The Student Room Group

philosophy at LSE

wanted to ask anyone who is doing the philosophy,logic and scientific method course at LSE what they thought of it and how application was for them. I'm currently taking religious studies (predicted A*) history (predicted A*) and government and politics (predicted A) but I dont know whether the course is geared too much towards maths and science students.
Reply 1
I don't do it, but my mate teaches on it. First and second year is basically 50% logic and phil of science, which means that it is science heavy. You'd expect that from a course founded by Karl Popper, though! Third year is more open and gives you more choices.

It is a BSc rather than a BA, if I recall correctly, so there's that, too.
My teacher told me that Scientific Method refers to how science and thought (early philosophers were scientists) has changed over time.
Reply 3
Original post by RuaridhN
wanted to ask anyone who is doing the philosophy,logic and scientific method course at LSE what they thought of it and how application was for them. I'm currently taking religious studies (predicted A*) history (predicted A*) and government and politics (predicted A) but I dont know whether the course is geared too much towards maths and science students.

Hi, I know this might be a bit late, but I'm currently doing Philosophy, logic... at LSE and it DEFINITELY isn't exclusively geared towards science students. It can contain as much maths as you want it to. The most you'd have to do is logic, which you don't need to be a mathematician to do. Plenty of my friends that didn't do maths a level are really enjoying it, many are also doing the harder logic course (formal methods) - so don't let that put you off
Original post by humean
Hi, I know this might be a bit late, but I'm currently doing Philosophy, logic... at LSE and it DEFINITELY isn't exclusively geared towards science students. It can contain as much maths as you want it to. The most you'd have to do is logic, which you don't need to be a mathematician to do. Plenty of my friends that didn't do maths a level are really enjoying it, many are also doing the harder logic course (formal methods) - so don't let that put you off

I know this is a very late reply but I would really appreciate some help from the few LSE students doing Philosophy, logic and scientific method...
I'm really interested in getting in, but it's probably one of the hardest philosophy courses to get into in the UK! Do you have any advice for the personal statement? what parts of your personal statement do you think were paramount to getting in? eg. I heard LSE favour students who 'want to change the world' is this true?

Quick Reply