The Student Room Group

A level maths

I've realised (after bothering people on this forum so many times) that I need to do A-level maths. My other choices are Biology, chemistry and geography/computer science (deciding which one to drop), and I would like to pursue medicine/biomedicine/computer science. Computer science is impossible w/o maths, and maths is too useful to ignore in the other choices.
But I hate it.
I don't mind applied maths, but it's the subject I struggle with most at GCSE (which is easy!). However I literally don't know what to do w/ my life w/o a STEM career, and my grades are not a problem.
Does anyone have any advice on how to enjoy/approach A-level maths?

Btw I've asked for help so many times on this forum, but I'm just nervous. I don't want to disadvantage myself :frown: sorry!!

Scroll to see replies

When you say you struggle at GCSE maths, what sort of grade are you working at?
Reply 2
I fluctuate a lot, but normally I am an 8 (yr10 mock I got a 6, yr 11 mock 7, march mocks 8 but just made it). I have only ever gotten a 9 once. I know 7-9 is an A grade, but that A-level is a different level
Original post by user2809
When you say you struggle at GCSE maths, what sort of grade are you working at?
Original post by telkov
I fluctuate a lot, but normally I am an 8 (yr10 mock I got a 6, yr 11 mock 7, march mocks 8 but just made it). I have only ever gotten a 9 once. I know 7-9 is an A grade, but that A-level is a different level

A-Level maths is honestly not too difficult. As long as you make sure you understand everything and don't fall behind you can easily get an A or A*. I know some people who got B's (5/6) in their GCSEs and achieved A* at A-Level.
A-Level maths is honestly not too difficult. As long as you make sure you understand everything and don't fall behind you can easily get an A or A*. I know some people who got B's (5/6) in their GCSEs and achieved A* at A-Level.

You are talking about the old modular spec .... you underestimate the challenge.
Original post by Muttley79
You are talking about the old modular spec .... you underestimate the challenge.

I am sitting my A-Level maths this summer.
I am sitting my A-Level maths this summer.

So you haven't got your resuts yet ... nor has anyone with 5 or 6s. At many schools you have to have a grade 7 to be allowed to take Maths A level ...and had to have a grade A in the past.
So you haven't got your resuts yet ... nor has anyone with 5 or 6s. At many schools you have to have a grade 7 to be allowed to take Maths A level ...and had to have a grade A in the past.

No, but I have had A/A* in all papers I have done recently - and got an A at AS. I don't see the relevance of the second part of your comment.
No, but I have had A/A* in all papers I have done recently - and got an A at AS. I don't see the relevance of the second part of your comment.

So what was your GCSE grade? I teach Maths and I just dont believe that people with GCSE grade B routinely get A*/A at A level. They wouldn't even be allowed to start the course with a grade B at most schools.
So what was your GCSE grade? I teach Maths and I just dont believe that people with GCSE grade B routinely get A*/A at A level. They wouldn't even be allowed to start the course with a grade B at most schools.

I got a 9 but there are people better than me who got 5's or 6's. Albeit only 1 or 2 people, but given that this person is around a grade 7 I don't see how an A* is out of the question.
I got a 9 but there are people better than me who got 5's or 6's. Albeit only 1 or 2 people, but given that this person is around a grade 7 I don't see how an A* is out of the question.

Many years of analysis of GCSE grade cf A level grade shows there is a correlation. As I said grade 5/6s aren't allowed to take A level at many schools; there is a reason for this.
You really don’t need to do maths if you don’t want to. Just biology and chemistry is fine for medicine/biomed and generally it’s maths or computer science for computer science, so you’re already covered. I’ve done AS maths this year and saw a lot of people who took maths because “it’s a good subject to have” really struggle as they didn’t enjoy it to begin with
Many years of analysis of GCSE grade cf A level grade shows there is a correlation. As I said grade 5/6s aren't allowed to take A level at many schools; there is a reason for this.

Yes, and that is a reasonable requirement for A-Level. At my school 6 is the grade requirement, though a student with grade 5 was admitted due to extenuating circumstances. The only reason I mentioned grade 5/6 GCSE students being set for A* was to show that even if you struggle with maths you can still do well at A-Level. Besides, OP is not exactly struggling given the grades they gave.
Reply 13
If you take biology, chemistry and computer science at A-level and decide to take CS at uni you will have some options - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5007920

If you really want to take A-level maths, then idk, try to get yourself interested in the wider subject. Look up what comes up in A-level.
(edited 4 years ago)

do you think that a student with a grade 7 in maths will struggle with a level maths?
Medicine - most universities require chemistry and biology as 2 of your choices but I have also seen universities that don't require both but other preferred subjects would be chem/bio, maths, further maths, physics or psychology.

Biomedicine - Same as medicine, but most universities require either bio/chem and maths, physics, psychology PE. Although there are others who require bio and chem together.

Computer Science - The top universities require maths and any other 2 subjects but there might be ones that just need computer science. There are other less popular universities that don't even have requirements (e.g Cardiff) which are more theory based.

Maybe you can take maths, computer science, biology and chemistry in AS. Then see what you enjoy more and drop one (as you only need 3 to get into uni) and try to narrow down your career path that way?

If you hate maths right now it doesn't mean you will hate it in A levels too. I struggled a lot GCSE's and it was my worst subject, but I turned it around by using 'mymaths' (school gave us logins, its paid) the video's helped me understand more topics so maybe try to find a new revision method if you haven't had your exams yet? I somehow got an A and enjoyed it at AS but now I just keep forgetting everything :/
Original post by sqrt of 5
do you think that a student with a grade 7 in maths will struggle with a level maths?

It depends - if algebra is weak then possibly. Your teacher should be able to tell you. I am very honest with my students but won;t stop anyone with the right grade :smile:
Original post by sqrt of 5

It all depends on whether you tried at GCSE or not. If you had to put hundreds of extra hours to achieve a 7 then yes you may struggle but if you did little to no revision you will probably be fine so long as you pull your finger out.
It depends - if algebra is weak then possibly. Your teacher should be able to tell you. I am very honest with my students but won;t stop anyone with the right grade :smile:

my weakest topic is probability

I got a 6 for Gcse maths and I'm in year 12 I just did my AS Maths exams and I think I got an E and I've just started year 2 work as I have to do the full A level maths to get onto a chemistry degree the jump from year 1 to year 2 is as big as the jump from Gcse to AS in my opinion but I guess I'm an example of a grade 6 student work is only just passing at A level

Quick Reply

Latest