The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge with BTECs

I study A level biology, BTEC sport and BTEC dog grooming. I know it's a long shot but is there any chance I could apply to Oxbridge for veterinary science or even a Rustle group uni?

I know oxbridge don't specify their view on BTEC qualifications but as dog grooming and btec sport are somewhat applicable to veterinary science I wondered if my subjects would be useful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
It’s best to just call up the universities you want to apply for and ask them.
Reply 2
Great, thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by hoynaf
It’s best to just call up the universities you want to apply for and ask them.
Oxford don’t offer veterinary science. Cambridge do but they specify on the website that A Level Chemistry is required (not just recommended). So you could contact them and ask but it seems unlikely as you haven’t done it.

I would recommend checking if other Russel group unis have required subjects as well.
Hey there! Having worked for the University of Lincoln’s Admissions Committee for the past 25 years, I know what the top universities are looking for. I can tell you that the skills you will have gained from your courses are highly transferable and respected, and are definitely highly sought after by the very top universities. Whilst not many others will have pursued such a rigorous path as yours, understand that they will have strengths of their own, so remember to have a truly well-rounded application to give yourself the best chance of success!

Happy to field any other concerns you have regarding the application process!
Only Cambridge does veterinary medicine (Oxford don't provide it) and they require two science A-levels (preferably three). Majority of vet schools require both A-level biology and chemistry, however, there are some who have alternative routes into the course. I believe Liverpool allows a BTEC in animal management and an AS/A-level in Chemistry at a B grade (can't remember whether it has to be AS or A2) and I know Harper Adams and Keele vet school has alternative routes into veterinary medicine. Furthermore, I know Nottingham provides a preliminary course which requires 1 science A-level (https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/veterinarymedicineandscience/veterinary-medicine-surgery-preliminary-year.aspx). RVC also has a preliminary course but I don't know the requirements for that course.

Quick Reply

Latest