The Student Room Group

English Language

Is it bad if you do your descriptive writing as a story?
You pick up marks for the description, whereas just writing about things happening doesn't get you a good grade. This isn't a great example but if you said "The boy ran in the field", you'd get no/extremely little marks, whereas saying "The sweet boy frolicked around the vast, open field of luscious emerald grass", you'd get the marks.
Reply 2
Original post by ririroo
You pick up marks for the description, whereas just writing about things happening doesn't get you a good grade. This isn't a great example but if you said "The boy ran in the field", you'd get no/extremely little marks, whereas saying "The sweet boy frolicked around the vast, open field of luscious emerald grass", you'd get the marks.

Thus, I would always pick the narrative if I could! Credit for narratives can be awarded for the plot as well as the description.
Yes of course, though the person asking was talking about writing the descriptive question, and apparently there's no guarantee that there will be both narrative and descriptive questions to choose from.
Original post by Tolgarda
Thus, I would always pick the narrative if I could! Credit for narratives can be awarded for the plot as well as the description.
Reply 4
Original post by ririroo
...and apparently there's no guarantee that there will be both narrative and descriptive questions to choose from.

I know, which is why I wrote 'if' there because of the scenario in which both options were descriptive (although this didn't occur for me during the course, fortunately).
Ah I see. :smile:
Original post by Tolgarda
I know, which is why I wrote 'if' there because of the scenario in which both options were descriptive (although this didn't occur for me during the course, fortunately).
Original post by ririroo
Yes of course, though the person asking was talking about writing the descriptive question, and apparently there's no guarantee that there will be both narrative and descriptive questions to choose from.

you can choose if you're doing aqa
yes usually, but there's no guarantee that it will be either a description or a narrative, it could be a choice between two narrative or two descriptions.
Original post by sqrt of 5
you can choose if you're doing aqa
Original post by ririroo
yes usually, but there's no guarantee that it will be either a description or a narrative, it could be a choice between two narrative or two descriptions.

wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? T_T
it's unlikely but the exam board have said it could happen.
Original post by sqrt of 5
wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? T_T

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending