The Student Room Group

Is Manchester a safe place for a girl student?

I have an offer to study at the University of Manchester and I'm an International student from India. I was wondering if Manchester is a safe city overall.
Safer than India, don't worry.
Everywhere, wherever you go these days is inherently dangerous, but you can't let it stop you doing what you want to do, and that goes for whether you are male or female.
I live in Manchester although I won’t be studying there. It’s a busy main city. Like any city, it’s full of drunk people in the middle of the night, and full of homeless people, sadly. There are a lot of pick pockets so you gotta be vigilant with your stuff. Knife crime is on the rise & it’s scary how many people carry knives around & get stabbed.

But if you keep yourself to yourself, you’ll be fine. I’ve never had an issue. If you’re involved with the wrong people then yeh you could end up in trouble. But I’ve had no issues. Read the Manchester evening news for updates 😂 it’s a lovely city & I’m so proud to call it my home. But like any busy city, it’s full of crime. Don’t get involved with gangs/dealers and you’ll be fine.

If you live on campus, you’ll be protected by security. But bare in mind thieves assume that international students are “loaded” so students are a target for pick pocketing/robberies. I know a few people who have been casually walking down the streets and then motorbikes have come, grabbed their bags or phones and then driven off. That’s a huge problem here. But again, just be streetwise & vigilant. Don’t walk around with your phone in your hand. I’d avoid using headphones just so you’re well aware of your surroundings. Always keep your hand tightly on your stuff. Have a rape alarm on your keys. Don’t carry wads of cash around. Just basic stuff on how to be “streetwise.” Like I said I’ve lived there all my life, you just gotta know how to be safe. It’s like any other busy city.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I live in Manchester although I won’t be studying there. It’s a busy main city. Like any city, it’s full of drunk people in the middle of the night, and full of homeless people, sadly. There are a lot of pick pockets so you gotta be vigilant with your stuff. Knife crime is on the rise & it’s scary how many people carry knives around & get stabbed.

But if you keep yourself to yourself, you’ll be fine. I’ve never had an issue. If you’re involved with the wrong people then yeh you could end up in trouble. But I’ve had no issues. Read the Manchester evening news for updates 😂 it’s a lovely city & I’m so proud to call it my home. But like any busy city, it’s full of crime. Don’t get involved with gangs/dealers and you’ll be fine.

If you live on campus, you’ll be protected by security. But bare in mind thieves assume that international students are “loaded” so students are a target for pick pocketing/robberies. I know a few people who have been casually walking down the streets and then motorbikes have come, grabbed their bags or phones and then driven off. That’s a huge problem here. But again, just be streetwise & vigilant. Don’t walk around with your phone in your hand. I’d avoid using headphones just so you’re well aware of your surroundings. Always keep your hand tightly on your stuff. Have a rape alarm on your keys. Don’t carry wads of cash around. Just basic stuff on how to be “streetwise.” Like I said I’ve lived there all my life, you just gotta know how to be safe. It’s like any other busy city.

Thanks for the reply! I also have an offer for a Singapore University and I'm only concerned about the safety, people and nightlife in Manchester compared to Singapore. Which one do you think is better?
Yes, as long as you do what you can to keep yourself safe.
Original post by Kavya30
Thanks for the reply! I also have an offer for a Singapore University and I'm only concerned about the safety, people and nightlife in Manchester compared to Singapore. Which one do you think is better?

I’ve never been to Singapore so I can’t comment on the difference between the two. I can’t imagine Singapore will be violet? I honestly have no idea. Look at where you want to work in the future/what uni is best for your course as well. Manchester has an amazing night life, if that’s what you’re after. Singapore seems more strict? Idk maybe that’s just my stereotypes 😂
Reply 7
I’ve never been to Singapore so I can’t comment on the difference between the two. I can’t imagine Singapore will be violet? I honestly have no idea. Look at where you want to work in the future/what uni is best for your course as well. Manchester has an amazing night life, if that’s what you’re after. Singapore seems more strict? Idk maybe that’s just my stereotypes 😂

Coming to the Job, any idea how Brexit will have an impact on International students? Like does it seem like it's going to be a better or worse situation for International students?
Original post by Kavya30

hey! i’m from singapore. just wondering which uni in singapore were you offered? NUS and NTU is among the top 15 in the world.
Safety: as someone who is pretty paranoid and anxious about safety i can say that singapore is very safe. most people would feel safe walking alone at night. as long as you avoid some dodgy areas(places you wouldn’t even want or need to go) you should be fine.even then it’s unlikely that anything will happen. the law is very strict here so that helps with the low crime rates. violent crimes are not common. just look at the statistics singapore is probably one of the safest places to live in.
people: singaporeans comprise of 4 main races: chinese malay indian eurasian so the country is super multicultural. we may not be the most friendly people but once you start a conversation we are pretty chill and nice. also singaporeans love their food. so many cheap good food you can enjoy.
nightlife: i havent really experienced this but many of my friends seem to be having great time at clubs! there’s a lot of bars and clubs here you can go to. most shopping centres closes around 9.30/10. many food places open till late. there’s definitely many things you can do after 10pm here. you might wanna try prawning.
i’m gonna be going to manchester to study soon and i’m pretty excited but scared as i’ve seen many articles regarding crimes in manchester. it’s also one of the more dangerous cities to live in britain. so manchester is definitely not as safe as singapore. but i guess wherever you go as long as you know how to behave and carry yourself it should be fine.
hey! i’m from singapore and as a person who’s super paranoid about safety and crime i can confidently say that singapore is very safe. most people would feel safe to walk alone at night. maybe avoid some dodgy areas but other than that it’s very safe. the law is very strict here so crime rate is pretty low especially those concerning violence.
Reply 10
No, as soon as you step foot in Manchester you're in for a world of pain, run for your bloody life!

Same happens in all major cities
Original post by Kavya30
I have an offer to study at the University of Manchester and I'm an International student from India. I was wondering if Manchester is a safe city overall.

What people are saying happens in all major cities and built up areas, you will be safe and don’t have to worry about safety the whole time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending