The Student Room Group

Can a vegan love a meat eater.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p072r9km/can-a-vegan-love-a-meat-eater-

Trouble with vegans that I’ve come across, or vegans I’ve watched on the news and in video clips, is that most of them are zealots. A lot of them can’t quite fathom that we all have different eating habits, and will constantly lecture you on how they think we shouldn’t eat meat.

I’ve never and will never mock a vegan for not wanting to eat meat. I will never tell anyone to eat something that they don’t like or goes against their religious or ethical principles.

I will never be bent by anyone into controlling what I want to eat.

Could I be in a relationship with a vegan?

I suppose I could, but that would have to depend on whether they respect the fact I eat meat and won’t try to change it.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, it's possible. I'd prefer if vegans didn't spread the "vegan message" like that as it's unconvincing. Altthough, if you consider something to be immoral, it's natural to want people to stop and sometimes it works if done respectfully and not when unwanted.

I respect your right to eat meat, don't know about respecting the fact that you eat meat as I consider it wrong. I treat you respectfully but I'm under no obligation to respect(in my brain) all willy nilly
As long as they eat my meat.
Reply 3
Original post by Obolinda
Yes, it's possible. I'd prefer if vegans didn't spread the "vegan message" like that as it's unconvincing. Altthough, if you consider something to be immoral, it's natural to want people to stop and sometimes it works if done respectfully and not when unwanted.

I respect your right to eat meat, don't know about respecting the fact that you eat meat as I consider it wrong. I treat you respectfully but I'm under no obligation to respect(in my brain) all willy nilly

It all boils down to tolerance.
I am a vegan and I wouldn't mind dating someone who eats meat.I'm more bothered about what their personality is than what they put on their plate everyday.
Vegans can't love.
:colonhash::laugh:
Original post by Brain Damage
Vegans can't love.
That title has killed me. :laugh:
I mean, yes.. but its a pain in the arse. I was a vegie who dated a meat eater and it made meal times and all sorts a pain. I can't imagine living a whole life together and having to cook seperate food all the time. But then again, I guess people with extreme allergies and such make it work...
Reply 9
Original post by Occitanie

Trouble with vegans that I’ve come across, or vegans I’ve watched on the news and in video clips, is that most of them are zealots. A lot of them can’t quite fathom that we all have different eating habits, and will constantly lecture you on how they think we shouldn’t eat meat.

I’ve never and will never mock a vegan for not wanting to eat meat. I will never tell anyone to eat something that they don’t like or goes against their religious or ethical principles.

I will never be bent by anyone into controlling what I want to eat.

Could I be in a relationship with a vegan?

I suppose I could, but that would have to depend on whether they respect the fact I eat meat and won’t try to change it.

Hoping for a civilised debate here.

My issue with the way you (and others) frame meat eating, is that you seem to imply or suggest its a harmless personal choice. A bit like choosing to get a tattoo, smoke weed, or which music to listen to. You frame it as merely personal, as if the choice doesn't result in tangible harm to others.

But the difference is that meat eating isn't a harmless personal choice. The industry is incredibly cruel and causes an unimaginable amount of suffering to sentient beings. It's also one of the biggest contributers to climate change. And every time someone buys or eats meat, it contributes to that.

You could make a comparison to slavery. No one would go 'ah those annoying anti-slavery people are making me feel really bad about keeping slaves.'
d8lu0wf-90c00bf7-b022-454d-b539-05408099cd82.jpg
Original post by DSilva
Hoping for a civilised debate here.

My issue with the way you (and others) frame meat eating, is that you seem to imply or suggest its a harmless personal choice. A bit like choosing to get a tattoo, smoke weed, or which music to listen to. You frame it as merely personal, as if the choice doesn't result in tangible harm to others.

But the difference is that meat eating isn't a harmless personal choice. The industry is incredibly cruel and causes an unimaginable amount of suffering to sentient beings. It's also one of the biggest contributers to climate change. And every time someone buys or eats meat, it contributes to that.

You could make a comparison to slavery. No one would go 'ah those annoying anti-slavery people are making me feel really bad about keeping slaves.'
I know a vegan who's with a meat eater and their relationship is actually goals af. Honestly I've never met a vegan that's even half as preachy as people on the internet seem to claim they are.
Reply 12
i’m vegan and my boyfriend eats meat, we’ve been together almost a year and we have no issues about it because he’s completely for veganism but is just too lazy to change his diet himself lmao. i definitely wouldn’t be able to date someone who was adamant that they’d never stop eating meat because i tend to get emotional about everything, especially animals. I’d probably cry every time it was bought up.
Reply 13
Original post by paul514
What a surprise you are a preachy vegan too 😂

I wasn't preaching. I was responding to a debate that another poster initiated. Though its understandable you can't see the difference.

But its also hardly a surpsie that you're an older, non-student that hangs around trolling on a student forum.

Typical mondeo man.

:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I know a vegan who's with a meat eater and their relationship is actually goals af. Honestly I've never met a vegan that's even half as preachy as people on the internet seem to claim they are.

PRSOM =/
Original post by paul514
What a surprise you are a preachy vegan too 😂

Any excuse to dismiss everything we have to say, right?
Reply 16
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Any excuse to dismiss everything we have to say, right?

Meat eater: 'why are you vegan?'
Vegan: 'I'm vegan because...'
Meat eater: 'stop preaching about being vegan!'

😂😂
youre not dating their diet lol just them so its fine
Original post by Occitanie

The zealous vegans are the only one's you'll know are vegans, unless told otherwise, hence the stereotype of the 'militant vegan'. The ones who otherwise 'mind their own business' don't stand out and so you won't know they're vegan unless they tell you, which they probably wouldn't. Can't blame them to be honest since a lot of vegans simply get **** for being vegan.

It's similar to the whole "Why do all gay people have camp voices?" question... :P

As for your question though, of course. Vegans can love meat eaters and meat eaters can love vegans. That said it may be a bit complicated when it comes to making meals for each other or going to certain restaurants. Then again this isn't a huge issue and can be easily overcome.
Original post by DSilva
Meat eater: 'why are you vegan?'
Vegan: 'I'm vegan because...'
Meat eater: 'stop preaching about being vegan!'

😂😂

Meat Eater: Are you a vegan?
Vegan: Yes I'm a vegan.
Meat Eater: Why are you a vegan? What's the point? Do you think it's wrong to have pets? Why don't you accept nature? Why...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending