The Student Room Group

French Listening Help

I’m doing French GCSE and I am really struggling with the listening aspect of the course. I’m fine with writing/speaking/listening, but just can’t understand the listening. I have tried listening to french radio and watching french movies, but it hasn’t helped. Usually in the listening exams, I try to make out the french I understand, translate the part I understand in English, but by the time I’ve mentally translated it, I’ve missed the next part of what was being said. Any advice on how to approach the listening aspect would be very helpful, thanks.
Reply 1
In the real deal, in the Listening exam, you'll have 5 minutes to read through the paper. During that time, you can jot down what words might come up in the recording. Use the first time the audio is played to get a slight idea of what they're saying, then use the second time to listen out for the answer. Make sure your French vocabulary is broad too, since you won't recognise words that you don't know.

If you're doing AQA French, here are some practice papers for listening and the other components, albeit from the old spec, but still useful: http://www.broadwater.surrey.sch.uk/1775/gcse-french-past-papers
I think French listening is most people's weakness in GCSE French, therefore luckily for you the grade boundaries are quite low! I wouldn't worry too much, maybe try out duolingo as u can hear all the words you're learning which will help you to recognise the words when it comes to listening. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks-I’ll try doing this. I think that I will try get an overview of what is being said the first time round. I struggle with finding vocabulary being said when it iis spoken so quickly.
Original post by Anthos
In the real deal, in the Listening exam, you'll have 5 minutes to read through the paper. During that time, you can jot down what words might come up in the recording. Use the first time the audio is played to get a slight idea of what they're saying, then use the second time to listen out for the answer. Make sure your French vocabulary is broad too, since you won't recognise words that you don't know.

If you're doing AQA French, here are some practice papers for listening and the other components, albeit from the old spec, but still useful: http://www.broadwater.surrey.sch.uk/1775/gcse-french-past-papers
Reply 4
Yeah, I hope grade boundaries will be low. I’ve tried a bit of duolingo and memrise and I’m not sure which is best as duolingo doesn’t seem to go over exam-specific vocabulary
Original post by ririroo
I think French listening is most people's weakness in GCSE French, therefore luckily for you the grade boundaries are quite low! I wouldn't worry too much, maybe try out duolingo as u can hear all the words you're learning which will help you to recognise the words when it comes to listening. Good luck!
Reply 5
IDK about you but Edexcel higher was spoken super slowly! I would say try listen out for key aspects of the response rather than try to translate the whole thing - when you're going through the paper think about specific words in the question to listen out for so you don't translate everything. Also think of words that could be mentioned, and listen out for them or words with the same/similar meaning - but don't focus too hard listening for that exact word cause you don't know if they'll use it. Listen out for time indicators too! And linking phrases e.g. par contre because that's a clear distinction of topic within the response! You can do this, especially if you're good at everything else because you won't have to score as high against already low grade boundaries! Good luck - you can do this!!! xxx
I do Edexcel and most of the vocabulary I learned on there came up in listening tests. Memrise is pretty helpful too though
Original post by epicnm
Yeah, I hope grade boundaries will be low. I’ve tried a bit of duolingo and memrise and I’m not sure which is best as duolingo doesn’t seem to go over exam-specific vocabulary
Reply 7
Thanks so much! I’m doing AQA, I’ll definitely remember to do this. I think my problem was I was trying to translate the whole thing and not looking for specific phrases and words in order to answer a question
Original post by EmRep13
IDK about you but Edexcel higher was spoken super slowly! I would say try listen out for key aspects of the response rather than try to translate the whole thing - when you're going through the paper think about specific words in the question to listen out for so you don't translate everything. Also think of words that could be mentioned, and listen out for them or words with the same/similar meaning - but don't focus too hard listening for that exact word cause you don't know if they'll use it. Listen out for time indicators too! And linking phrases e.g. par contre because that's a clear distinction of topic within the response! You can do this, especially if you're good at everything else because you won't have to score as high against already low grade boundaries! Good luck - you can do this!!! xxx
Reply 8
Thanks!I do AQA. When you use duolingo, do you start from the basics of French and also, does it go over verbs and grammar? I’ve tried using it before but it seemed a bit basic at first. Do you think Quizlet should be used aswell as Duolingo/Memrise or should I just stick with one. Thanks
Original post by ririroo
I do Edexcel and most of the vocabulary I learned on there came up in listening tests. Memrise is pretty helpful too though
I'd just stick with the one tbh, Memrise is probably better for u if you're doing AQA.
Original post by epicnm
Thanks!I do AQA. When you use duolingo, do you start from the basics of French and also, does it go over verbs and grammar? I’ve tried using it before but it seemed a bit basic at first. Do you think Quizlet should be used aswell as Duolingo/Memrise or should I just stick with one. Thanks
Reply 10
Ok, thanks
Original post by ririroo
I'd just stick with the one tbh, Memrise is probably better for u if you're doing AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending