The Student Room Group

I'm certain I got a U in AS maths will I be able to resit and do A2?

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You won’t be able to resist but might be allowed back in if you negotiate with your college. Maybe you can ask them to give you a mock to prove you’re good enough to come back. How was your overall performance including attendance in maths? They may take that into account and measure how serious you are about it
Reply 2
Why wouldn't I be able to resit if they let me back in to continue the course? In my January mock I got a C in maths but since then I didn't put in enough work into maths and put more work into the other subjects. Many of the things I knew in January I forgot stupidly enough. My attendance was average I guess missed a few lessons throughout the year.
Original post by MariannaL
You won’t be able to resist but might be allowed back in if you negotiate with your college. Maybe you can ask them to give you a mock to prove you’re good enough to come back. How was your overall performance including attendance in maths? They may take that into account and measure how serious you are about it
Original post by Cemi
Why wouldn't I be able to resit if they let me back in to continue the course? In my January mock I got a C in maths but since then I didn't put in enough work into maths and put more work into the other subjects. Many of the things I knew in January I forgot stupidly enough. My attendance was average I guess missed a few lessons throughout the year.

You won’t be able to resist because AS doesn’t count towards anything and is only in the summer so there wouldn’t be point doing it next year since you’ll have your actual A Level exams.
Reply 4
You won’t be able to resist because AS doesn’t count towards anything and is only in the summer so there wouldn’t be point doing it next year since you’ll have your actual A Level exams.

I don't understand? I was told in maths that your AS grade counts towards your final grade at the end of A2. Why would I continue to A2 if I couldn't resit my AS exam. I don't mind resitting the exam the issue is I'm not sure I would be allowed as I am certain I didn't get an E which is what i've heard is the requirement to continue the course and resit the AS exam.
Original post by Cemi
I don't understand? I was told in maths that your AS grade counts towards your final grade at the end of A2. Why would I continue to A2 if I couldn't resit my AS exam. I don't mind resitting the exam the issue is I'm not sure I would be allowed as I am certain I didn't get an E which is what i've heard is the requirement to continue the course and resit the AS exam.

AS doesn’t count towards your final grade. Only A2 does.
Reply 6

Maybe it is different as I am with the WJEC exam board? It states that Unit 1 AS counts as 25% of qualification, Unit 2 AS counts as 15% of qualification and at A2 Unit 3 counts as 35% and A2 Unit 4 counts as 25% of the qualification.
Original post by Cemi
Maybe it is different as I am with the WJEC exam board? It states that Unit 1 AS counts as 25% of qualification, Unit 2 AS counts as 15% of qualification and at A2 Unit 3 counts as 35% and A2 Unit 4 counts as 25% of the qualification.

All those units count because everything you do in your AS year gets repeated in A2 and you have to sit exams on these units again. If you don’t trust me you could always confirm again with your school. I’m currently taking my A2 exams.
Reply 8
All those units count because everything you do in your AS year gets repeated in A2 and you have to sit exams on these units again. If you don’t trust me you could always confirm again with your school. I’m currently taking my A2 exams.

It's not that I don't trust you it's just my fault for not understanding how the system works. So basically your AS results are disregarded if you do A2? Then why do people resit their AS exams even in A2?
Original post by Cemi
It's not that I don't trust you it's just my fault for not understanding how the system works. So basically your AS results are disregarded if you do A2? Then why do people resit their AS exams even in A2?

I didn’t know people resist their AS exams. There are people that fail a subject (like you are saying you failed maths) and are told by their school to drop it and take up an AS for the rest of the year to fill the gap where they’d usually take their A2 subject they messed up.
And basically yes AS doesn’t count when you get a full A level.
Reply 10
Original post by Cemi
Maths went awful I know I got a U as I didn't even answer enough questions. However, Biology and Economics went pretty well and I think i've gotten either a B or A in both.

I'm worried as I've heard that colleges and sixth forms don't let you continue to A2 in a subject if you get a U. Obviously I want to resit this maths exam as I know I could have worked much harder but i'm afraid I won't be able to and will be forced to drop it. I know I should get in contact with the college but it's half term right now and I was wondering what everyone thinks. Worse case scenario is I will have to enter the exam privately and study maths at home?

OMD did you do the maths AS edexcel papers as well? PURE I failed coz of TIMING !!!! too many pages!
Reply 11
Original post by HamzaD
OMD did you do the maths AS edexcel papers as well? PURE I failed coz of TIMING !!!! too many pages!

WJEC sorry
Reply 12
I didn’t know people resist their AS exams. There are people that fail a subject (like you are saying you failed maths) and are told by their school to drop it and take up an AS for the rest of the year to fill the gap where they’d usually take their A2 subject they messed up.
And basically yes AS doesn’t count when you get a full A level.

Cheers you've helped me understand how A levels work I can't believe I didn't know this and most of my friends didn't either :/ would this mean I would have to wait a year extra for offers from a Uni if I did bad in an AS exam but did a lot better in A2 as they give you conditional offers based off your AS results?
Original post by Cemi
Cheers you've helped me understand how A levels work I can't believe I didn't know this and most of my friends didn't either :/ would this mean I would have to wait a year extra for offers from a Uni if I did bad in an AS exam but did a lot better in A2 as they give you conditional offers based off your AS results?

Some important things to observe;

Welsh qualifications are still modular (because Wales likes to be difficult and awkward), so the AS and A-level results are not decoupled like in every single other exam board offering A-level Maths in the UK. For almost any other student, the advice above is correct; for those sitting WJEC, it's not. So in your case you can retake AS units to improve your grade, and they do count towards your final A-level grade. Obviously a U in one or more AS units will likely leave you struggling to get even a C in the overall A-level, so you will be wanting to retake those. Unfortunately all A-level exams are sat in one exam session (the summer session) now as far as I'm aware, including WJEC. So you won't be able to resit those until your final set of summer exams next year.

This then means that you will be applying to university in year 13 with a U in the AS units - however, you will also be applying with predicted grades from your teachers for your expected result in the full A-level. Hopefully you will be able to demonstrate to your teachers in the fall term next year that you are performing much better and get a better predicted result for maths, and can apply with a good predicted grade.

You will still have the U on your UCAS application (you must declare it), so it will be up to the universities to weigh up your prior achievement vs your teachers assessment of your potential given you will be resitting. Universities may have a variety of approaches to that, from just solely looking at your predicted grade, to taking into account the U that you've achieved, to whatever outcome is in line with their policy on retakes. So you may well be able to get offers, but there is no guarantee (there never is) and it's a tenuous position to be in.

I would suggest you prepare yourself mentally at least for the possibility you may need to take a gap year and reapply then, and/or apply in clearing once you have your final results. In the meantime, I would strongly recommend you spend the rest of the summer consolidating your mathematical background to ensure you can give the strongest showing in your exams next year. Remember mathematics is not a subject you can "cram" for the day/week before the exam; you need to be continually working at it throughout the year (i.e. doing practice problem sets at least weekly, if not a few problems every day) before doing more focused preparation in the run up to the exams (i.e. timed past papers).
Original post by artful_lounger
Some important things to observe;

Welsh qualifications are still modular (because Wales likes to be difficult and awkward), so the AS and A-level results are not decoupled like in every single other exam board offering A-level Maths in the UK. For almost any other student, the advice above is correct; for those sitting WJEC, it's not. So in your case you can retake AS units to improve your grade, and they do count towards your final A-level grade. Obviously a U in one or more AS units will likely leave you struggling to get even a C in the overall A-level, so you will be wanting to retake those. Unfortunately all A-level exams are sat in one exam session (the summer session) now as far as I'm aware, including WJEC. So you won't be able to resit those until your final set of summer exams next year.

This then means that you will be applying to university in year 13 with a U in the AS units - however, you will also be applying with predicted grades from your teachers for your expected result in the full A-level. Hopefully you will be able to demonstrate to your teachers in the fall term next year that you are performing much better and get a better predicted result for maths, and can apply with a good predicted grade.

You will still have the U on your UCAS application (you must declare it), so it will be up to the universities to weigh up your prior achievement vs your teachers assessment of your potential given you will be resitting. Universities may have a variety of approaches to that, from just solely looking at your predicted grade, to taking into account the U that you've achieved, to whatever outcome is in line with their policy on retakes. So you may well be able to get offers, but there is no guarantee (there never is) and it's a tenuous position to be in.

I would suggest you prepare yourself mentally at least for the possibility you may need to take a gap year and reapply then, and/or apply in clearing once you have your final results. In the meantime, I would strongly recommend you spend the rest of the summer consolidating your mathematical background to ensure you can give the strongest showing in your exams next year. Remember mathematics is not a subject you can "cram" for the day/week before the exam; you need to be continually working at it throughout the year (i.e. doing practice problem sets at least weekly, if not a few problems every day) before doing more focused preparation in the run up to the exams (i.e. timed past papers).

Okay then I guess I might be wrong. Best thing is contact your school and try to work it out.

This is wrong, WJEC AS units do count towards final A level
Reply 16
Hey, don’t know how much help I am going to be but I am an A2 student who recently resat the unit 2 maths wjec paper so yes as far as I’m aware and was told we can resit the exam for example I resat both wjec biology unit 1 and 2 as well. But always speak to your school as that is the most reliable source. Please update us all.
For WJEC the AS does count towards the A2, and you can resist it. In my school we do mainly CCEA which is also modular and a lot of people resit AS, I see no reason why you can’t do the same although it will probably make things harder for you next year. Just check what grades you need to get back into sixth form next year (generally, you need those grades whether you are resitting or not as you can’t just resit everything). I know that with my school’s guidelines you would get back in but your sixth form might require you to pass everything. Also, are you sure you got a U? If you answered even a few questions you have a chance of an E at least.
Don't forget that there is an way out of having to declare the U on your UCAS application. Assuming that the college allows you to continue (and they may well do given your mock result) and you then resit AS, you can take a gap year and apply then. You only need to declare your highest grades.
Original post by Cemi
Maths went awful I know I got a U as I didn't even answer enough questions. However, Biology and Economics went pretty well and I think i've gotten either a B or A in both.

I'm worried as I've heard that colleges and sixth forms don't let you continue to A2 in a subject if you get a U. Obviously I want to resit this maths exam as I know I could have worked much harder but i'm afraid I won't be able to and will be forced to drop it. I know I should get in contact with the college but it's half term right now and I was wondering what everyone thinks. Worse case scenario is I will have to enter the exam privately and study maths at home?

it depends on your sixth form/college as i got an E in AS maths WJEC exam board and Ds in my other two subjects but i had a dicussion with my head of sixth form and i carried on to year 13 and resat a lot of the exams to save a year and felt very confident with the exams that had just passed. so dont worry itll depend on your situation. its hard to cram all the information in a year especially for maths, its a lot. try resitting next year and youll feel a lot better i promise.

Quick Reply

Latest