The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I will be applying to do Chemistry with a foundation year
I want to do Chemistry because it's my passion and main interest alongside fitness
Rn my favourite areas of chemistry are ionic solutions and alcohols
I'm self teaching A level Maths, Chemistry and Accounting
I am going to apply to Lincoln, Greenwich, Reading, South Wales and Cardiff
I am planning on doing work experience at at least two places rn I'm looking to do work experience at Leicester uni Chem department and with a painting ltd in their laboratories
Not applying for chemistry but good look with everything Jake
*bump*
How did you find work experience for Chem? I am struggling so much...
Original post by Mixedraceguy
I will be applying to do Chemistry with a foundation year
I want to do Chemistry because it's my passion and main interest alongside fitness
Rn my favourite areas of chemistry are ionic solutions and alcohols
I'm self teaching A level Maths, Chemistry and Accounting
I am going to apply to Lincoln, Greenwich, Reading, South Wales and Cardiff
I am planning on doing work experience at at least two places rn I'm looking to do work experience at Leicester uni Chem department and with a painting ltd in their laboratories
Original post by sKULLedGhost

I contacted my local unis chemistry department and they've offered me some lab work experience
I contacted my local unis chemistry department and they've offered me some lab work experience

Why do you want to study chemistry at uni?
Hey fellow Chemistry enthusiasts :hi:
thought I'd pop in here and say, I'm a current Chemistry student so feel free to ask me any questions! Best of luck with your applications :woo:

it's hard but possible!
check Universities for summer schools, taster days, public lectures and competitions! also I got work experience with the Nuffield Research Placement scheme, would highly recommend this!!!

Nice, hope you have a great time :ahee:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey fellow Chemistry enthusiasts :hi:
thought I'd pop in here and say, I'm a current Chemistry student so feel free to ask me any questions! Best of luck with your applications :woo:

it's hard but possible!
check Universities for summer schools, taster days, public lectures and competitions! also I got work experience with the Nuffield Research Placement scheme, would highly recommend this!!!

Nice, hope you have a great time :ahee:

Which uni are you studying chemistry at and what's chemistry like at undergraduate level?
I can't wait for my work experience 😜
Which uni are you studying chemistry at and what's chemistry like at undergraduate level?
I can't wait for my work experience 😜

Southampton :smile: it's really interesting, challenging and fun - labs especially!
my favourite part of chemistry was physical and inorganic and at an undergraduate level it's just so much better. The best part is when you have a really passionate lecturer who tells you all about how what you are learning is applied in real life research etc :woohoo:
That's so cool! What do you plan on getting out of the Chemistry degree? Masters? What job field etc x
Southampton :smile: it's really interesting, challenging and fun - labs especially!
my favourite part of chemistry was physical and inorganic and at an undergraduate level it's just so much better. The best part is when you have a really passionate lecturer who tells you all about how what you are learning is applied in real life research etc :woohoo:
That's so cool! What do you plan on getting out of the Chemistry degree? Masters? What job field etc x

I've actually just transferred to the MChem with 6 month placement course and in this summer I'll be doing an environmental/analytical chemistry internship with my fave lecturer at my Uni it's my way of getting research experience. then next year I'll do a (hopefully industrial) placement and see what I like better as to what I may go for in the future
What I know for sure is that I'm v good at practical chemistry and have strong interests in analytical/environmental chemistry. in my 3rd year I'm taking optional modules in atmospheric and sustainable chemistry :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

I like organic the most I think but inorganic is cool rn I'm just finishing up on AS organic chemistry What are the exam papers like?
I like organic the most I think but inorganic is cool rn I'm just finishing up on AS organic chemistry What are the exam papers like?

Oh cool. You'll really like it at Uni, gets hard but I thought the first year was quite interesting. You learn lots about mechanisms and actual shapes and orbitals in molecules which is nice. All parts of chemistry align there :yy:

I think it depends on the uni
but.for me, each exam is 2hrs long. Section A everyone does. Section B you get to choose out of 2 questions.
My exams are split into physical, organic and inorganic and then my optional module is a bit different. Remember exams aren't the only method of assessment :wink:
Hey!

I’m planning on applying for chemistry for 2020 entry!
I do biology chemistry and maths at the moment, and my favourite part is probably anything organic. I think I’ll be applying to Oxford, Bristol, York, Manchester and Liverpool!
I’m doing work experience at Catalent over the summer for two weeks and I’m going to a biochemistry summer school at oxford but other than that I haven’t done a lot. I really need to read some chemistry books soon!

Oh cool. You'll really like it at Uni, gets hard but I thought the first year was quite interesting. You learn lots about mechanisms and actual shapes and orbitals in molecules which is nice. All parts of chemistry align there :yy:

I think it depends on the uni
but.for me, each exam is 2hrs long. Section A everyone does. Section B you get to choose out of 2 questions.
My exams are split into physical, organic and inorganic and then my optional module is a bit different. Remember exams aren't the only method of assessment :wink:

Shapes and mechanisms sound cool I liked molecular shapes in AS Chemistry yeah I just tend to be fairly good at chemistry exams though I lack some practical skills which I'm working on rn is there any maths in your course?
Original post by joeleni
Hey!

I’m planning on applying for chemistry for 2020 entry!
I do biology chemistry and maths at the moment, and my favourite part is probably anything organic. I think I’ll be applying to Oxford, Bristol, York, Manchester and Liverpool!
I’m doing work experience at Catalent over the summer for two weeks and I’m going to a biochemistry summer school at oxford but other than that I haven’t done a lot. I really need to read some chemistry books soon!

Hey that's cool what is catalent and what will you be doing for work experience? I've not got any Chemistry books either which ones are you planning on getting?
Shapes and mechanisms sound cool I liked molecular shapes in AS Chemistry yeah I just tend to be fairly good at chemistry exams though I lack some practical skills which I'm working on rn is there any maths in your course?

yes lots of maths
but there's lots of support for it
I did a level maths which gave me a big advantage but not everyone did it
there were maths lectures in first year and a short 1hr maths exam. just teaches the basics of things like unit conversions, rearranging equations, matrices, complex numbers, integration and differentiation
in second year there are maths workshops to go along with the content we did in physical chemistry (quantum mechanics) which is much cooler and less scary than it sounds btw :wink:
Hey that's cool what is catalent and what will you be doing for work experience? I've not got any Chemistry books either which ones are you planning on getting?

Hey! Catalent is a pharmaceutical company in my town that like helps people carry out clinical trials, and I’m going to be in the department that does research and development of new products, but I’m still not 100% sure what I’ll actually be doing there. I’m so excited though because it looks really interesting!

And I have no idea yet, I might have to ask my chemistry teacher for some recommendations. I bought a few biochemistry books as that’s what I thought I wanted to study so I’ve read those but I want to read a few more pure chemistry focused now!
(edited 4 years ago)
yes lots of maths
but there's lots of support for it
I did a level maths which gave me a big advantage but not everyone did it
there were maths lectures in first year and a short 1hr maths exam. just teaches the basics of things like unit conversions, rearranging equations, matrices, complex numbers, integration and differentiation
in second year there are maths workshops to go along with the content we did in physical chemistry (quantum mechanics) which is much cooler and less scary than it sounds btw :wink:

Sounds cool what did you get for A level Maths? I'm self teaching A level Maths alongside Chemistry and Accounting Quantum mechanics sounds pretty challenging are there any books which you recommend I read?