The Student Room Group

Can I make up in Maths with paper 2 and 3?

Basically, in my Maths paper 1 I didn't do too amazing, I think I might have got a C or possibly a B - I'm planning to do 4 hours of maths every other day over half term. Is it possible for me to still get an A in maths?
I'm doing Edexcel so I think the marks are split equally between the papers.
I got 59\80 o that papower will that he enough for a 8
Reply 2
Original post by tamilore11

Yh
Reply 3
Its hard to say. Last year for edexcel, you needed 170/240 for a Grade 8, which is around 57 per paper. In 2017, when the 9-1 GCSEs came out, you needed 157/240, because it was a hard series and alot of people stuggled with it. I think it will be somewhere in between like 160-165 for an 8 and then maybe 195ish for a 9. It obviously depends on how hard paper 2 and 3 are. But if they are at the same level as paper 1 then the grade boundries will be high. What will be, will be.

Good Luck for all your exams!
Original post by tamilore11
Reply 4
It is definitely possible! As the number of papers decrease you can see which topics haven't come up and focus your revision on those- not to say that some topics wont come up again though. I noticed that there wasn't much geometry questions like circle theorems, angles in parallel lines/polygons etc. Trig and Pythagoras nearly always come up so make sure you know SOH/CAH/TOA for right angled triangles and the sine and cosine rule.
You're probably aiming for 100-120 marks for a 6, so it is definitely possible to make up marks on the other papers. Remember that we still have 2/3 of the course left, so there is no need to worry!

Good Luck!
Original post by damhashj
Basically, in my Maths paper 1 I didn't do too amazing, I think I might have got a C or possibly a B - I'm planning to do 4 hours of maths every other day over half term. Is it possible for me to still get an A in maths?
I'm doing Edexcel so I think the marks are split equally between the papers.
Reply 5
Original post by sk8tr123
Its hard to say. Last year for edexcel, you needed 170/240 for a Grade 8, which is around 57 per paper. In 2017, when the 9-1 GCSEs came out, you needed 157/240, because it was a hard series and alot of people stuggled with it. I think it will be somewhere in between like 160-165 for an 8 and then maybe 195ish for a 9. It obviously depends on how hard paper 2 and 3 are. But if they are at the same level as paper 1 then the grade boundries will be high. What will be, will be.

Good Luck for all your exams!

Why do you think they’ll go down?
yeah definitely, as long as u do enough revision (don't overwork urself though!!), i think you'll be fine (:
Reply 7
There were a few questions that alot of students tripped up on. For example the cylinder question, the volume of a cone question and the last question. I don't think the paper was as easy as last year, but it definitely wasn't as hard as the June 2017 series
Original post by m2b
Why do you think they’ll go down?
Reply 8
Of course, go on mathsgenie.co.uk and attempt their maths predicted paper, revise everything that you don't get full marks on :smile:, in my mocks I got 33/80 for nov 2018 paper 2, silly mistakes, but I made it work as I got 75 in paper 3, and got an 8, anything possible xd Gl
Reply 9
I agree, they were quite challenging questions in general, but they probably wont come up again so it's fine :P
Original post by sk8tr123
There were a few questions that alot of students tripped up on. For example the cylinder question, the volume of a cone question and the last question. I don't think the paper was as easy as last year, but it definitely wasn't as hard as the June 2017 series

Quick Reply

Latest