The Student Room Group

Transition metal help please

When dissolved in dilute sulfuric acid, the number of moles of ethanedioate ions in a pigment can be determined by titration with acidified potassium manganate(VII).
Explain why the titration of a sample of iron(II) ethanedioate would require a different amount of potassium manganate(VII) than a titration of an equimolar amount of copper(II) ethanedioate.
Reply 1
Original post by anactualmess
When dissolved in dilute sulfuric acid, the number of moles of ethanedioate ions in a pigment can be determined by titration with acidified potassium manganate(VII).
Explain why the titration of a sample of iron(II) ethanedioate would require a different amount of potassium manganate(VII) than a titration of an equimolar amount of copper(II) ethanedioate.

Why do you think it might be?

What is different about the two solutions?
different oxidation states?
Original post by Pigster

I am still very confused lol
Original post by Pigster

I am still very confused lol

Both iron and ethandioate ions react with the oxidising agent
sorry I still don't really understand
Original post by charco
Both iron and ethandioate ions react with the oxidising agent
Reply 6
sorry I still don't really understand

Fe2+ and C2O4 2- both react with the MnO4- ions whereas the copper ions do not, thats the difference.

5Fe2+ + MnO4- + 8H+ > 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O
5C2O4(2-) + 2MnO4- + 16H+ > 8H2O + 2Mn2+ + 10CO2
(edited 4 years ago)
thank you! So would a greater volume of potassium manganate be needed for iron ethanedioate?
Original post by Dilof
Fe2+ and C2O4 2- both react with the MnO4- ions whereas the copper ions do not, thats the difference.
Reply 8
thank you! So would a greater volume of potassium manganate be needed for iron ethanedioate?

Yes
thanks, one more question, how would I know that copper ions don't react with MnO4- ions?
Original post by Dilof
Yes
thanks, one more question, how would I know that copper ions don't react with MnO4- ions?

copper has no higher oxidation state than 2+
Original post by charco
copper has no higher oxidation state than 2+

ah okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest