Sainsbury interview fail Watch

Pkstvdy980
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I keep failing at Sainsbury interviews at like 3 to 4 different stores nearly 5 interviews now and I've tried to get feedback but never really got it. So in the recent one I was given feedback afterwards when I asked straight up and they said to me to watch my body language but I'm still unsure.

I just need a job anywhere tbh after my a level exams, if theres any good place in retail could someone drop tips below? I'd really appreciate it and if anyone works fro Sainsburys or know of interview expectations, pls pls tell me because I've been trying with Sainsburys for so long but I really don't have the effort to prepare the 6th time feeling like it may well be another rejection 😭
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ridgerunner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you ask people who know you well about your body language? Is it perhaps quite "closed" which would be a concern for a customer - facing role or, at the other end of the scale verging on aggressive (when you mean to come off assertive)? Without specifics it's hard to guess but, as you get to the interview stage each time, well worth really delving into so you can remedy whatever it is that puts off employers.

I have worked for Sainsburys for the last 8 months whilst awaiting completion of pre employment checks for a new career.
Pkstvdy980
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ridgerunner)
Can you ask people who know you well about your body language? Is it perhaps quite "closed" which would be a concern for a customer - facing role or, at the other end of the scale verging on aggressive (when you mean to come off assertive)? Without specifics it's hard to guess but, as you get to the interview stage each time, well worth really delving into so you can remedy whatever it is that puts off employers.

I have worked for Sainsburys for the last 8 months whilst awaiting completion of pre employment checks for a new career.
Have you got any specific tips for sainsbury interviews? I found out that I need to be more enthusiastic but it's a shame when they made me wait 40 minutes once (my interview began 40 minutes late) so I ended up getting bored
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They generally look for people with an open body language and are enthusiastic and willing to learn.
Pkstvdy980
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illusination)
They generally look for people with an open body language and are enthusiastic and willing to learn.
Is there any way to improve body language? I'm willing to learn because I have worked before in retail for a year and enjoyed working with customers, but I feel like this body language hurdle needs to be addressed 🤦*♂️😭
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pkstvdy980)
Is there any way to improve body language? I'm willing to learn because I have worked before in retail for a year and enjoyed working with customers, but I feel like this body language hurdle needs to be addressed 🤦*♂️😭
Dont cross your arms or legs. Eye contact. Body facing interviewer. And just move your hands when you talk. Smile in between questions (keep it natural though). Nod and say stuff like "okay" after every other statement they say to show youre listening.
Pkstvdy980
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelike1)
Dont cross your arms or legs. Eye contact. Body facing interviewer. And just move your hands when you talk. Smile in between questions (keep it natural though). Nod and say stuff like "okay" after every other statement they say to show youre listening.
Ooh that sounds like good advice. Thank you! I'll try but sometimes the nerves do mess it up ☹
Ridgerunner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No tips specific to Sainsbury's at all; same applies to all interviews in terms of advice given above. If you have been waiting and are bored / annoyed don't show it. Engage well with your interviewer, be enthusiastic, speak clearly and don't be afraid to take a pause before answering a question rather than jumping straight in with a rambling answer. Sit up straight and pay attention to movement e.g., no jigging leg or other nervous mannerisms. I tend to put my hands in my lap to avoid too much gesticulation, although some is fine. Make appropriate eye contact, smile and seem interested and enthusiastic about everything - your job is to sell yourself.
Pkstvdy980
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ridgerunner)
No tips specific to Sainsbury's at all; same applies to all interviews in terms of advice given above. If you have been waiting and are bored / annoyed don't show it. Engage well with your interviewer, be enthusiastic, speak clearly and don't be afraid to take a pause before answering a question rather than jumping straight in with a rambling answer. Sit up straight and pay attention to movement e.g., no jigging leg or other nervous mannerisms. I tend to put my hands in my lap to avoid too much gesticulation, although some is fine. Make appropriate eye contact, smile and seem interested and enthusiastic about everything - your job is to sell yourself.
Thank you. I'll apply these pointers in my next interview and fingers crossed it goes well (non-sainsbury interview)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads