The Student Room Group

POLL!!! Close down all universities outside the top 50

Poll

POLL!!! Close down all universities outside the top 50

Considering the amount of money spent on keeping these so-called institutions open, I believe it would be preferable to shut all poorly-ranked universities that offer courses with extremely limited career prospects. Apart from ripping students off, they merely act as reassurance to those students who attained Cs and Ds at A level, who should really be looking at more vocational placements. The government could even make university free, especially for courses such as medicine, the sciences, law, maths, economics and humanities at the top-ranked institutions. The fact that students are paying the same for one of these courses as they are for Dance Studies shows how much the standard of higher education has fallen in the past two decades. Therefore, shut down all of these pointless universities outside the top 50 that are sucking less academically-able students dry!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

i agree, as long as you could create standalone institutions for their medical schools etc.

if you look at the league tables, they only start getting crappy at literally the 50 mark which is interesting
Original post by Bazyli
Considering the amount of money spent on keeping these so-called institutions open, I believe it would be preferable to shut all poorly-ranked universities that offer courses with extremely limited career prospects. Apart from ripping students off, they merely act as reassurance to those students who attained Cs and Ds at A level, who should really be looking at more vocational placements. The government could even make university free, especially for courses such as medicine, the sciences, law, maths, economics and humanities at the top-ranked institutions. The fact that students are paying the same for one of these courses as they are for Dance Studies shows how much the standard of higher education has fallen in the past two decades. Therefore, shut down all of these pointless universities outside the top 50 that are sucking less academically-able students dry!!!!!
Reply 2
Those departments should be kept open, the rest of the university however could be converted to offer more vociational-oreintated courses that would benefit the economy
Reply 3
How so? It is a debate. Half the reason this country’s politics is in its current state is because hardly anyone can debate effectively
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i agree, as long as you could create standalone institutions for their medical schools etc.

if you look at the league tables, they only start getting crappy at literally the 50 mark which is interesting

I’ve found this too, especially looking at their employment prospects. And yes, I’d definitely keep their medical and science schools open as separate institutions
Yes close.

The fact there are so many universities leads to an expectation from employers for a degree for jobs which could easily provide on the job training. And so, everyone studies at 10k a year and the winners are universities themselves.
Reply 6
Original post by Bazyli
How so? It is a debate. Half the reason this country’s politics is in its current state is because hardly anyone can debate effectively

It's the same *****y tired debate that pops up every other week.

Utterly pointless. Read any of the other 40,000 threads on exactly the same topic.
Reply 7
I appreciate your post. A recent article prompted me to create this thread
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
It's the same *****y tired debate that pops up every other week.

Utterly pointless. Read any of the other 40,000 threads on exactly the same topic.

Is that a yes?🙂
Reply 9
Original post by Bazyli
Is that a yes?🙂

It's a "you're boring and unimaginative, therefore your opinion is likely to be as well".
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
It's a "you're boring and unimaginative, therefore your opinion is likely to be as well".

Ok, so you’ve come on this thread to insult. What a great way to spend your time
Original post by Bazyli
Ok, so you’ve come on this thread to insult. What a great way to spend your time

And also to mock your leading and incredibly biased poll options, yes.
What is the top 50?
Reply 13
Original post by Student-95
What is the top 50?

The top 50 ranked universities in the uk, according to the complete university guide
This is so embarrassing. League tables don't accurately represent universities. Also what league table would you chose as your source? The Complete Student Guide? The Times? The Guardian? Separately, I think think students should be free to study what they please, whether it be Gender Studies or Medicine. This isn't a dictatorship
Reply 15
Original post by _!cxnteven
This is so embarrassing. League tables don't accurately represent universities. Also what league table would you chose as your source? The Complete Student Guide? The Times? The Guardian? Separately, I think think students should be free to study what they please, whether it be Gender Studies or Medicine. This isn't a dictatorship

What a pathetic response. Students are falsely deceived to take courses with very poor graduate prospects, paying 9k per year for pointless degrees and not earning enough to even begin paying their fees. How is that any better than being in a ‘dictatorship’? The only party that wins are the universities themselves
A university like the Royal Veterinary College is never going to appear high on a university list when they only focus on one area, still a very important sector however.

Oxford-Brookes also wouldn't make the cut
Where will all the TSR Oxbridge rejects go for self validation?
I don't understand the question. There are only 2 universities in the UK
You need to go outside and touch a boob or two.
I mean this is just a flawed post

- The only reason subjects that end in studies are not appreciated is because of the environment we live in.
- You seem to think an area of study is only of value by the employment it brings and that's a rather shallow understanding of things.
- Also the Top 50 universities by what metric?
- Another question you find it a problem that these smaller universities suck the students who are "less academically-able" bad but do you think it's okay that a decent number of the "top 50" drive their students to suicide? In that case shouldn't those be shut down too as they're "taking advantage of the more academically able students".

Idk mate doesn't feel like you thought this through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending