The Student Room Group

Good university for Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence

I am very keen to study Computer science with Artificial Intelligence at uni, but unfortunately I did not pick A Level Maths. I know that reputation counts a lot, so I am wondering which university I should go for between Royal Holloway, Sussex or Nottingham and how would would you rank them for the course? I am looking for a university offering computer science with emphasis on Artificial intelligence with mathematical contents, and which would be more beneficial for me (recognised by very top universities) in order to do a master at Imperial College London, Oxbridge, Edinburgh or other top unis for AI/Data science.

Scroll to see replies

leeds uni, its russel group and has a joint degree with artificial intelligence
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
But Leeds ask for A in A Level Maths
Original post by subtleness
But Leeds ask for A in A Level Maths

not if you have computer science A level
Would go with Nottingham... Tons of stories of positive master's ascention. Very easy to do with the basis of a Nottingham degree. Since it's a good CV starter in it's own right.

Between those uni's it's your best bet by far.
I do management at Nottingham, and quite a few people have gone to LSE, Oxbridge, and Imperial for Masters. I don't imagine it would be any different for computer science.
Reply 5
Original post by Paolo3100
not if you have computer science A level

Unfortunately I am not doing computer science neither, but next year I will definitely do AS maths because some Unis would consider it instead of A Level Math (like Bath, Loughborough ect...) but my main worry is to end doing a master at a top tier uni in AI. I proposed Sussex, RHUL and Notts because there are the only ones doing AI in a bachelor degree (without A Level Maths) for which I like the course structure a lot
Unfortunately I am not doing computer science neither, but next year I will definitely do AS maths because some Unis would consider it instead of A Level Math (like Bath, Loughborough ect...) but my main worry is to end doing a master at a top tier uni in AI. I proposed Sussex, RHUL and Notts because there are the only ones doing AI in a bachelor degree (without A Level Maths) for which I like the course structure a lot

Nottingham also requires either computer science or maths
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Would go with Nottingham... Tons of stories of positive master's ascention. Very easy to do with the basis of a Nottingham degree. Since it's a good CV starter in it's own right.

I do management at Nottingham, and quite a few people have gone to LSE, Oxbridge, and Imperial for Masters. I don't imagine it would be any different for computer science.

Oxbridge and imperial msc in computer science is on a different level compared to Nottingham since it is a stem subject.
Oxbridge and imperial are A LOT MORE RESPECTED AND HAVE TONS more of ai research compared to Nottingham
Reply 8

Would you say it's better to go to a Russell Group uni like Newcastle, Cardiff ect.. (which do not require A level Maths) to do my Bsc Computer science even though I would not like the programme structure for the fact that there is only one module or so for AI instead of going to Sussex, RHUL where I like the course structure's emphasis on AI?
Well don't you sound like a right jerkoff.

Where did i state that Nottingham is better.
I simply stated that Nottingham is a respected university that gives you a good basis for an application to those universities at postgraduate level.
Oxbridge and imperial msc in computer science is on a different level compared to Nottingham since it is a stem subject.
Oxbridge and imperial are A LOT MORE RESPECTED AND HAVE TONS more of ai research compared to Nottingham
Royal Holloways actually very good for CS from what I've read.

As long as your not going to a BBC course, and can prove yourself at undergraduate level you should be fine.

The differences between RG's are minimal.

Except for the top cluster oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial.

It really depends more on how your perform at undergraduate level imo.
Would you say it's better to go to a Russell Group uni like Newcastle, Cardiff ect.. (which do not require A level Maths) to do my Bsc Computer science even though I would not like the programme structure for the fact that there is only one module or so for AI instead of going to Sussex, RHUL where I like the course structure's emphasis on AI?
Well don't you sound like a right jerkoff.

Where did i state that Nottingham is better.
I simply stated that Nottingham is a respected university that gives you a good basis for an application to those universities at postgraduate level.

u said oxbridge and imperial msc in computer science wouldn't be any different compared to Nottingham. That's bad enough
That is not what i said, that's what you inferred and quite frankly don't know how. Your reading and comprehension needs some serious work before uni.
u said oxbridge and imperial msc in computer science wouldn't be any different compared to Nottingham. That's bad enough
Reply 13
Would you then say that a computer science degree from RHUL and Nottingham would be similar? If so could you show me how you would rank universities by tier for computer science (only taking into account research and reputation) including Newcastle, RHUL, Nottingham, Cardiff, Sussex and Queen University Belfast and Lancaster (none of them require A Level Maths)
Reply 14
Most undergraduate courses focus on the fundamentals of Computer Science. Even the ones with AI in the title won't really get to the details until you get to masters and PHD level.

So my recommendation is try to get into a good university that doesn't need maths (Newcastle for instance) and then do your utmost to get a 2:i. With a 2:i you can then transfer to a host of other universities offering a masters in AI.
Reply 15
Original post by fbacc
Most undergraduate courses focus on the fundamentals of Computer Science. Even the ones with AI in the title won't really get to the details until you get to masters and PHD level.

So my recommendation is try to get into a good university that doesn't need maths (Newcastle for instance) and then do your utmost to get a 2:i. With a 2:i you can then transfer to a host of other universities offering a masters in AI.

Which one would you recommend between Nottingham, Newcastle, Lancaster and Bath( A in AS Math)? And how would you in Computer science for research and reputation compared to top unis?
Reply 16
All good universities. Lancaster is non Russell if that is important to you. Choose any of these based on your likelihood to put the effort in.

Your second sentence fails my sub standard human parser I am afraid. What do you mean?
Which one would you recommend between Nottingham, Newcastle, Lancaster and Bath( A in AS Math)? And how would you in Computer science for research and reputation compared to top unis?
Reply 17
Original post by fbacc
All good universities. Lancaster is non Russell if that is important to you. Choose any of these based on your likelihood to put the effort in.

Your second sentence fails my sub standard human parser I am afraid. What do you mean?

Sorry I meant "How would you rank those unis for Computer Science in terms of research and reputation" ? My main goal is to go a uni where I know that there would not be a problem with the quality of the course when applying for Masters at ICL, Oxbridge, Edinburgh ect.. for example.

Thanks
Reply 18
Your really not going to touch much to do with actual research on an undergraduate degree course. What will matter most for jobs and further education is getting a good degree from a good university. Any of those universities would be classed as good. The next hurdle is which one will you be able to dedicate yourself to to get a 2:i or 1st. Only you can answer that. Success at University is more in your hands than any other time. Choose the one that excites you the most and go for it.
Sorry I meant "How would you rank those unis for Computer Science in terms of research and reputation" ? My main goal is to go a uni where I know that there would not be a problem with the quality of the course when applying for Masters at ICL, Oxbridge, Edinburgh ect.. for example.

Thanks

Nottingham, Lancaster and Bath are all equally fantastic universities. Pick the one that you like the most regarding course content and location.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending