The Student Room Group

[Poll] Which poem did you compare to? English Lit paper 2

Poll

Power and conflict -which poem did you compare to war photographer?

Curious to see which ones were popular/less popular.
Reply 1
The Emigreé for power and conflict
I'm so basic, I compared to Remains like everyone else in my school but that's because I couldn't make a strong enough link to any others as I'm not great at English Lit lmao
You know, I’m so mad 😂 I wanted this to be my poem for year of 2018, would have gotten an a for sure!
Instead we got bloody ozymandias
Reply 4
poppies for power and conflict but idk if it was a good idea as everyone did remains
Personally I would have preferred Ozymandias haha
Original post by watershower
You know, I’m so mad 😂 I wanted this to be my poem for year of 2018, would have gotten an a for sure!
Instead we got bloody ozymandias
Reply 6
Original post by Olxvxa
poppies for power and conflict but idk if it was a good idea as everyone did remains

I know, everyone did remains in my school and I did The Emigreè. I'm starting to regret it now.
Yh Ozymandias is the easiest poem thats why the grade boundary was so high last year, it would go down this year
Original post by chibibotto
Personally I would have preferred Ozymandias haha
Also, it was a specimen paper that they literally printed out and gave to them to do in the actual GCSE exam, so almost everyone had already seen the paper and practiced with it.
Original post by sonu2003
Yh Ozymandias is the easiest poem thats why the grade boundary was so high last year, it would go down this year
(Last year, I mean)
Original post by DaQuestioner
Also, it was a specimen paper that they literally printed out and gave to them to do in the actual GCSE exam, so almost everyone had already seen the paper and practiced with it.
Yeah, I remember the English teachers at my school were telling last year's year 11s not to revise Ozymandias as it was in the spec paper, and little did they know they going to end up with that one 😂
Original post by DaQuestioner
Poppies was my choice for those of you were worried about it : these are the links I made ;
"Spools of suffering set out in ordered rows" --> "individual war graves" (linked with the physical effects of war, people dying and showing how it effects an individual )
"Solutions slop in trays " ---> "steeled the softening of my face" (linked with the idea of war causing PTSD/Long lasting affects of war)
"a half formed ghost " --- > "spasms of paper red" (linked with the idea of war causing PTSD through the idea of memory suppression OR it shows the brutality of war and how deadly war can be)
"he looks impressively from above where he makes his living and they do not care " ----> "I listened, hoping to hear your playground voice catching on the wind" (linked to the idea of how war can make a person ignorant to the suffering of society in WP and how it becomes a critique of society however in Poppies, the mother desperately wants her son)
I also linked other quotations like "released a songbird from its cage" and talked about their effects in some detail
hoping for a grade 6 !
Those are some amazing points!
Original post by ihavegivenup
Poppies was my choice for those of you were worried about it : these are the links I made ;
"Spools of suffering set out in ordered rows" --> "individual war graves" (linked with the physical effects of war, people dying and showing how it effects an individual )
"Solutions slop in trays " ---> "steeled the softening of my face" (linked with the idea of war causing PTSD/Long lasting affects of war)
"a half formed ghost " --- > "spasms of paper red" (linked with the idea of war causing PTSD through the idea of memory suppression OR it shows the brutality of war and how deadly war can be)
"he looks impressively from above where he makes his living and they do not care " ----> "I listened, hoping to hear your playground voice catching on the wind" (linked to the idea of how war can make a person ignorant to the suffering of society in WP and how it becomes a critique of society however in Poppies, the mother desperately wants her son)
I also linked other quotations like "released a songbird from its cage" and talked about their effects in some detail
hoping for a grade 6 !
Oh no, most of us did Remains :lol:
Yh, it was the best poem to link to:smile:, do u think talking about how Simon Armitage based his poem on a soldier who had ptsd is linked to context?
Original post by RazzzBerries
Oh no, most of us did Remains :lol:
Original post by sonu2003
Yh, it was the best poem to link to:smile:, do u think talking about how Simon Armitage based his poem on a soldier who had ptsd is linked to context?

Yeah, I actually did that in the exam :lol: It was kinda a go to point for most Year 11s so let's hope is works :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending