The Student Room Group

Girls tell me I look ''intelligent'' & ''sophisticated''?

I am not particularly intelligent or anything but a couple of girls I tried to get close to told me they thought I looked like an intelligent guy. (that was what one of them said and other pretty much told me the same - that I look "smart" and "sophisticated").

Now, I don't know what those things mean (probably that I look nerdy??), it would've felt good if they told me I actually am intelligent as opposed to you ''look'' intelligent. Was it meant as a rejection? polite term for ''you're ugly lol''? girls, is it something you'd think about a guy?

Scroll to see replies

I mean like if someone says you look intelligent take it as a compliment?
They may not know your intelligence if they don't know you well....
I'd take it as a compliment if someone told me I looked intelligent.

Intelligent isn't interchangable with nerdy.
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
I mean like if someone says you look intelligent take it as a compliment?
They may not know your intelligence if they don't know you well....

I did well in school and some guys would bully me and call me a nerd so I am not sure it is a compliment. Even so, as I said, if someone tells me I'm intelligent I'd think it's a compliment. When they tell me I look it, I don't know how to respond.
Reply 4
Original post by Rid The Kid
they want a dumb guy so they could cheat on him.

Not following you tbh. Not as intelligent as I look (apparently).
Reply 5
This was in response to your asking them whether they found you attractive, wasn't it?
Original post by Anonymous
Not following you tbh. Not as intelligent as I look (apparently).

nvm, maybe its a way of them saying they aren't interested? its a compliment bro and take it with open arms
Reply 7
Original post by MidgetFever
I'd take it as a compliment if someone told me I looked intelligent.

Intelligent isn't interchangable with nerdy.

I still don't know how it's a compliment. I don't know any girl that I find attractive for whom I'd say that she looks intelligent (all of them actually are but none ''look it''). It sounds nonsensical and spurious. Kinda like saying you're a nice guy. It's a compliment but usually used to actually tell you "I'm not interested".
Reply 8
Original post by Profesh
This was in response to your asking them whether they found you attractive, wasn't it?

No, they said they liked my pictures and that I look ''intelligent'', ''smart'' and ''sophisticated''. Major cringe to ask such a thing.
Reply 9
I am not particularly intelligent or anything but a couple of girls I tried to get close to told me they thought I looked like an intelligent guy. (that was what one of them said and other pretty much told me the same - that I look "smart" and "sophisticated").

Now, I don't know what those things mean (probably that I look nerdy??), it would've felt good if they told me I actually am intelligent as opposed to you ''look'' intelligent. Was it meant as a rejection? polite term for ''you're ugly lol''? girls, is it something you'd think about a guy?

given your use of the word "tried" [in this context], I am going to assume you failed in your attempts to commence relations

Therefore, I would not look at the "you look intelligent" thing as a good thing. If it was so good you would be not posting this topic because you would be busy banging them...
Original post by Rid The Kid
nvm, maybe its a way of them saying they aren't interested? its a compliment bro and take it with open arms

It's what I think too (though I WISH it's not true) and I want to befriend them even if they don't find me attractive. I want to be friends with them but if I make a move, it'll get awkward and they will probably stop talking to me?

I just hate how complicated flirting and dating is.
I still don't know how it's a compliment. I don't know any girl that I find attractive for whom I'd say that she looks intelligent (all of them actually are but none ''look it''). It sounds nonsensical and spurious. Kinda like saying you're a nice guy. It's a compliment but usually used to actually tell you "I'm not interested".

I mean it could be that, but some people prefer intelligent looking people, myself included.

I suppose it could be a subtle way of saying they don't find you attractive, but it could also be a genuine compliment. The only way you can really tell is by how they act arpund you I suppose.
Original post by ANM775
given your use of the word "tried" [in this context], I am going to assume you failed in your attempts to commence relations

Therefore, I would not look at the "you look intelligent" thing as a good thing. If it was so good you would be not posting this topic because you would be busy banging them...

I'm the one who has ceased talking to them right now because I'm confused. I don't want to bang them btw, I want to know them more and see if we're compatible. I guess that means I want a relationship with someone but not right now and not just ''banging''.
It's what I think too (though I WISH it's not true) and I want to befriend them even if they don't find me attractive. I want to be friends with them but if I make a move, it'll get awkward and they will probably stop talking to me?

I just hate how complicated flirting and dating is.

best to stay friends rather than risking the friendship. until you're 100% certain they are into you make the move, or they can.

ye, if they are into you they'll approach you sooner or later. just play it cool.
Original post by MidgetFever
I mean it could be that, but some people prefer intelligent looking people, myself included.

I suppose it could be a subtle way of saying they don't find you attractive, but it could also be a genuine compliment. The only way you can really tell is by how they act arpund you I suppose.

Yeah I figured. I hate subtlety so much, I can't ''read'' girls at all but it seems all girls are extremely subtle?? I am not made for this thing.
Reply 15
I'm the one who has ceased talking to them right now because I'm confused. I don't want to bang them btw, I want to know them more and see if we're compatible. I guess that means I want a relationship with someone but not right now and not just ''banging''.

Have you been friend zoned do you think?
If you are interested in a woman, and want to make friends with her you should be dropping hints from the start that you find her attractive, otherwise it just gets mega awkward when it comes to making a move if you have had a strictly platonic relationship up until that point.

have you tried flirting with them?
Original post by ANM775
Have you been friend zoned do you think?
If you are interested in a woman, and want to make friends with her you should be dropping hints from the start that you find her attractive, otherwise it just gets mega awkward when it comes to making a move if you have had a strictly platonic relationship up until that point.

have you tried flirting with them?

I've flirted with them lightly, teasing, making jokes, etc. But nothing sexual or anything, it's not my style. Idk how to make it obvious to them that I not only like them as potential friends?

I don't mind being ''friendzoned'', having female friends is a good way to expand your social circle and meet new women. But I also like them a lot so...
Take it at surface value. Those aren't words with negative connotations or deep meanings.
Reply 18
Maybe they were describing your style or like an 'aura' you put off ??? For example, someone dresses well or acts posh or just holds themselves together well can be viewed to look smart and sophisticated. And looking intelligent doesn't mean you're ugly, nor does it mean you are smart, and there are many people who just present themselves in a way that is sophisticated without knowing, you get me?? In this case, it is not a rejection but just an observation. My friends comment on how I seem posh and smart but I am very far from it, and they know this too. It's just how others interpret you.
Yeah I figured. I hate subtlety so much, I can't ''read'' girls at all but it seems all girls are extremely subtle?? I am not made for this thing.

I agree that it's frustrating. I wouldn't say all girls are subtle though. I'm pretty blunt myself, but some people perceive that as being too forward or rude, so you can't really win either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending