The Student Room Group

Getting a first in third year?

So my first year average was 67 and I don’t have all my second year grades back yet but it looks like I’m going to come out with a high 2:1 again. Do you think it’s possible for me to get a first at the end of my final year if it get enough firsts? I have worked hard but can never seem to get my essays above a mid 2:1..
Original post by dowoonie2
So my first year average was 67 and I don’t have all my second year grades back yet but it looks like I’m going to come out with a high 2:1 again. Do you think it’s possible for me to get a first at the end of my final year if it get enough firsts? I have worked hard but can never seem to get my essays above a mid 2:1..

Yes but you need a noticeable improvement. Take the advice of your tutors plus read up some of the books on essay writing to see what if anything you are missing.

Power of argument, use of evidence, analysis, evaluation, wider reading, originality. It might be the case you just need to do everything better.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes but you need a noticeable improvement. Take the advice of your tutors plus read up some of the books on essay writing to see what if anything you are missing.

Power of argument, use of evidence, analysis, evaluation, wider reading, originality. It might be the case you just need to do everything better.

I’ll do that, thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Yes, you can because third year grades count for a greater percentage of your final grade than the others.

I highly recommend going to see your tutors as often as possible. Speak to them about the course, demonstrate your knowledge in person, show your interest in their field. Though essays are supposed to be marked anonymously, tutors can easily spot an essay written by someone who has actually gone to see them about it beforehand.

Speak to them about your essay plans and see them in their office hours for personalised feedback on your essays. You are more likely to receive the advice you need to bump your grades up by seeing them in person.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending