The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibyghee
I don't think your regular person is gunna learn maths or physics at home. you need uni

Not everyone do those courses tho
ohps sorry pure coincidence... deleted
Original post by Sinnoh
Is it a coincidence that this is pretty much word-for-word what I wrote
Original post by ibyghee
I don't think your regular person is gunna learn maths or physics at home. you need uni

actually alot of people do. definately dont need uni
Original post by Gent2324
actually alot of people do. definately dont need uni

can you give me an example of a physicist that never learnt physics or maths in university?
Original post by Anonymous
Not everyone do those courses tho

true, and tbh imo, that is the main reason why a person should go university. Only for subjects like these where it requires knowledge and not experience to the greatest extent. If you want to do english or something, you'd rather do a journalist apprenticeship or whatever.
Original post by ibyghee
can you give me an example of a physicist that never learnt physics or maths in university?

michael faraday?
Oliver heaviside?
Hisham Kotry?
george green?
the wright brothers?

also who said you have to be a physicist to know about physics? there are many people interested in stuff that they didnt study at university.

do i need to go to uni to know anything about maths? do i need to go to uni to know anything about music? geography? history? finance? economics? chemistry? books exist
michael faraday?
Oliver heaviside?
Hisham Kotry?
george green?
the wright brothers?

also who said you have to be a physicist to know about physics? there are many people interested in stuff that they didnt study at university.

do i need to go to uni to know anything about maths? do i need to go to uni to know anything about music? geography? history? finance? economics? chemistry? books exist

ye I know all those, they are all old. If you know modern physics you would realise how hard it is. Not saying it's not possible. But in this day and age to get somewhere in physics you really need to know everything since most things have been found out. I'd say that 1 guy in a bunch of other 10 million physics lovers would be able to pull such a thing off without going university. It's just something a person wouldn't understand normally without a lecturer, or other people to work with.
Original post by ibyghee
ye I know all those, they are all old. If you know modern physics you would realise how hard it is. Not saying it's not possible. But in this day and age to get somewhere in physics you really need to know everything since most things have been found out. I'd say that 1 guy in a bunch of other 10 million physics lovers would be able to pull such a thing off without going university. It's just something a person wouldn't understand normally without a lecturer, or other people to work with.

do you not realise that physics was also hard in those days aswell? if it wasnt hard, those people wouldnt be famous for making discoveries....

if you go into life thinking that to be an expert in a subject you have to go to uni, you are in for a shock.
Original post by Archetypally
1. This video is incredibly obnoxious.
2. Of course, photos on University prospectuses are staged. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
3. The fact that you will have to work hard at university at some point is not something that's remotely covered up. Again, why would they show you pictures of people struggling in a library? That's nonsensical. You're in Sixth Form, I'm sure you already had some concept of understanding that work is involved in full-time education.
4. He sort of goes on with platitudes for a while. Feel like this is another time to emphasise how this is obviously his personal experience and tastes. It's unlikely to apply to you.
5. Universities are blatantly clear about when you have to find accommodation for yourself. I've never read any information or been to any open day where a university hasn't made it abundantly obvious that on-site accommodation is for first years. As for accommodation, you can go and see it first hand for yourself or ask other students.
6. More awful editing.
7. He's sort of touching on a valid point when it comes to pricing, so I'll try and convey something more coherently; the amount of money you pay is certainly dispropriate to what you get for university. However, since you'll likely take a loan which is paid back over an incredibly long period of time in small increments, it's unlikely that you'll feel 'scammed' as a result. If you see a viable career path in going to university, then go for it. This guy is sort of predicating his argument on trusting the word of the university as gospel. That is an ignorant stance to take with anything in life. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
8. Maintenance of the shower head thing - university to university. This anecdotal evidence is going to be totally different when comparing it with any other of the hundreds of universities.
9. This nonsense about everyone at university being insane is just that, insane. Besides the obvious generalisation, how would a university mitigate this if it was to happen, or make you aware of it.
10. He basically contradicts everything he says by saying it's worth it, but not worth the money. Despite literally saying 30 seconds beforehand, it's not character building or a good experience, he says it's a good experience.

I would rep you more for having a detailed explanation, but also having sat and watched the video, which means I dont have to.
do you not realise that physics was also hard in those days aswell? if it wasnt hard, those people wouldnt be famous for making discoveries....

if you go into life thinking that to be an expert in a subject you have to go to uni, you are in for a shock.

I don't wanna say what those people did wasn't amazing, because it was. But if you ask any physicist they will tell you the same, it's harder now than before. I've asked and they said it's harder. But as I said, there is that 1 guy/girl who can pull it off.
So ye, overall to be an expert in physics you should go university. But that does not mean that someone can't pull off a non-uni way to nobel prize.
Damn, thnks for letting me know now I really need to reconsider what I want to do

University is going to be a complete waste of time if you're studying something just because you think it is not going to help you. A lot of people would consider History a 'Micky mouse degree' but I have been offered a job at a museum which precisely is what I want to do in life, and got accepted to my masters which I am differing for the following year (I am also a pretty average student, but have done a lot of work experience). I have friends who did English; they're getting jobs in publishing. If you want to do something like English, Gender studies, Sociology, etc. can be pointless if you're doing the degree because you don't know what you want to get into but if you have a long term goal use whatever degree you choose as a stepping stone to get there.
Not a scam but definitely a bit of a bubble. Universities have this peculiar way of making it seem like academic achievement is the most important thing in the world when it's often not. I'd advise any new student to try and split their three years between studying and gaining some form of work experience. The latter will be so much more useful after graduating!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
Not a scam but definitely a bit of a bubble. Universities have this peculiar way of making it seem like academic achievement is the most important thing in the world when it's often not. I'd advise any new student to try and split their three years between studying and gaining some form of work experience. The latter will be so much more useful after graduating!

how does one get experience, and what kind of experience?
Original post by ibyghee
how does one get experience, and what kind of experience?

I personally got experience by emailing businesses directly. I simply outlined who I was and asked if there were any opportunities.

The kind of experience you want will obviously depend on the industry you want to get into.
"This happens at uni and that happens at university, so therefore it's scam!!! (I should have known)". Someone still soaking in the culture of university and maybe jumped at making a video. Nice start? I can't deny paying £9,000 when it looks like work that could have been in an environment similar college and trying to find the value from paying £9,000 during a year. Can be very confusing.
Are you really in sixth form?
Original post by Sinnoh
Careful with the phrase "Mickey Mouse degree". It's pretty subjective.

A lot of jobs don't explicitly require a certain degree - sometimes it's from a list, sometimes they'll just say "yo any degree is fine". But with courses that don't have obvious transferable skills (like maths) then the way you actually spend your time at uni is important - if you just do your degree and nothing else, you're not likely to be that employable.

What extra stuff should you do while at uni to become more employable if you’re doing a language?
Reply 37
What extra stuff should you do while at uni to become more employable if you’re doing a language?

Internships, work experience come to mind. I'm no employer so I can't tell you if things like uni societies help in that regard
the dude in the video probably studied david beckham at stafford and is wondering why we wasted his money
Bur you also think about, when you 6th form after year 13 what do you want the job market is really difficult at the moment, it's best being productive doing something and making the most of your A-levels, the grades and all that hard work and stress of exams then signing on. I signed for a couple of months and I absolutely hated every minute as I was waiting for sickness benefit to come in and although I was touch situation with the uni as temp student I did more than did more at the uni then I did as ''jobseeker"

Latest

Trending

Trending