The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English language (1EN0) - Paper 1 Fiction & Imaginative - 4 June, 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One more thing...
I understand how question 4 is pure A04, however if you look at the mark schemes on the website a substantial amount of points contain a language/structure point. So is it worth just throwing them in the answer alongside your evaluation or should I solely evaluate? Thanks for your help
Reply 21
Original post by qb2507
One more thing...
I understand how question 4 is pure A04, however if you look at the mark schemes on the website a substantial amount of points contain a language/structure point. So is it worth just throwing them in the answer alongside your evaluation or should I solely evaluate? Thanks for your help

You really should solely evaluate, but it is your exam, and if you feel adding AO2 elements may assist you, then go for it. The only AO2 I've really seen in the mark scheme pertains a bit to structure, but then again that can be quite similar to evaluation at times.
what did you get in lang paper 1
Reply 23
Original post by Aryan3031
what did you get in lang paper 1

My mark for the paper is literally in the original post.
ah yes i didn't see, i got 61/64 in my mocks
Original post by Tolgarda
My mark for the paper is literally in the original post.
Reply 25
ah yes i didn't see, i got 61/64 in my mocks

As did I (for the final set if mocks). Never know what can happen on the day though.
i always get 60 or above so I'm hoping to get 63/64 in the real thing
As did I (for the final set if mocks). Never know what can happen on the day though.
Reply 27
i always get 60 or above so I'm hoping to get 63/64 in the real thing

That's good. You should practise your technique on the second paper to get similar results. I still have a script with me from a practice paper that was done over the weekend that scored 63/64.

This paper is actually kind of piss easy for those with an aptitude for English though. I really should have performed a little better, but it's in the past now. I made up for any lost ground in the second paper.
(edited 4 years ago)
Paper 2 is my strong one I rarely drop marks on it to be honest
That's good. You should practise your technique on the second paper to get similar results. I still have a script with me from a practice paper that was done over the weekend that scored 63/64.

This paper is actually kind of piss easy for those with an aptitude for English though. I really should have performed a little better, but it's in the past now. I made up for any lost ground in the second paper.
Reply 29
Paper 2 is my strong one I rarely drop marks on it to be honest

Well then, it seems you're all set for the course. Paper two is the one studebts usually find to be more challenging. Still, anything can happen on the day, regardless of mocks, but if they're anything to go by, it seems you have nothing to worry about. Should you, however, need any help for any particular reason, I'm always here. :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
appreciate it
Well then, it seems you're all set for the course. Paper two is the one studebts usually find to be more challenging. Still, anything can happen on the day, regardless of micks, but if they're anything to go by, it seems you have nothing to worry about. Should you, however, need any help for any particular reason, I'm always here. :wink:
@Tolgarda You mentioned that for the SITE question, always mention that the writer is successful, but wud arguing against it get you a higher mark
Reply 32
Original post by salimyasin10
@Tolgarda You mentioned that for the SITE question, always mention that the writer is successful, but wud arguing against it get you a higher mark

No, not at all. It's much easier to argue in favour of the piece, especially in this paper, because not only will the excerpt be written by a famous, revered author, but it will also most likely be high-quality work that is critically acclaimed, so it will be well written and difficult to critique because your arguments may contain flaws that you are unaware of, endowing the examiner (who may actually love the novel the excerpt is lifted from) with the authority to penalise you by locking your answer away from the higher levels in the scheme.

Nowhere in the mark scheme is a rebuttal mentioned, and in this respect, I think the command word here is slightly misleading. Many students definitely can, and indeed do, attain full credit by solely arguing that the writer is successful. By arguing against the question, you don't really put yourself at an advantage at all; it just seems like an unnecessarily more challenging way to gain credit, and also a potentially easy way to lose it as well.
(edited 4 years ago)
oh i assumed that going against it would put you in a level 8/9 position more easily as you are thinking outside the box as everyone else is going "for" it but coz u r doing something different the examiner might automatically mark you higher.
No, not at all. It's much easier to argue in favour of the piece, especially in this paper, because not only will the excerpt be written by a famous, revered author, but it will also most likely by high-quality work that is critically acclaimed, so it will be well written and difficult to critique because your arguments may contain flaws that you are unaware of, endowing the examiner (who may actually love the novel the excerpt is lifted from) with the authority to penalise you by locking your answer away from the higher levels in the scheme.

Nowhere in the mark scheme is a rebuttal mentioned, and in this respect, I think the command word here is slightly misleading. Many students definitely can, and indeed do, attain full credit by solely arguing that the writer is successful. By arguing against the question, you don't really put you at an advantage at all; it just seems like an unnecessarily more challenging way to gain credit, and also a potentially easy way to lose it as well.
Reply 34
oh i assumed that going against it would put you in a level 8/9 position more easily as you are thinking outside the box as everyone else is going "for" it but coz u r doing something different the examiner might automatically mark you higher.

No, I don't remember it working like that at all. The examiner's not looking for something unique or special, although you may get them on your side with a point of such nature, but rather they're seeking answers that match the mark scheme. The examiner could mark three different students' answers with the exact same points, but their points may be explored at different depths and merit different marks. The examiner may mark three answers with the exact same points with the same degree of analysis depth, and they would still be forced to award the same mark for all three, regardless of how bored they might have felt by the time they read the same thing for the third time. You're here to write an answer that matches the mark scheme. Being unique and special doesn't help you at all if it is not of that high a quality. Someone that isn't unique may provide analysis of top level (level five) quality and be awarded a mark in that level, while someone with unique points may not analyse as well, and be marked at a lower level. Now, if the mark scheme mentioned anything about being innovative with your points or answer style to reach the top levels, I might have been inclined to agree with you.
(edited 4 years ago)
@Tolgarda for eng lang did u have a group of "special" language you memorised for the creative writing
Reply 36
@Tolgarda for eng lang did u have a group of "special" language you memorised for the creative writing

No. All of my creative writing in the exam was ad lib.
lol so u didnt remember any vocab.
What im also planning to do it writing language which refers to:
Darkness
evil
good
light
bright places
secrets
tension
suspense
is that good?
No. All of my creative writing in the exam was ad lib.
Reply 38
lol so u didnt remember any vocab.
What im also planning to do it writing language which refers to:
Darkness
evil
good
light
bright places
secrets
tension
suspense
is that good?

Yes, that combination should have sufficient coverage, so that you can answer at least one of the two that questions you are given. My creative writing is on this website if you care lol.
yh i do, are ur exam papers on it as well
Yes, that combination should have sufficient coverage, so that you can answer at least one of the two that questions you are given. My creative writing is on this website if you care lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending