The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford?

I did my Further Maths AS, but I don't think I got higher than a B. I want to study Physics, and my A-Levels are Maths, Physics and Economics, and I reckon I will be predicted at least A* A A. (Not bragging) but I also got all 8s and 9s for my GCSEs (4 9s in the sciences and english lang). However, as I want to study Physics, is it realistic for me to apply, considering they would expect an A in Further Maths? I don't want to waste my time, and get my hopes up.

(Anon) as I don't want people to know its me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I did my Further Maths AS, but I don't think I got higher than a B. I want to study Physics, and my A-Levels are Maths, Physics and Economics, and I reckon I will be predicted at least A* A A. (Not bragging) but I also got all 8s and 9s for my GCSEs (4 9s in the sciences and english lang). However, as I want to study Physics, is it realistic for me to apply, considering they would expect an A in Further Maths? I don't want to waste my time, and get my hopes up.

OMG it is you:eek:
Reply 2
You caught me :biggrin:
Original post by CuriosityYay
OMG it is you:eek:
Yeah but you don't know that you didn't get an A or A*, wait until results day and decide then, but other than that I think you're a strong candidate
I applied to Oxbridge with all A*s at GCSEs and 4A*s at A-level (+A* EPQ) and got rejected. Nobody really knows whether you'll be accepted just based on your grades. Having said that, it's still worth applying. I learned a lot throughout the process :smile:
I applied to Oxbridge with all A*s at GCSEs and 4A*s at A-level (+A* EPQ) and got rejected. Nobody really knows whether you'll be accepted just based on your grades. Having said that, it's still worth applying. I learned a lot throughout the process :smile:

How did you get rejected?! Aren’t those literally the highest possible grades you can get in anything?! Maybe you just didn’t do enough extracurricular or something? Wow that baffles me lol
Reply 6
Congratulations on your grades though, you must have a strong work ethic. Do you reckon its because many people get such high grades, or because they're flexible with what grades people get?
Colleges in the UK asses your application based on other 'extracurricular' activities and don't look at your grades if you pass the minimum requirement. (according to my knowledge)
How did you get rejected?! Aren’t those literally the highest possible grades you can get in anything?! Maybe you just didn’t do enough extracurricular or something? Wow that baffles me lol

Most, if not all, apply with the same grades. My admissions assessment were terrible and interviews (I had 2) worse. I think it's lack of preparation as I did not prepare for the admissions assessment at all lol. As for the interviews, it's down to luck what questions they ask you, and how nice/lenient the interviewers are. One of my interviewers was super nice and patient, and I managed to answer all his questions correctly but others were not as pleasant. Extracurriculars bear very little weight btw.
Colleges in the UK asses your application based on other 'extracurricular' activities and don't look at your grades if you pass the minimum requirement. (according to my knowledge)

Do you mean extracurriculars or super-curriculars?
i got accepted for geography - with far worse GCSEs than that (although justified medically) - key i think is the PS, prioritise this summer enhancing what you can write about via further reading
Do you mean extracurriculars or super-curriculars?

I am not a native speaker and don't know the difference between both. Please tell me!

I mean stuff like:
member/leader in the school chess club for two years
Did voluntary work at X, etc

Plus the personal statement and the interview play a big role!
extracurricular is like netball lessons and playing the piano. I think super curricular is taking the subject taught in class further such as taking additional Spanish classes. Volunteering would be extracurricular
I am not a native speaker and don't know the difference between both. Please tell me!

I mean stuff like:

I mean stuff like:

Extra-curricular - e.g. DoE, music, sports
Super-curricular - e.g. competitions, lectures, reading widely beyond the A-level syllabus

English is not my first language either, it's just a matter of looking up on Google
Extra-curricular - e.g. DoE, music, sports
Super-curricular - e.g. competitions, lectures, reading widely beyond the A-level syllabus

English is not my first language either, it's just a matter of looking up on Google

I always search google but TSR made me lazy :frown:

Not to let you down, but if you can't manage to get at least an A in FM in 2 years, you won't be able to cope a term at Oxford. I heard from my friend who attends Cambridge that the entire FM course is taught in 2 weeks.
Aha I have only been learning it four months - an AS in taught in Year 12, and I started late. I am not worried about me coping as it was down to me messing up one exam out of the three due to nerves.
Not to let you down, but if you can't manage to get at least an A in FM in 2 years, you won't be able to cope a term at Oxford. I heard from my friend who attends Cambridge that the entire FM course is taught in 2 weeks.

If you do apply, it's better to not expect anything. Practice all the PAT papers in summer, go to UNIQ summer school, join competitions, read widely, go to lectures

Still, A-levels should be breeze easy for an Oxford applicant, and you should be able to balance a whole lot of other super-curriculars without sacrificing your A-levels :smile: I speak based on my friends who got offers from Oxford
I always search google but TSR made me lazy :frown:

Absolutely not a valid excuse. People using "English is not my native language" as an excuse for everything pisses me out so much.

Quick Reply

Latest