The Student Room Group

Pregnancy at uni

Hi so I'm just finishing my Alevels and I have recently decovered I am pregnant. I am dew in November but I still want to go to uni in September and do my degree. My boyfriend
(the Father) is a soldier and will be based in England and I have conditional places in NI, I was just wondering if anyone knew what sort of support the government/student finance/the university/the armed fources would give someone in my situation.
JHEEZE
Original post by TheYearNiner
JHEEZE

That's not appropriate.
Have you considered deferring entry? You might manage fine while actually pregnant but uni with a newborn is another story. Not just physically but it'd be emotionally difficult as well.
Reply 4
I could but if I do I will have no where to go, I have so far hidden the pregnancy from my perents as I know that they will not be supportive and was sort of relying on uni as somewhere to go I know it's not the most practical but I don't have many options currently. I have a lot of friends who are also going to Belfast for uni and who have said we will all sit down with our schedules and work out who is free and when so that the baby can be looked after, I know it's not an ideal situation for any child to be brought up with but.... Yeah
Original post by sinfonietta
Have you considered deferring entry? You might manage fine while actually pregnant but uni with a newborn is another story. Not just physically but it'd be emotionally difficult as well.
Original post by Petie123
I could but if I do I will have no where to go, I have so far hidden the pregnancy from my perents as I know that they will not be supportive and was sort of relying on uni as somewhere to go I know it's not the most practical but I don't have many options currently. I have a lot of friends who are also going to Belfast for uni and who have said we will all sit down with our schedules and work out who is free and when so that the baby can be looked after, I know it's not an ideal situation for any child to be brought up with but.... Yeah

I think you should at least wait a year, tell your parents, get a job, get settled with your boyfriend and then begin university, I know a girl who got pregnant at 19, took a year out, got settled with her family and boyfriend and then came back to do her degree, something to consider.
Reply 6
I will thank you, but incase my perents do decide to kick me out and uni is my only option is anyone awere of any support be it financial or emoational that I can get ?
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I think you should at least wait a year, tell your parents, get a job, get settled with your boyfriend and then begin university, I know a girl who got pregnant at 19, took a year out, got settled with her family and boyfriend and then came back to do her degree, something to consider.
You would mostly likely be able to get financial support, to get help from the army you will have to be married to your boyfriend (like housing in barracks etc) I would seriously consider deferring a year, because juggling a new born and a degree at the same time is incredibly difficult, what if you get post natal depression? It’s not impossible but people who do it have their partner to help, and since yours isn’t going to be around much then it leaves you on your own. I would highly advise you go to uni later, or have you considered the OU?
I will thank you, but incase my perents do decide to kick me out and uni is my only option is anyone awere of any support be it financial or emoational that I can get ?

You can get housing from the government, because of the baby, counselling housing and financial support just as benefits, child support and I think you can get some funds towards child minding when appropriate
Reply 9
Will government help be like student finance? As in because I have lived with my perents for the last three year and they earn good salary's will that mean I won't get it? As for the army I knew that as my boyfriend is for Sandhurst I wouldn't be able to live in barracks but I thought their would be some for of child support .... Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
You would mostly likely be able to get financial support, to get help from the army you will have to be married to your boyfriend (like housing in barracks etc) I would seriously consider deferring a year, because juggling a new born and a degree at the same time is incredibly difficult, what if you get post natal depression? It’s not impossible but people who do it have their partner to help, and since yours isn’t going to be around much then it leaves you on your own. I would highly advise you go to uni later, or have you considered the OU?
Will government help be like student finance? As in because I have lived with my perents for the last three year and they earn good salary's will that mean I won't get it? As for the army I knew that as my boyfriend is for Sandhurst I wouldn't be able to live in barracks but I thought their would be some for of child support .... Thank you

To answer these questions more accurately I would see if you can get an appointment with a service called Citizen Advice, just do a Google search and see if there is one in your area. My mum went there when she needed financial support for being a carer and they gave her a lot of useful information. Or contact the council and see if they can point you in the right direction. X
Congratulations!
There is additional student finance funding and grants available for students with children- parents learning allowance, childcare grant .
Do you or your boyfriend have family in northern ireland?

The armed forces also offer some support for families but they tend to favour marriage above unofficial relationships.
My friend found out she was 33 weeks pregnant during a levels, her parents threw her out and boyfriend was deployed overseas.
She was put in emergency b&b accommodation for a couple of weeks and went through a nightmare trying to get in touch with her boyfriend.
But she did eventually get help with more long term accommodation from the military and started uni when her daughter was 2.

Check out these links:

https://www.gov.uk/parents-learning-allowance
https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/support-and-advice/families/
Reply 12
Will do thank you
Original post by Anonymous
To answer these questions more accurately I would see if you can get an appointment with a service called Citizen Advice, just do a Google search and see if there is one in your area. My mum went there when she needed financial support for being a carer and they gave her a lot of useful information. Or contact the council and see if they can point you in the right direction. X
Reply 13
Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for, yes we are both from NI however both of our families are extremely "religious" and will not be supportive of us having a child when not married. Thank you x
Original post by londonmyst
Congratulations!
There is additional student finance funding and grants available for students with children- parents learning allowance, childcare grant .
Do you or your boyfriend have family in northern ireland?

The armed forces also offer some support for families but they tend to favour marriage above unofficial relationships.
My friend found out she was 33 weeks pregnant during a levels, her parents threw her out and boyfriend was deployed overseas.
She was put in emergency b&b accommodation for a couple of weeks and went through a nightmare trying to get in touch with her boyfriend.
But she did eventually get help with more long term accommodation from the military and started uni when her daughter was 2.

Check out these links:

https://www.gov.uk/parents-learning-allowance
https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant
https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/support-and-advice/families/
Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for, yes we are both from NI however both of our families are extremely "religious" and will not be supportive of us having a child when not married. Thank you x

My first boyfriend was from belfast, his family went to the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster.
The armed forces push couples to get married too, my friend was 17.
Here is the ni student finance link: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/extra-help-students-children
Reply 15
It's so nice to have people giving me advice that isn't to get married, my boyfriend is pushing for it and as soon as we tell our perents thay will want us to get married and thank you everyone for showing me I do have some options x
Original post by londonmyst
My first boyfriend was from belfast, his family went to the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster.
The armed forces push couples to get married too, my friend was 17.
Here is the ni student finance link: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/extra-help-students-children
Hi I don't know if anyone would see this thread anymore but just to tell anyone who is interested. Me and my boyfriend got married at the end of August shortly after he passed out of Sandhurst. On the 23rd of December I gave birth to a healthy baby boy and I will be starting my law degree in September. My father in law passed away in February and my mother in law is going to move in with us to enable me to complete my degree. So it all worked out xx
Hi so I'm just finishing my Alevels and I have recently decovered I am pregnant. I am dew in November but I still want to go to uni in September and do my degree. My boyfriend
(the Father) is a soldier and will be based in England and I have conditional places in NI, I was just wondering if anyone knew what sort of support the government/student finance/the university/the armed fources would give someone in my situation.

Most unis will have help there, some have nurseries you can leave the child at during lectures, and baby change places. Probably contact the uni and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest