The Student Room Group

For A level Physics - should I use the revision guide or the textbook 1st

Hi, I was wondering what I should use first, I could use the textbook 1st to fully understand the concept, then use the revision guide to make notes. Or should I make notes from the textbook. Or should I read the textbook then make notes on the revision guide?

Or should I use the revision guide first, start making notes on it, then use the textbook if I don't understand something. I really need help, please answer all my questions.
Reply 1
Original post by Azimbrook1
Hi, I was wondering what I should use first, I could use the textbook 1st to fully understand the concept, then use the revision guide to make notes. Or should I make notes from the textbook. Or should I read the textbook then make notes on the revision guide?

Or should I use the revision guide first, start making notes on it, then use the textbook if I don't understand something. I really need help, please answer all my questions.

I’m not sure what would work best for you, but I’d be happy to share what process I go through with physics!!

So we learn something in class where I make rough notes on it. Then at home or in study, I read that section of the textbook to make sure I fully understand it all. When writing out the notes, I tend to use what I already wrote, the CGP revision guide and the specification, making sure I’ve covered everything on there. I tend to read the book and then write my notes using my own wording, and this tests whether something is properly understood or not.

I hope this helps in some way :smile:
It's down to personal preference really, for me, I've only used the textbooks for Medical Physics as I often find they give you more detail than you need and you can get confused rather easily. YouTube videos have been my main method of learning content, alongside explaining topics to myself to test my understanding and confirm peoples' suspicions that I'm insane.
Reply 3
Original post by justsomeguy17
It's down to personal preference really, for me, I've only used the textbooks for Medical Physics as I often find they give you more detail than you need and you can get confused rather easily. YouTube videos have been my main method of learning content, alongside explaining topics to myself to test my understanding and confirm peoples' suspicions that I'm insane.

I agree with that, explaining topics to someone else is honestly the best way to understand something!!

Here's how I moved through A Level physics this year (AS & A2).

I watched YouTube videos from a channel called "ScienceShorts", the guy explains stuff really well. His videos are tailored for AQA but I used them for Edexcel IAL and they worked just as well. After watching the videos, I'd read the lesson from the book, & highlight the key ideas, definitions, etc. I would also annotate any extra ideas I got from the video that weren't explained well enough in depth in the book. I would then solve the questions at the end of the chapter. As for formulae, any ones that could be derived from one another, I'd practice every few days until I was sure I got the hang of them. That's the preliminary phase.

To me, the main phase of studying physics is doing past papers, because physics is all about exam technique, and past papers really hone that. After solving the papers and marking them, what I found useful was going through Examiner Reports (I'm not sure if they're called the same for AQA) and compare the comments of the Examiner Report to my script, because you'll find that you subconsciously do some of the mistakes mentioned in the report, even if you had the keyword mentioned in the mark schemes. After finishing the past papers, you could look through the past papers for the topics you made mistakes in recurringly and revising them again from the book, or from a revision guide if the book wasn't detailed enough.
Reply 5
Original post by joeahmed$01
Here's how I moved through A Level physics this year (AS & A2).

I watched YouTube videos from a channel called "ScienceShorts", the guy explains stuff really well. His videos are tailored for AQA but I used them for Edexcel IAL and they worked just as well. After watching the videos, I'd read the lesson from the book, & highlight the key ideas, definitions, etc. I would also annotate any extra ideas I got from the video that weren't explained well enough in depth in the book. I would then solve the questions at the end of the chapter. As for formulae, any ones that could be derived from one another, I'd practice every few days until I was sure I got the hang of them. That's the preliminary phase.

To me, the main phase of studying physics is doing past papers, because physics is all about exam technique, and past papers really hone that. After solving the papers and marking them, what I found useful was going through Examiner Reports (I'm not sure if they're called the same for AQA) and compare the comments of the Examiner Report to my script, because you'll find that you subconsciously do some of the mistakes mentioned in the report, even if you had the keyword mentioned in the mark schemes. After finishing the past papers, you could look through the past papers for the topics you made mistakes in recurringly and revising them again from the book, or from a revision guide if the book wasn't detailed enough.

so do you think I should make notes on a subtopic and do the exam Questions bit by bit, or should I complete notes for an entire topic and do the exam papers afterwards on the entire thing. remember that I'm talking about the 1st time learning something
so do you think I should make notes on a subtopic and do the exam Questions bit by bit, or should I complete notes for an entire topic and do the exam papers afterwards on the entire thing. remember that I'm talking about the 1st time learning something

Honestly, I do full past papers after finishing the full syllabus. However, if there's a topic I'm struggling with, I solve some of its classified questions from PhysicsMathTutor

Quick Reply

Latest