The Student Room Group

Making Alcohol Unlawful

Why do we as people allow the consumption of alcohol? I believe it should be made forbidden altogether. If medical reasons were present (external use) that is another matter. Drinking alcohol should totally be unacceptable.

- Saving society's money
- Preventing medical consequences
- Reducing violence/deaths/car accidents etc.
- Favourable for followers of certain religions
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can prise it from my cold,dead hands.
That's never going to happen.
So should twatting a footie off some lad's head, Mo. But we allow frivolities on the rather crude assumption that this life is all we have and we must make the most of it while it lasts. HTH.
Original post by Mohammed SaIah
Why do we as people allow the consumption of alcohol? I believe it should be made forbidden altogether. If medical reasons were present (external use) that is another matter. Drinking alcohol should totally be unacceptable.

- Saving society's money

haqq. the 5 poisons of society, alcohol, gambling, drugs, sexual immorality and interest.

Islam is free from all, الحمد لله.
Original post by muhammadibnhud
haqq. the 5 poisons of society, alcohol, gambling, drugs, sexual immorality and interest.

What does Islam say about actual poisons? Haram or harcool?
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
You can prise it from my cold,dead hands.

Hear hear
I'd ban religion before I banned alcohol. Look at the harm that has caused in the world.
Reply 8

Apart from those fellas taxi-ing underage girls to their Sherwood Forest for blowies, who fell afoul of every single one.
Reply 9
But alcohol's nice. And you could say it's a very valuable social tool for bringing people together.
Drinking is a choice. It's up to us as individuals to make that choice and we do it knowing the health consequences. Anyone who puts others at risk with their drinking should stop. But the majority of us aren't harming anyone and are just having a good time.
Original post by Notoriety
What does Islam say about actual poisons? Haram or harcool?

actual poisons used to kill or harm a person? the purpose of it is haram yes.
Original post by gjd800
Apart from those fellas taxi-ing underage girls to their Sherwood Forest for blowies, who fell afoul of every single one.

and is that from Islam? nope. they'd be executed in a Muslim country.
Reply 13
and is that from Islam? nope. they'd be executed in a Muslim country.

They all profess to be Muslims, mate, and yet they all thought it was acceptable. Don't @ me with a no true Scotsman.
Look what happened during the prohibition, if you ban alcohol people find a way to get around it.

Dumb idea.

- Saving society's money
I personally wouldn't decide what is acceptable based on how "nice" something is. There alternatives to bring people together that don't cause the harm alcohol does.
Original post by Neilos
But alcohol's nice. And you could say it's a very valuable social tool for bringing people together.
Reply 16
I personally wouldn't decide what is acceptable based on how "nice" something is. There alternatives to bring people together that don't cause the harm alcohol does.

Let people ingest whatever they want. If you don't fancy it, don't do it. But leave the rest of us alone.
I mean, on the face of it, it should be illegal. Most other recreational drugs are illegal, and alcohol, despite what societal norms say, is just as bad as those. You're putting a substance in your body that's seriously affecting you both mentally and physically. If the psychoactive properties of alcohol were just being discovered now, there's no way in hell that it'd be put onto the market for consumers.

However, it will never be banned, because it's not only normalised, but the notion of it "saving society's money" as you put it, is false. It's great for the economy. In the UK, alcohol duty generates over £10billion per year for the government, while it only costs the NHS £3.5billion a year, meaning well over £6billion a year net profit. Ergo, it's a huge money spinner, hence why it'll always be available.
not if the governing law is the law of Allah.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Look what happened during the prohibition, if you ban alcohol people find a way to get around it.

Dumb idea.
Yes because that would go down well in the predominantly white Christian/atheist country of the UK?
not if the governing law is the law of Allah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending