do this if they've already shown their personal stance on it?
The fact that you're prepared to put your religion first and marry a male, even though you're a lesbian, just speaks volumes about the religion's stance on homosexuality as whole

The one verse in the Quran which is always mentioned pretty much validates that homosexuality is a sin, there's no interpretation about it
The only reason why you'd say the verse is open for interpretation is if you're insecure about the religion and just can't bear to accept that it's inherently homophobic; as a Muslim lesbian, I can imagine this applies to you

You see, this is pretty strange, isn't it? The old testament of the Bible proclaims that homosexuals should be stoned to death, yet it's okay for homosexual Christians to exist? If you were to divide up the Bible into Old Testament and New Testament believers, then fine, but such a division doesn't formally exist to my knowledge. I actually agree with you in that I don't regard people who cherry-pick parts of religious beliefs that they like to actually believe in that religion (ie 95% of Irish people), but don't tell me that other religions endorse LGBTQ practices. Because they don't.

Anyway, this is sadly one of those problems that we can't really solve. Abolishing religious rights and encouraging independent, philosophical thinking for every single pupil in schools is the best way to go in my opinion.

As for the OP, you can absolutely take what you believe about Islam and combine it with your views on LGBTQ. I greatly admire your ability to make philosophical decisions like that. However, sadly, I don't think that, from what the Quran says, is in line with Islamic beliefs. You can't really be a Muslim, therefore. You can I suppose, redefine the term, but if gone by the original meaning, it isn't possible.
(edited 4 years ago)

no it does not completely rule you out of islam bro, a feeling of attraction for the same sex doesnt, i would say completely avoid listening to kian stevens since it seems he has no knowledge on this topic,
if by homosexuality you mean attraction and feelings then that doesnt take you out the fold of islam but its best not to entertain those thoughts
what will take you out the fold of islam is by saying the action that the homosexuals do is halal, not your feelings but the action since that is clearly prohibited from the Quran and Sunnah

[2nd EDIT: editing just to say i put the first edit this at 6:35 PM on 25th may 2019: [1st EDIT: and even after this, we can only speak generally and not specifically, its a complex issue] ]

you speak without knowledge of takfeer

lol this sounds like a mu'tazila belief
(edited 4 years ago)
No they aren't equivalents.

I could drink alcohol but still believe it isn't halal. Likewise someone could have sex with the same gender and still believe what they did isn't halal.

yes bro

Latest

Trending

Trending