The Student Room Group

Doctoral training approving interview recommendations

I have had an interview for a funded PhD as part of a wider project. My name has now been put forward to the DTP as the recommended candidate for this role on a 3.5 year programme.

Is this just a formality or could I be knocked back and rejected
Original post by Warwick65
I have had an interview for a funded PhD as part of a wider project. My name has now been put forward to the DTP as the recommended candidate for this role on a 3.5 year programme.

Is this just a formality or could I be knocked back and rejected

Until you have an official offer in writing, then there is always the chance that you could still be rejected at the last hurdle. This happened to me this year: I was on the final shortlist sent to the DTP, but was rejected due to fierce competition for funding in my subject area (and my university nominated more applicants than there were studentships).
Reply 2
Sorry to hear that, you must have been gutted.
I have applied to the department, been shortlisted and interviewed and now my name has been put forward. My understanding is, they have nominated one person for one place which is me. The project seems to have already been agreed so I’m hoping this won’t happen.
Sorry to hear that, you must have been gutted.
I have applied to the department, been shortlisted and interviewed and now my name has been put forward. My understanding is, they have nominated one person for one place which is me. The project seems to have already been agreed so I’m hoping this won’t happen.

Hopefully! As you've applied for a pre-existing project, and being the only nominee, you may be in a better situation than I was. I'm doing the PhD in September anyway but self-funding. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Congratulations on getting the self funding route- even more student debt I guess. At least you should be able to work along side, this programme limits what I can do outside the project.

I think we must be mad, this will 8.5 years of my life at Uni studying full time. Scares the Bejesus out of me
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Hopefully! As you've applied for a pre-existing project, and being the only nominee, you may be in a better situation than I was. I'm doing the PhD in September anyway but self-funding. :smile:
Congratulations on getting the self funding route- even more student debt I guess. At least you should be able to work along side, this programme limits what I can do outside the project.

I think we must be mad, this will 8.5 years of my life at Uni studying full time. Scares the Bejesus out of me

I'm lucky as I don't have much student debt as of now (I was NHS-funded for my undergrad), so I don't mind getting more debt that much. Working alongside will really help, I know with funded projects they tend to limit you to about 6 hours per week, right?

I've had a few chunks of years where I've been working, so I've not had a straight run in academia. Must feel odd just to keep going!
Reply 6
I am not actually sure just how many hours a week I could work. If I get the role my ideal would be to tutor once I was able- I could certainly teach research methods to social science 1st year undergrads. This is year 5 straight- 4 years UG and this year is a masters so my debt level is through the roof- won't be a problem as after the revolution, all student debt will be wiped :-) Oh and I will rule the world

Actually it is highly unlikely i will ever repay my debt but then isn't that the same for most UG's now

I must say doiung a PhD is as about as scarey as Teenagers
I am not actually sure just how many hours a week I could work. If I get the role my ideal would be to tutor once I was able- I could certainly teach research methods to social science 1st year undergrads.

It should say somewhere on your DTP's website (or umbrella research council) how many hours you are allowed to work. This usually includes any teaching/lecturing you do as part of your PhD too, so you may find that another job isn't possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending