The Student Room Group

How do I follow lectures when I have APD? Advice please?

I struggled through high school, was assessed and diagnosed in the first year of college, and I'm heading to uni in September for a literature course.
My chosen uni sent me an invite to talk to student services about it and they said they'll make a note of my APD but they're not sure how they can help me, and honestly I'm not sure they can help me either.
In college the majority of work was done from textbooks or worksheets or detailed slides or was just visual based, but I've sat in on a lecture which basically had 1/10th of all the information on the slides and the rest being spoken.
It's hard to explain how the APD works, but it's like the words get all mixed up. I struggle to follow speech especially if there's background noise happening like a clock ticking or someone tapping their pencil. Plus if someone says words that sound like other words (like rhymes and stuff) I struggle to figure out which word they're saying.
I can read and spell fine, although I rely on autocorrect more than I'd like to, and I can bring my laptop for notes. I've seen the main lecture hall and the clock is on the right hand side of the back wall so I can just sit towards the front or to the left. The slides get put up online after the lecture, so I can always go over them on my own time, but I'm not sure how I'm going to keep track of what's actually said in lectures.
Does anyone on here have/know someone with APD/a similar issue that might be able to help me? Student services did the best they could but admitted that they weren't sure how best to help me. How can I keep track of lectures without falling behind due to my APD?
Reply 1
Hmm, would being able to access recordings to relisten to the lecture help at all? What about someone attending the lectures with you to take notes for you so you don't have to worry as much about that aspect of it and trying to decipher what's being said?

I'm assuming by APD you mean auditory processing disorder? I have some hearing loss (nothing major) and I found being able to listen to recordings again was helpful for me at university, also I had a dictaphone provided by DSA which helped as well. I'm not sure how helpful you'd find this but it might help?
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
Hmm, would being able to access recordings to relisten to the lecture help at all? What about someone attending the lectures with you to take notes for you so you don't have to worry as much about that aspect of it and trying to decipher what's being said?

I'm assuming by APD you mean auditory processing disorder? I have some hearing loss (nothing major) and I found being able to listen to recordings again was helpful for me at university, also I had a dictaphone provided by DSA which helped as well. I'm not sure how helpful you'd find this but it might help?

I'm not sure what the uni's stance is on recording. I'll email and ask or just find out in September. Not sure about the having someone come with me. I'm moving away from home to do it so it's not like I know anyone but maybeo once I start and make a friend I can borrow notes?
Yeah APD is auditory processing disorder. That sounds like it might help to an extent but the last time I tried it in college I wound up with keys clacking on the recording and kept listening to that instead of the actual words. Probably because I had the recording going on my laptop while I was making notes.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure what the uni's stance is on recording. I'll email and ask or just find out in September. Not sure about the having someone come with me. I'm moving away from home to do it so it's not like I know anyone but maybeo once I start and make a friend I can borrow notes?
Yeah APD is auditory processing disorder. That sounds like it might help to an extent but the last time I tried it in college I wound up with keys clacking on the recording and kept listening to that instead of the actual words. Probably because I had the recording going on my laptop while I was making notes.

Assuming you're in the UK and you'll be eligible for student finance, you can apply for DSA. Dictaphones and a note taker could be paid for that way. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I struggled through high school, was assessed and diagnosed in the first year of college, and I'm heading to uni in September for a literature course.
My chosen uni sent me an invite to talk to student services about it and they said they'll make a note of my APD but they're not sure how they can help me, and honestly I'm not sure they can help me either.
In college the majority of work was done from textbooks or worksheets or detailed slides or was just visual based, but I've sat in on a lecture which basically had 1/10th of all the information on the slides and the rest being spoken.
It's hard to explain how the APD works, but it's like the words get all mixed up. I struggle to follow speech especially if there's background noise happening like a clock ticking or someone tapping their pencil. Plus if someone says words that sound like other words (like rhymes and stuff) I struggle to figure out which word they're saying.
I can read and spell fine, although I rely on autocorrect more than I'd like to, and I can bring my laptop for notes. I've seen the main lecture hall and the clock is on the right hand side of the back wall so I can just sit towards the front or to the left. The slides get put up online after the lecture, so I can always go over them on my own time, but I'm not sure how I'm going to keep track of what's actually said in lectures.
Does anyone on here have/know someone with APD/a similar issue that might be able to help me? Student services did the best they could but admitted that they weren't sure how best to help me. How can I keep track of lectures without falling behind due to my APD?

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. As a mature student I often find it hard to follow what my teachers are saying.
I believe @Pathway mentioned using a dictaphone, which is a good idea. (beats using your phone and killin your battery)!
I use one my aunt bought for me from Amazon called a JiGMO - pretty neat you can start stop and has decent battery life.
But do your research and talk to DSA - i'm sure they can help you :-)
Reply 5
Ask for the lecture notes. Mine are always more detailed that I have time to cover in the lectures and I provide them to the students after the lecture has taken place. If they have a support plan, then I give them access before the lecture.
Original post by gjd800
Ask for the lecture notes. Mine are always more detailed that I have time to cover in the lectures and I provide them to the students after the lecture has taken place. If they have a support plan, then I give them access before the lecture.

one time..i asked my lecturer for notes (yes. I've been to uni before.) and i was stood over her shoulder while she scrolled through her phone. she said she took screenshots of the board for any one who missed the former lecture. well...she ended up swiping thru mirror selfies...and she was topless, i swear down. but shes like..50, and a bit overweight. i'll never forget i'm scarred. i have a thread on it, few yrs ago, was pretty popular. :rofl:
Reply 7
Original post by Bang Outta Order
one time..i asked my lecturer for notes (yes. I've been to uni before.) and i was stood over her shoulder while she scrolled through her phone. she said she took screenshots of the board for any one who missed the former lecture. well...she ended up swiping thru mirror selfies...and she was topless, i swear down. but shes like..50, and a bit overweight. i'll never forget i'm scarred. i have a thread on it, few yrs ago, was pretty popular. :rofl:

HAHAHA oh my word :laugh: Did she know you had seen?!
Original post by gjd800
HAHAHA oh my word :laugh: Did she know you had seen?!

well she an egotistic nightmare, so she refused to act how she probably felt. she just tilted the phone away for a bit. i looked away and just stared straight ahead like :colonhash: literally. you wont believe the grade she gave me lol. though i was always late with attendance and work :colone: ended up dropping uni with a 2:1. :colone: got my former job haha.
Reply 9
Original post by Bang Outta Order
well she an egotistic nightmare, so she refused to act how she probably felt. she just tilted the phone away for a bit. i looked away and just stared straight ahead like :colonhash: literally. you wont believe the grade she gave me lol. though i was always late with attendance and work :colone: ended up dropping uni with a 2:1. :colone: got my former job haha.

I am sat here chuckling at that haha, bloody hell :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
I am sat here chuckling at that haha, bloody hell :laugh:

but honestly i feel quite bad lol must be hard being single at that age. and looking how she does, no offense. just like susan boyle, im not kidding you. but anyways haha.

Quick Reply

Latest