The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - HELP ME!!!

Hi all,
I’m sorry that I have created so many threads relating to the topic of what course I should take . I am now wavering between studying English Literature or Education at Cambridge University . My question to you is : based on my super-curricular achievements / target grades and subjects which one degree do you believe I would have a more likely chance of getting into :
Subjects :
English Literature : A*
Media Studies : A*
Photography: A*
EPQ: A*
Travel and Tourism ( I regret choosing this a level may I add ) : A* (achieved)
Super-curricular achievements :
- work experience In the Houses of Parliament.
- Eton College programme ( it is a competitive summer English course )
- Youth Speaks
- I’m an inclass literary support staff member
- conducted my own lesson
- senior sixth form board ( my schools equivalent to head boy/head girl system)
- run my own literary society
- beginning my own debate team.
- MENCAP Helper ( a Charity that supports those with physical and mental difficulties)
- School journalism.

Thank you :smile: - again sorry for being such a pain . This is just so important to me .

Scroll to see replies

Id imagine english lit is very very competitive to get into at cambridge
Your application is good for both (but no guarantee as it's Oxbridge), but you shouldn't pick between English lit/education based on which one you're likely to get into the University with - pick your favourite by considering matters important to you and apply.
Original post by Jojojo321
Hi all,
I’m sorry that I have created so many threads relating to the topic of what course I should take . I am now wavering between studying English Literature or Education at Cambridge University . My question to you is : based on my super-curricular achievements / target grades and subjects which one degree do you believe I would have a more likely chance of getting into :
Subjects :
English Literature : A*
Media Studies : A*
Photography: A*
EPQ: A*
Travel and Tourism ( I regret choosing this a level may I add ) : A* (achieved)
Super-curricular achievements :
- work experience In the Houses of Parliament.
- Eton College programme ( it is a competitive summer English course )
- Youth Speaks
- I’m an inclass literary support staff member
- conducted my own lesson
- senior sixth form board ( my schools equivalent to head boy/head girl system)
- run my own literary society
- beginning my own debate team.
- MENCAP Helper ( a Charity that supports those with physical and mental difficulties)
- School journalism.

Thank you :smile: - again sorry for being such a pain . This is just so important to me .

This is the wrong way round. You need to decide what degree you want to read, rather than try to fit your qualifications to a degree and choose it that way.

Those subject choices could be problematic for Oxbridge. You've only got one 'academic' A level there. Photography and Media studies aren't really a suitable preparation for Cambridge undergraduate degrees. The advice from Clare is here: other colleges have slightly different preferences, but it gives you the overview.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'd be shocked if you didn't get an interview for whichever you chose. Because your application is good, I wouldn't worry about the best chance, but rather what you'd prefer to do.
What school type?, also you need more academic-related achievements including debating competitions, essay competitions (cardinal importance), as well as a type of literature project, the activities you listed really aren't "supercurricular", they lie borderline extracurricular. Cambridge also doesn't care if you're ahead boy or head girl. Eton Summer scheme isn't really worth mentioning unless you learned some new skills, I go to Harrow School an Eton equivalent, yet I won't significantly dwell on this concept as the foundation of a statement or towards my progression as a character. Your A-level choice may let you down.
Original post by Archetypally
I'd be shocked if you didn't get an interview for whichever you chose. Because your application is good, I wouldn't worry about the best chance, but rather what you'd prefer to do.

Not really, literature is a competitive course, and having attended an elite public school, Harrow our applications are very rigorous and tailored towards the Oxbridge process, a consequence of such esteemed students applying to Oxbridge is evidently viewing those who failed, their applications seemingly impeccable yet either being let down either during interview, admissions test or even simply being "too posh to fulfil quota". I really don't see anything that amazing.
Original post by Anonymous
What school type?, also you need more academic-related achievements including debating competitions, essay competitions (cardinal importance), as well as a type of literature project, the activities you listed really aren't "supercurricular", they lie borderline extracurricular. Cambridge also doesn't care if you're ahead boy or head girl. Eton Summer scheme isn't really worth mentioning unless you learned some new skills, I go to Harrow School an Eton equivalent, yet I won't significantly dwell on this concept as the foundation of a statement or towards my progression as a character. Your A-level choice may let you down.

Essay competitions aren't of 'cardinal importance' for a successful application. Most applicants haven't even been near one.

If you're not planning on 'dwelling' on your school, why do you mention it multiple times in all your posts? Your school isn't relevant. It's not 1953.
Reply 8
Have RG unis not just dropped the approved A level list this week?
Original post by Reality Check
This is the wrong way round. You need to decide what degree you want to read, rather than try to fit your qualifications to a degree and choose it that way.

Those subject choices could be problematic for Oxbridge. You've only got one 'academic' A level there. Photography and Media studies aren't really a suitable preparation for Cambridge undergraduate degrees. The advice from Clare is here: other colleges have slightly different preferences, but it gives you the overview.
Original post by Scotney
Have RG unis not just dropped the approved A level list this week?

It's not that simple really. Yes, the 'approved list' has been replaced with a website called informed choices, but this hasn't changed the fact that certain A levels are 'required' for certain courses and, more generally, some A levels are an inadequate preparation whereas others are more 'facilitating'.

Photography and Media Studies are not suitable A levels for either of the courses the OP proposes - they're not really suitable for many academic courses. Courses like maths, English, sciences, MFL etc are much more widely suitable for a range of undergraduate degrees. In this way, the 'approved list' still remains - it's just been wrapped up in some nice pretty packaging so it doesn't look so elitist and intimidating.
Suspected as such but just thought I would checkI. Thanks for link. Not helping anyone much by this move then.
Original post by Reality Check
It's not that simple really. Yes, the 'approved list' has been replaced with a website called informed choices, but this hasn't changed the fact that certain A levels are 'required' for certain courses and, more generally, some A levels are an inadequate preparation whereas others are more 'facilitating'.

Photography and Media Studies are not suitable A levels for either of the courses the OP proposes - they're not really suitable for many academic courses. Courses like maths, English, sciences, MFL etc are much more widely suitable for a range of undergraduate degrees. In this way, the 'approved list' still remains - it's just been wrapped up in some nice pretty packaging so it doesn't look so elitist and intimidating.
A number of people at my school have offers from Cambridge for English Lit with applications much less impressive than yours. I would say you have a good chance, but of course the entrance exam and interview also carry alot of weight.
Shouldn't a Cambridge-calibre applicant be able to work this out on their own??? 😕
Original post by ageshallnot
Shouldn't a Cambridge-calibre applicant be able to work this out on their own??? 😕

Quite...
Reply 14
I know exactly what degree I would prefer to choose . Yet , I believe that it is only rational and appropriate to deduce a diverse range of opinions to be truly informed on a decision that will impact my future. Equally, I didn’t realise that if you are of Oxbridge calibre it means that you shouldn't ,at this stage, require any form of assistance when making decisions relating to your application.
Original post by ageshallnot
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
The Eton scheme is entirely worth mentioning actually . As it examples the fact that I’ve been accepted onto a programme that is both competitive and related to my subject of choice . Furthermore , unlike you I currently attend a state school ,thus,Oxbridge related opportunities (such as the Eton College scheme) are sporadically offered/ made accessible to us. *I am by no means complaining here about attending a state school , as I believe that the quality of education that my school provides its students is simply exceptional *
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by user2809
A number of people at my school have offers from Cambridge for English Lit with applications much less impressive than yours. I would say you have a good chance, but of course the entrance exam and interview also carry alot of weight.

Cambridge this year dropped their standards significantly for state school students, next year they will be less forgiving.
Reply 17
How dare you . “Cambridge this year dropped their standards”. I do hope that was just an impetuous statement that you have made. As who on earth do you believe you are , thinking that state school students are inferior to the standards of Cambridge University . I think it is clearly you ,not them , that is fixed to a mindset of orthodoxy.
Cambridge this year dropped their standards significantly for state school students, next year they will be less forgiving.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think the Harrovian is just a bit sore from their rejection, which is why they're potentially blaming their 'poshness' as the reason why they got rejected. God forbid that a simple-minded state school student may have taken their place because they were more intelligent!

He/she has no clue if Cambridge dropped their standards this year or how 'forgiving' they will be next year. Don't listen to them.
Original post by Jojojo321
How dare you . “Cambridge this year dropped their standards”. I do hope that was just an impetuous statement that you have made. As who on earth do you believe you are , thinking that state school students are inferior to the standards of Cambridge University . I think it is clearly you not them to whom is trapped in a mindset of orthodoxy.
Reply 19
Thank you :smile: oh don’t worry I wouldn’t listen to such gibberish.
Original post by Dequavius
I think the Harrovian is just a bit sore from their rejection, which is why they're potentially blaming their 'poshness' as the reason why they got rejected. God forbid that a simple-minded state school student may have taken their place because they were more intelligent!

He/she has no clue if Cambridge dropped their standards this year or how 'forgiving' they will be next year. Don't listen to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending