The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Law At Liverpool With BBC?

I have a conditional offer for ABB to study law at Liverpool. I have worked hard and put in so many hours but my first 3 exams have gone awfully and right now the highest I can see myself getting is BBC. What are the chances of getting in with these grades? (I have an infection and was unable to finish my Literature exam and missed a whole 25 mark question)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've moved this to 'Liverpool University' under 'Universities and HE Colleges' to see if we can get you more replies.

Good luck!
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
I mean first of all, don't fret. You don't know if those are going to be your actual grades yet.
If you don't get ABB on the day make sure you contact them on the day, they may allow it, you never know.

On the other side of the coin though, is your insurance choice achievable? Because BBC is quite a bit lower than the ABB they're asking for...
Liverpool can be really hit or miss with grades sometimes imo. My friend got in to do law there with ACC yet I know another person who get ABC and they were rejected. Grades aren't always the most important factor so if you have a good PS, good references, etc. there's always a possibility you'll get in even if you miss the offer.

I would recommend having a safe insurance choice though :smile:
My insurance is London Southbank (unconditional) but I really don’t want to go there. I usually get As and Bs but I was ill yesterday and couldn’t finish my literature exam
they might accept you with BBC
Original post by anonONE1
I have a conditional offer for ABB to study law at Liverpool. I have worked hard and put in so many hours but my first 3 exams have gone awfully and right now the highest I can see myself getting is BBC. What are the chances of getting in with these grades?

As explained previously, it is very hit and miss here. I'm a current second year at Liverpool University and sometimes they can be very strict, when I was applying my friend was emailed by the Law department who was also applying to the University that there was very limited places and they put the grades up by one. But it really depends on the year
Original post by Notoriety
they might accept you with BBC

Jesus. When did Law stop being the A*AA sort of subject it always was?
Hopefully you will do better in the exams than you think, or Liverpool will be lenient. But if not, you don't have to go to London Southbank. If you get rejected from Liverpool, it will be easier this year to enter Clearing since you can now release yourself from an unwanted offer, whereas in the past you had to phone the uni first, ask to be released and wait for them to action it.

There are likely to be better unis than Southbank in Clearing so once it opens in July, you can start researching which alternatives you feel would be better, in the event you need a Plan B.
Original post by Reality Check

My daughter got her A level results in 2010 and although she stuck to Psychology in the end, she did phone up a few unis in Clearing regarding Law and got offered places at Liverpool and Swansea with BBB.

It seems to me that Unis have only become more lenient since then, as at that time people took A/S levels at the end of year 12 and could resit any exams that had gone badly. I don't think there are that many unis that really require A*AA for Law now, only the very top ones.
Original post by harrysbar
My daughter got her A level results in 2010 and although she stuck to Psychology in the end, she did phone up a few unis in Clearing regarding Law and got offered places at Liverpool and Swansea with BBB.

It seems to me that Unis have only become more lenient since then, as at that time people took A/S levels at the end of year 12 and could resit any exams that had gone badly. I don't think there are that many unis that really require A*AA for Law now, only the very top ones.

I've repped this - very interesting. I must be a bit out of the loop for law entries - I thought it was a solid A/A* type of course, but that is based on my experience of studying it quite a while ago!
Hopefully you will do better in the exams than you think, or Liverpool will be lenient. But if not, you don't have to go to London Southbank. If you get rejected from Liverpool, it will be easier this year to enter Clearing since you can now release yourself from an unwanted offer, whereas in the past you had to phone the uni first, ask to be released and wait for them to action it.

There are likely to be better unis than Southbank in Clearing so once it opens in July, you can start researching which alternatives you feel would be better, in the event you need a Plan B.

It’s a shame, I worked so hard over the past two years but I had to miss a lot of time due to illness and I have an infection so I couldn’t finish my Literature exam and missed a 25 mark essay. So it’s unlikely that I can get above a C. I’m honestly so upset because I put in so many hours for nothing

Summer of 2009.
Original post by Notoriety
Summer of 2009.

Very specific.
It’s a shame, I worked so hard over the past two years but I had to miss a lot of time due to illness and I have an infection so I couldn’t finish my Literature exam and missed a 25 mark essay. So it’s unlikely that I can get above a C. I’m honestly so upset because I put in so many hours for nothing

That's understandable that you're upset. What about taking Johan's advice and getting a doctor's note to apply for extenuating circumstances, if you haven't already done so?
That's understandable that you're upset. What about taking Johan's advice and getting a doctor's note to apply for extenuating circumstances, if you haven't already done so?

My college applied for special consideration but that will only raise my marks by around 2% and that is only 1 more mark unfortunately
Check last years grade boundaries and the years before that for whatever specs your doing and get an average of what you need and find out how many marks you need in the next exam to make sure you get the grades. Usually the grade boundaries are lower than we expect and make sure you don't worry.
I have a conditional offer for ABB to study law at Liverpool. I have worked hard and put in so many hours but my first 3 exams have gone awfully and right now the highest I can see myself getting is BBC. What are the chances of getting in with these grades? (I have an infection and was unable to finish my Literature exam and missed a whole 25 mark question)
Liverpool told me that they have the capacity for a law school of 500 so I was hoping that places wouldn’t be limited 😬

Completely depends on the year and how others do, but keep in touch with them and call up on Results Day if you miss the grades.
Reply 19

When 9k a year tuition fees came into place, many courses that needed top grades no longer did.

People are even getting into Medicine without AAA, although that is in clearing. But Medicine never used to be in clearing, which says a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending