The Student Room Group

Confession: My makeup is crusty

So basically whenever I go to school my makeup is crusty af and one of my guy friends always points it out.... I literally prime my face and use moisturiser but I always end up looking busted, and I literally see so many girls AND BOYS with popping makeup and glowing and here I am looking Mrs potatohead from toy story

Scroll to see replies

Try a different foundation?

Some dry really easily and end up going odd and cakey after a while. Do you have naturally dry skin?
Reply 2
Ive tried using a dewy foundation but it stills ends up looking dry... Yeah my skin is drier than the sahara desert
Original post by MidgetFever
Try a different foundation?

Some dry really easily and end up going odd and cakey after a while. Do you have naturally dry skin?
I love Revolution Baking Oil. I put it on before foundation and it makes it lie so much smoother. Give that a try?
Use hydrating mists to refresh your base makeup
don't wear makeup?
Reply 6
Original post by Precious Illusions
I love Revolution Baking Oil. I put it on before foundation and it makes it lie so much smoother. Give that a try?

Original post by SlightlySummer
Use hydrating mists to refresh your base makeup

I'll definitely check these out! Thnx x
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
don't wear makeup?

I literally can't leave my house without having 10000 layers of makeup on lmao
Original post by Athenaxx
I literally can't leave my house without having 10000 layers of makeup on lmao

why?
Get a better moisturiser and foundation for dry skin. Most importantly, exfoliate your face daily or every other day to remove dry skin. It goes crusty/patchy if you have patches of dry skin - it clings to it unfortunately. Put some hydrating oils on your face during the night if your skin is so dry.
So basically whenever I go to school my makeup is crusty af and one of my guy friends always points it out.... I literally prime my face and use moisturiser but I always end up looking busted, and I literally see so many girls AND BOYS with popping makeup and glowing and here I am looking Mrs potatohead from toy story
Mac Fix+ is heaven sent. Makes you look air-brushed.
Original post by sinfonietta
Mac Fix+ is heaven sent. Makes you look air-brushed.

Is that a foundation? :O
Reply 12
Original post by -Eirlys-
Get a better moisturiser and foundation for dry skin. Most importantly, exfoliate your face daily or every other day to remove dry skin. It goes crusty/patchy if you have patches of dry skin - it clings to it unfortunately. Put some hydrating oils on your face during the night if your skin is so dry.

Literally whenever I exfoliate it causes tears in my skin
Original post by -Eirlys-
Is that a foundation? :O

It's a spray you apply after finishing the rest of your make-up. It makes colours really pop and any powdery-ness vanish.
Reply 14
Im literally gonna binge watch all these suggestions on youtube but tbh im gonna skeptical about these types of products, for eg everyone seems to use primers but to me they are a scam and do nothing; they're basically glorified moisturisers
Reply 15
Original post by black tea
why?

It just boosts my confidence... like literally i had a gcse exam today and instead of going over my flashcards for an extra 30 mins, I used that time to put foundation and concealer on lmao

Hi, qualified MUA here...
First, I would suggest getting a cleanser and a toner, the toner gets all the excess dirt off your face and ensure that they are all for dry skin.
Secondly, I would make sure you get a primer for a glow, some can say ‘matte’ really small etc.
Third, I’d recommend getting a high end foundation, although they’re more pricey - they do genuinely work better. Also, I used to CAKE my face in foundation, if you do the same, try slowly decreasing the amount you wear.
Finally, try a dewy setting spray. Although, be careful to bake your under eye because it’s your face gets too dewy you could end up with panda eyes!
Make sure you know your skin type (oily, dry or combination) and you could always go into a store and ask them to help you pick out the right things.
Tea tree oil is also amazing from Holland and barratt for your skin! Hope this helps.
Reply 17
Original post by Lxllipop
Hi, qualified MUA here...
First, I would suggest getting a cleanser and a toner, the toner gets all the excess dirt off your face and ensure that they are all for dry skin.
Secondly, I would make sure you get a primer for a glow, some can say ‘matte’ really small etc.
Third, I’d recommend getting a high end foundation, although they’re more pricey - they do genuinely work better. Also, I used to CAKE my face in foundation, if you do the same, try slowly decreasing the amount you wear.
Finally, try a dewy setting spray. Although, be careful to bake your under eye because it’s your face gets too dewy you could end up with panda eyes!
Make sure you know your skin type (oily, dry or combination) and you could always go into a store and ask them to help you pick out the right things.
Tea tree oil is also amazing from Holland and barratt for your skin! Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the advice!!! This has been so helpful! :smile: Literally gonna buy all these items
You are welcome! Nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable with or without makeup!
Thank you so much for the advice!!! This has been so helpful! :smile: Literally gonna buy all these items
A setting spray, get a small one that you can put in your bag, and you can spray it through the day.
I love to use.....
Mario Badescu rosewater facial spray.

It smells so lovely and feels so refreshing.

Quick Reply

Latest