The Student Room Group

Ex muslim , How do I tell my family?

I am 17 years old girl

I am so scared to tell them as I could either get disowned or shipped to another country.

What should I do?
When should I tell them?
You don’t. You will get disowned and shamed.
Reply 2
Should I pretend to live as a muslim forever then?
I don't want that
Original post by Anonymous
You don’t. You will get disowned and shamed.
no one here can answer that since we have no idea what your parents are like and what they will do
Should I pretend to live as a muslim forever then?
I don't want that

I’m dealing with the same thing but honestly there isn’t much you can do. They will never accept that. My family isn’t even that strict and they would.
Reply 5
My parents are very strict they don't even let me wear trousers

What would you do if you were me?
Original post by Gent2324
no one here can answer that since we have no idea what your parents are like and what they will do
You don’t need to tell them if it’ll make your life bad.

Just keep pretending, there are some 25+ year old ex-Muslims that still haven’t told their parents because it’ll hurt them and ruin the parent-child bond
I think maybe you should consult an imam and see what they would recommend considering they have probably dealt with stuff like this and share the same point of view as your parents. An imam following Islamic principles should be understanding and maybe they can break the news to your parents.
Wait until you are self sufficient and not living at home .
Please don't tell them. They will hurt you. You don't even need to tell them just make sure you study and work hard so you are financially stable and then leave them!
Reply 10
At a minimum, wait until you're legally an adult and you have somewhere else to live.
My parents are very strict they don't even let me wear trousers

What would you do if you were me?

i know nothing about your life so i have no idea what i would do if i were you.

we need alot of information to be able to determine if you should tell them or not.

nobody here knows if you should or shouldnt
don't tell them. pretend until u leave the house and have independence.
I am 17 years old girl

I am so scared to tell them as I could either get disowned or shipped to another country.

What should I do?
When should I tell them?

Tell them you're gay and/or trans (but preferably both). Then when they've calmed down, admit that you aren't, and then tell them you're not Muslim any more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending