A-level's Watch

Imgoingtofail23
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im currently doing GCSE and one of my options is economics. For A level I think I will pick economics maths and politics.
Can anyone currently studying these tell me if they work together and if they are hard or not.
user2809
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends what you want to do after. This would be a good choice if you wanted to economics or politics at university. Politics is generally pretty easy if you are interested in the subject, and maths is not really that hard. As for economics I can't speak on that as I didn't do it. If you want to do maths at uni I would reccomend taking further maths as it is often essential or, at the very least, reccomended.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Imgoingtofail23
Rep:
?
i think i am more likely to take economics or politics at uni. But is politics or economics completely essay writing or are there any other aspects to it?
(Original post by user2809)
It depends what you want to do after. This would be a good choice if you wanted to economics or politics at university. Politics is generally pretty easy if you are interested in the subject, and maths is not really that hard. As for economics I can't speak on that as I didn't do it. If you want to do maths at uni I would reccomend taking further maths as it is often essential or, at the very least, reccomended.
user2809
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imgoingtofail23)
i think i am more likely to take economics or politics at uni. But is politics or economics completely essay writing or are there any other aspects to it?
Politics is essay writing (25 and 30 marks) whereas i think economics is shorter questions (maybe like 8 marks or 12 marks), but do not take my word for it. If you do edexcel politics it is mostly long essays, but paper 3 has two 12 markers which is the shortest they get.
Imgoingtofail23
Rep:
?
I would say im someone whos not the best at essay writing. Do you think this is a problem?
(Original post by user2809)
Politics is essay writing (25 and 30 marks) whereas i think economics is shorter questions (maybe like 8 marks or 12 marks), but do not take my word for it. If you do edexcel politics it is mostly long essays, but paper 3 has two 12 markers which is the shortest they get.
user2809
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say im someone whos not the best at essay writing. Do you think this is a problem?
Yes is the short answer. You can obviously practice and become better but if you are more adept at scientific subjects then I would perhaps choose those instead. Additionally, you do not need economics or politics to study either at university, but an essay subject is often required. If your heart is set on economics or politics you will probably have to take at least one essay subject (I am not sure if A-level economics qualifies as such).
hannahsinger12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you will learn structures and essay techniques in your course, all you need to be able to do in essay subjects is make sure your answers follow structures and they should hit the mark scheme fine.
szak____
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Economics is definitely essay based, both at A level and at uni.
Last edited by szak____; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads