The Student Room Group

can someone check my plans pls

Hiya! So, after a l o t of changes, I think i’ve finally figured out what i want to do with my life!

Next year, at college, I want to study French, Russian, Maths, English Literature, and self study Politics and Government to AS level.

After that, I’d like to study MML at Cambridge, and then do a masters in International Relations at Oxford, with the hope of becoming a diplomat.

Can anyone see anyone see any flaws in my plans, or do they seem okay?

tyyyyy
Original post by 14jessoppa
Hiya! So, after a l o t of changes, I think i’ve finally figured out what i want to do with my life!

Next year, at college, I want to study French, Russian, Maths, English Literature, and self study Politics and Government to AS level.

After that, I’d like to study MML at Cambridge, and then do a masters in International Relations at Oxford, with the hope of becoming a diplomat.

tyyyyy
I think you're trying to do too many A Levels. 3+an AS is manageable. 4 + an AS is really difficult to juggle, and chances are your grades will be lower as a result. Universities (Cambridge included) would prefer fewer A Levels at higher grades than more A Levels with lower grades.

What other universities would you be thinking about applying to? It's awesome that you're thinking so far ahead but don't pin all your hopes on Cambridge. And having specific institutions in mind for postgrad is certainly thinking beyond realistic boundaries.
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
I think you're trying to do too many A Levels. 3+an AS is manageable. 4 + an AS is really difficult to juggle, and chances are your grades will be lower as a result. Universities (Cambridge included) would prefer fewer A Levels at higher grades than more A Levels with lower grades.

What other universities would you be thinking about applying to? It's awesome that you're thinking so far ahead but don't pin all your hopes on Cambridge. And having specific institutions in mind for postgrad is certainly thinking beyond realistic boundaries.

okie ty! and yeah, i think i tend to overplan πŸ™ƒ

a few people now have said that 5 subjects will be too much, so i’ll probably just go for four instead.

and i like edinburgh and nottingham, and possibly UCL.

ty for replying !
Original post by 14jessoppa

tyyyyy

Have a read of this webpage which outlines the main application process for would be diplomats post university:
https://www.faststream.gov.uk/diplomatic-service/

By all means do a Masters if you want one, however it won't make a difference to your application. Also get some work experience and when it gets nearer the time, practice the kinds of tests the fast stream include as part of the application process.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Have a read of this webpage which outlines the main application process for would be diplomats post university:
https://www.faststream.gov.uk/diplomatic-service/

By all means do a Masters if you want one, however it won't make a difference to your application. Also get some work experience and when it gets nearer the time, practice the kinds of tests the fast stream include as part of the application process.

that’s great, ty!

if i was to do a degree in languages, i’d have to do a year abroad, so i could totally get work experience during that time.

ty for the link as well, is 45K a lot, or average, or what?
aha but you have forgotten the most important part of the plan and that is to scoop the ice cream with a warm spoon that will make your plan much easier
1- tooooo many A levels 3 is a lot to handle
2- research what requirements are needed to become a diplomat...DO YOU RESEARCH
3- gain experience.....in order to enter universities you need experience....they don't just look at your qualifications but you experience...as a hundred more have the same qualifications
4- aim for really high GCSE if you want to study in top universities like Cambridge or oxford like 9,8,7
Reply 7
Original post by hi_imcatherine
aha but you have forgotten the most important part of the plan and that is to scoop the ice cream with a warm spoon that will make your plan much easier

that’s a good point, but did you know, if you put ice-cream in the microwave for 15 seconds it’s a m a z i n g

Quick Reply

Latest