The Student Room Group

Model agency scam

Scroll to see replies

I got a text, then email and then a phone call from some dude called Ray... this is the email I got, is yours the same? Firstly, we would like to say well done for getting to this stage. Our creative team loved your photo and you have successfully passed our selection process. Please read through this email thoroughly before confirming acceptance, as we only have a limited number of appointments and therefore only wish to invite in serious applicants. Appointments are currently open on a first come first served basis. You have been shortlisted within your age category and we would therefore like to offer you the chance to come to one of our studios (London, Birmingham or Manchester) in the next couple of weeks for a photo shoot. Here we can see your true potential to become a model and you will get the opportunity to work with our team of stylists, makeup artists, hairstylists, photographers and other industry professionals.We have years of knowledge and experience which will be a great asset to you, especially as you are just starting up in the industry. We aim to help you establish the following:What type of model you areWhich agencies would best accommodate you and your lookWhat tools you are going to need to get startedHow to get paid work in the modelling industryMost importantly, we can give you detailed advice and training that will help you to break into the modelling industry.When you begin applying for agencies and looking for work, you are going to be compared to hundreds of other applicants so you will need to stand out from the crowd. To achieve this, you really need to go to an established photographic studio where you can both find out if you have what it takes. Our studios have offered us a limited number of 4 hour photo shoots for applicants that are serious about breaking into the modelling industry. On the day you will have 3-4 hair and makeup changes to see how versatile your look is. You will have indoor and outdoor location shoots (depending on the weather) to see how you perform in a professional environment, as well as in front of the public. If you are successful on the day and our team feel that you have modelling potential and believe that you could go out and get paid work, you will be invited to have a consultation with one of our image consultants. They will go through all of your photos and help you work out which area/s of modelling you should pursue. If you wish to take the next step, we will then look at building you a suitable portfolio. A portfolio is your visual C.V. and will be tailored to your chosen area/s of modelling and your budget . We will then give you direction as to which agencies to forward your images onto and ideally, in a matter of 3-4 weeks you should be signed up to an agency and getting some work coming in. All of our packages include advice and guidance about agencies, contracts,
Original post by FreyaLawrie
I got a text, then email and then a phone call from some dude called Ray... this is the email I got, is yours the same? Firstly, we would like to say well done for getting to this stage. Our creative team loved your photo and you have successfully passed our selection process. Please read through this email thoroughly before confirming acceptance, as we only have a limited number of appointments and therefore only wish to invite in serious applicants. Appointments are currently open on a first come first served basis. You have been shortlisted within your age category and we would therefore like to offer you the chance to come to one of our studios (London, Birmingham or Manchester) in the next couple of weeks for a photo shoot. Here we can see your true potential to become a model and you will get the opportunity to work with our team of stylists, makeup artists, hairstylists, photographers and other industry professionals.We have years of knowledge and experience which will be a great asset to you, especially as you are just starting up in the industry. We aim to help you establish the following:What type of model you areWhich agencies would best accommodate you and your lookWhat tools you are going to need to get startedHow to get paid work in the modelling industryMost importantly, we can give you detailed advice and training that will help you to break into the modelling industry.When you begin applying for agencies and looking for work, you are going to be compared to hundreds of other applicants so you will need to stand out from the crowd. To achieve this, you really need to go to an established photographic studio where you can both find out if you have what it takes. Our studios have offered us a limited number of 4 hour photo shoots for applicants that are serious about breaking into the modelling industry. On the day you will have 3-4 hair and makeup changes to see how versatile your look is. You will have indoor and outdoor location shoots (depending on the weather) to see how you perform in a professional environment, as well as in front of the public. If you are successful on the day and our team feel that you have modelling potential and believe that you could go out and get paid work, you will be invited to have a consultation with one of our image consultants. They will go through all of your photos and help you work out which area/s of modelling you should pursue. If you wish to take the next step, we will then look at building you a suitable portfolio. A portfolio is your visual C.V. and will be tailored to your chosen area/s of modelling and your budget . We will then give you direction as to which agencies to forward your images onto and ideally, in a matter of 3-4 weeks you should be signed up to an agency and getting some work coming in. All of our packages include advice and guidance about agencies, contracts,

Firstly, Did you send your "photo" to anyone lately? Why didn't you explain clearly what's happening? I mean, a little background story before you get those texts, emails, and calls? If you didn't send out any photos to anyone, then I'm sure it was 100% scam. You can check their emails or phone number by look them up on sites or simply Google them. Maybe you will luckily find some reports or complaints if they really are scammers.
Reply 62
Hi. Did you go ahead with this shoot? They contacted me today. And i paid £50 over the phone. Freaking out now.
I’ve heard of them
I signed up for NXtalent and they rang me
So did I right now, I’m freaking out too. I did it on NX Talent

Original post by IneseS
Hi. Did you go ahead with this shoot? They contacted me today. And i paid £50 over the phone. Freaking out now.
I heard from NX talent today, and I want to make they are legit as it seems a bit too suspicious
Have you booked the shoot, they contacted me today and I’m freaking out about it because I don’t lnow what to do
Original post by IneseS
Reply 68
They contacted me too, it's obvs a scam. I payed 50 and want to get it back so just gonna go there.My appointment is 03/06/2019, gonna go there knowing they are scammers and will be like *sorry meh changed my mind just came to collect the deposit* We'll see how will they react, might record everything too.. Haha
Reply 69
We can go there 03/06
Monday 9:30 and make a scene get our money back, easy
Original post by Caitlin01xoxo
Have you booked the shoot, they contacted me today and I’m freaking out about it because I don’t lnow what to do

Original post by IneseS
(edited 4 years ago)
I just had the same thing happen to me this morning, with the exact same process and details. The only difference is the number and she called me and told me it was legitimate. The company is nx talent. does anyone know if this is a scam?
Reply 71
Omg.. I’m booked in for next Sunday paid a deposit for my daughter and myself... is the only way to be refunded to turn up?😭
Reply 72
Same thing appended to my fiance, we didn't pay yet but I'd like to know if it this NX talent is a fake company or not. Could you guys tell what did they say when you actually meet them?
It’s a scam, I looked into it and everyone was scamed who did it. They kept ringing me I told them no I don’t want to it’s a scam and the person was swearing at me
Original post by phoebe m
I just had the same thing happen to me this morning, with the exact same process and details. The only difference is the number and she called me and told me it was legitimate. The company is nx talent. does anyone know if this is a scam?

y
Hi I was contacted today aswell. There asking me to pay a refundable deposit of 50 for a photoshoot. Is it a scam for sure? As need to know before I decide to proceed
Reply 75
It’s a scam, I looked into it and everyone was scamed who did it. They kept ringing me I told them no I don’t want to it’s a scam and the person was swearing at me

y

How do you know is a scam? Did you book an appointment and have you been there?
Reply 76
Yup. They only accept refunds within 7 days of your photo shoot appointment. They refunded me both mine and my daughters deposit. I didn’t mention anything about scam just said I wasn’t interested to keep them in a nice mood to get my money.

Not worth the hassle.
If a company is genuine you shouldn’t even be debating if it’s legit.

Look how many people are steering clear and how many people are anxious.

It’s not an agency and there’s no contract! They are the middle man who claims to be in contact with the modelling agency’s and by persuading you into buying an unnecessary expensive portfolio .. they make their money!

Trust me in most cases 1 up to date Polaroid of yourself is all agencies want to see .

y

Original post by Lucalav
How do you know is a scam? Did you book an appointment and have you been there?
Reply 77
Did you find out anything about this? I have a friend who has been offered a test shoot with them.
Do you think NX talent is legit?
Did u go to it?

Quick Reply

Latest